Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

solid fillet radius FTP site

mikechvz

i just uploaded a file to the X4 files folder named 'Radius Challenge".

i marked all the edges in red that im having difficulty with. They all need to have a .313 rad, but i cant get them to work together? any help is greatly appreciated. Ive tried a few different ways but its to the point where i think im confusing my self somewhere. thanks in advance, any suggestions?

if you cant allow for a .005" rad then you are out of luck, as

solid works and space claim can only get a .27 rad with out erroring

put the .005 rad in and it can do it

space claim allow's you to remove the .005 rad (SW does not)

Do you want an .stp file of any of these?

man THIS right here is exactly what i need!!! thank you sir, and yes please

if you cant allow for a .005" rad then you are out of luck, as

solid works and space claim can only get a .27 rad with out erroring

put the .005 rad in and it can do it

space claim allow's you to remove the .005 rad (SW does not)

Do you want an .stp file of any of these?

this one with the edges instead of the rad is perfect. Space Claim? im unfamiliar with this

Old School process.

To many people forget to use Boolean Remove as part of a process to create models. Here is an example of a part that required that process.

#1 Make the solid without the flutes.

SOLIDNOFLUTES_zpsf3290dbf.png

#2 Make the Flutes using the same shape the length of the shape you want removed.

FLUTE_zps54a83118.png

#3 Draw a shape to remove or Boolean Remove that is only part of the Radius as seen here in the green. To create this you create the Radius and close it. Then use the Planes by nomral to pick the line. Then draw the shape at each place. You could mirror the shape as well. The use the solid sweep doing just the chains up to the one side.

REMOVE313ENDSONFLUTE_zps86a97546.png

#4 If removed you have the Radius on the Flute we are going to remove from the body. If not then do a Boolean Remove from the Flute to create part of the shape we need. FLUTEWITH2PARTSREMOVED_zps390acc0e.png

#5 We see the edge left from the 2 shapes removed from the flute. We then need to solid fillet it to create the radius that will keep the square corners like we are looking for. Doing that we will then see the shape look like this with the radius on the part in yellow.

FLUTEWITH313DONETOFLAT_zps1d3294de.png

#6 Now we have the shape on the flute we are looking for and we need could do like I did where I just did Xform rotate or we could use the pattern function in solid to rotate the feature once we remove it once from the solid.

4FLUTESTOREMOVE_zps7257f40d.png

#7 Turn on the Level that has the main body on it. I always teach people levels are you friend not your enemy. If I give you a 1000 prints and say put them in filing cabinet and you just throw them in there without organizing them what kind mess will that be? Same with making models use the levels and let them be your friend. Here is a good case the Level 1 is my main body and Mike did a great job using his levels. Now we have our 4 flutes on top of our main body and we just remove them.

5SOLIDS_zps94a19458.png

#8 We now have our part like we wanted without having to make any extra changes to the model to get blends or other things.

COMPLETESOLID_zps66e34122.png

I always tell people think about how you are going to machine the part. Use the toolpath as your process to create geometry to remove things and to make features. This is an example of where 3 things had to be done in removing and then doing a fillet to create the shape we wanted that we could then remove from our feature. Sometimes we need to make things a lot bigger, longer or larger than what we want to get what we need. I draw geometry all the time for 5 axis toolpaths. People swear by this and swear by that and will take hours fighting a toolpath to make it get close to what they want. I draw my geometry and get exactly what I want the way I want that I know will run the machine the way I want. Extra work yes, better quality and more predicable is what I care about. Think outside the box sometimes and understand how back plotting toolpaths helps you, and using solids you can take away that represent your endmill, your chamfer tool, radius cutter or even your ball endmill will help you get the results you are after.

Hopefully this was helpful and teaches others something being a little crazy is not all that bad. :thumbsup:

• Like 4

I thought I was the only one who drew his solids like that Crazy. I have been drawing them like that since V8. its the only way I find works good for me. draw each component of the parts and thenadd or remove from many model. makes adding rads and corners a lot easier I find. one problem I have been having is sometimes when I create a solid like that I go back into it later or next day or when ever, the solid is corrupt. and will not regen. I have to delete and recreate the solid. not always but enough to make it annoying.

Glad to help and love to teach others what I know. Not that I am some expert or guru, just a regular guy trying to earn a living. I am thankful for this forum and glad to give back to this place. I had people on this forum get together when I almost died earlier this year and raise money to help me and my family. I was out of work for 8 weeks and yes some bills did not get paid, but we were able to keep food on the table and a roof over our head thanks to this place. I am glad to do these things and yes it does take a little time, but it is nothing to me compared to the ones who did that for me and my family. I will never forget it and had almost given up on this place, but know I am here till the close the doors.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...