Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Diamond saw for cutting carbide

Bob W.

I recently purchased a few shrink fit tool holders for 1/8" shanks and they only allow about 1/2" of the tool shank to fit into the holder. Most of my tools are 2"+ long so this results in an unacceptable stick out. Does anyone know of a diamond cutter (Dremel?) I could use to shorten these tools quickly and easily?

Thanks,

Bob

Bob, in my experience with them, the shrink fits I've used in the past came with a set screw stop. Something seems wrong. When you use shrink fits repeatedly, a shelf develops in the tool holder and that becomes your permanent stop after awhile. The smaller holders had slits in them that assist with expansion. You should be able to get more than .50 in the holder easily.

We often back drill our shrinkfit holders to allow longer mould and die style cutters to be shrunk further in without having to shorten them. Just be aware of shrink fits with balancing screws as sometimes you can't drill these due to the depth of the balancing screws.

Bob, we've run into the same problem. Some sort of little ceramic cut off wheel would surely be ideal - but we don't do it often enough to justify any time spent exploring that option. If you have a regular bench grinder with a green wheel, just use the corner of the wheel to cut through the shank. Takes just a few seconds. If you're doing it often, you'll knock the entire corner off the wheel pretty quickly though.

Use a diamond cutoff wheel to score the shank. Then clamp the carbide in a vise and hammer it off with one swing. This may not work as well with larger dia. endmills. After you snap off the shank, you should face and chamfer the end with a diamond wheel or Deckel grinder.

• Like 1