Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T office smokers

Scott Bond

Good morning

as an ex smoker myself , I understand totally about other peoples wants- and needs to smoke. I wouldn't think of pushing my no smoking ways on them. But their smoke goes in my office and I can't breath mad.gif . I know when I was a smoker I didn't realize just how offensive I was.

I realize in today's economy jobs are hard to come by, and I need to put up with something.

This is choking me, yesterday's smoke was really thick, and I said something , so today I heard the comment that "only you complain Scott " confused.gif

One time in my one year and 2 months employment. confused.gif

No I am not the only one,,,check out the legal state of cal. posted no smoking signs.

Does anyone need a programmer?

Watch for me at your freeway ramp

" Will work for $100k P.O. "

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no-smoking in our office in front, but I happen to be fortunate enough to have my 4 walls smack dap in the shop. So I get to smoke while I work (smoking is permitted in the shop) I sometimes wish there would be a ban, cuz I have NO will power on my own to quit.

The only problem is some of the Dinosours that have been here since Christ was a kid would leave if there was a smoking ban, and they are to valuble to loose to something as trival to the smoking police.

Scott, you live in CA. It is illegal to smoke in public buildings in CA. This includes out in the shop, Toolfab. wink.gif

It is illegal to smoke within (somewhere around) 10 feet of an entrance to a public building.

You're well within your rights. Show them a finger, (You pick which one,) and tell them to take it somewhere else. That's not only illegal, it's rude.

At very least, set up a fan to blow the air back out of where it's coming in.

'Rekd

[ 10-03-2003, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: Rekd ]

I hear ya Toolfab

same at my shop. I smoke. our office is on the floor with 2 doors and a fan. I look at it this way. We got guys pooring cutting oil on there boring bars.

you wanna whine about cig smoke rolleyes.gif

gimme a break. machine shops gotta be one of the dirtiest places to work(outside a foundry)

think about all the nasty crap you stick your fingers in. ( dont tell your girl) wink.gif

Hi Mayday

quote:

We got guys pooring cutting oil on there boring bars.

I like that smell, and the good 1960's octain gas, also the smell of burning rubber at the stock car track. Yestureday I was whinning, Today I'm fighting mad. biggrin.gif

Tommorow I will(proly)need a new job because I said something.

quote:

The only problem is some of the Dinosours that have been here since Christ was a kid would leave if there was a smoking ban, and they are to valuble to loose to something as trival to the smoking police.

When my company built us a brand new building 3 years ago,they said it would be "smoke free" even in the shop.

All the smokers said that they would "find new jobs" if they couldn't smoke!

I am still waiting for them to leave! biggrin.gif

And BTW I'm an X drinker/Smoker!

I used to work with a guy that used the cnc as his ashtray. When done with his smoke he would toss the butt in the sump. Every couple of months we would have to clean the coolant pump out. Yuck!

Where I live there is no smoking in any public place. This includes restaurants and even bars. Yes bars. That sure caused a firestorm of controversy when first implemented. Now most people would not want to go back to the old way. When I go for trips to other cities where smoking is permitted I can't believe how good I have it at home.

Scott. How about getting some cigars or the smelliest incence and firing them up to see what reaction you get. Actually, getting a fan and blowing it back is probably the best option.

I don't suppose just asking them to not let their smoke get into your lungs would do any good.

Mayday.

quote:

you wanna whine about cig smoke

I don't want to get into a pi$$ing contest but the truth is cig smoke kills. Plain as that.

Phil

Scott,

What your employer is doing is against the law.

There are a lot of things wrong with Kalifornia,

but I never realized how nice the anti smoking

laws were till I spent the weekend in Arizona.

If you are so inclined, call one of those

ambulance chasers who advertise on the back of

buses "Dial 1800 Get Cash"

You can make yourself some money and totaly screw

your boss.

I'm an ex 3 pack a day guy myself. I've been clean

for 14 years and just the smell of a cigarette

makes me physically sick. I could not and would

not work in an office where people smoke.

I dont smoke never have....

but I do go out to Bars and concerts at night.

I get the impression that the poeple that made the law have no intention of ever going to a bar or out at night unless it is within 1 mile of their house.

Bad enough to tell people what they can do when you arent around.

What is this iraq

quote:

cig smoke kills. Plain as that.

yes I know, listen to the news everything Kills nowadays.

before you think offensive of me. I respect anyone who dont smoke. I go a resterant, I ask for non smoking. I go to eat not smoke. yes the bars around here you need night vision. I cant even take that. I dont smoke at home in the house. I'll go outside.

My only point here is if a guy on the floor complains about smoke he/she should look at there enviornment. read the labels on that way oil,coolant,cutting oil. cig smoke is maybe the last thing in a shop that will get them.

quote:

I don't want to get into a pi$$ing contest but the truth is cig smoke kills. Plain as that.

+1

Scott, like I said, it's illegal. And rude. Get yourself some stink bombs, incense, (the nasty stuff), and some magnese.. mix it all up in a pot and light that sucker up out where they're smoking... wink.gif

One more thing, I smoke. I don't smoke in the shop. I don't smoke in my house, (never have, thanks mom! biggrin.gif ) I don't smoke around my son.

'Rekd

I see you point Mayday, but in their defense they

choose to work in that environment.

If I smoke near someone I'm making that choice

for them. I smoke because I want to and respect

anyones choice not to. I only smoke a

couple cigs a day now and soon hope to

completely quit, wish it was as easy to give up as

the beer was. (almost 3 yrs. now)

Shame on me if I ever feel I have the right to

push my second hand smoke on anyone. Let them

make up their own mind.

PEACE biggrin.gif

[ 10-03-2003, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: Hardmill ]

MAyday

quote:

before you think offensive of me

That is the farthest thing from my mind.

I agree we work in an enviroment that is not so good for our health. After cleaning the fans on the back of the machines I have often wondered how much of that crap is also in my lungs.

Phil

quote:

Scott is this Ziggy?

jAYK He smokes but out further near the big doors, he is as pleasant as you and when I asked him he was ok with it. It's the lathe guys area behind me, he got me going with your the only one that complains comment. Jay I am trying to be professional, I am avoiding old ways, That is why I am writeing here.

If I get to nutty today , I will have more stink on me tommorow.

quote:

I need to take a shower before going to bed.

My wife complains when I get home, you stink like the shop. she can smell the scent of coolant from accross the room.

by the way no flame's from my end of this thread. just like to stick up for the underdog. besides that was my favorite cartoon biggrin.gif

Well , I am a smocker!

I don`t smoke at home ,mostly at work and after drinking smile.gif

At work always during set-up and program writing .

I have my own little office so this is not hurting anyone.

I many years worked 12-13 hours every working day and night shifts too being leading machinist and programmer too and I am used to coffee with a cigarette now , can not stop it .

Good mug of coffee and a cigarette never hurts me !

Iskander teh who doesn`t drink and smoke will die healthy man smile.gif

quote:

I don`t smoke at home ,mostly at work and after drinking

+1 Iskander, I am the same way. I just feel that it is my decission when to and not to smoke.

Mayday, I don't smoke in resturants either, but going to a bar and NOT being able to smoke while I sip my Kettle One would drive me nuts.

Funny how we have laws in states that tell YOU were you can and can't smoke because it "offends" people but idiots drive 90 m/h while drinking coffee reading the paper, shaving, and talking on there cell phone. Thats OK? We protect the rights of non-smokers...fine What about the smokers?

This is a touch subject right now living in a town taht is just 10 miles south of the new york state border where they just passed the no smoking in bars law. I am a smoker, have been all of my life and we all can argue until we are blue in the face both for and against the issue. But it just does not make any sense to me. If the darn things are so bad for you and so disgusting, why are they legal? The states make money off of them. Yes they do kill but so do alot of other things that aren't as closely descriminated against. It all started with people sueing over people supposedly dying from smoking or the cig manufacturers not telling you whats in them. As far as that look at some of the hazardous stuff in your shop, go look through the MSDS and I bet you find one that says trade secret or something to that affect. They will never make cigs illegal. It would be a prohabition all over again. And if enough smokers stood up against all these taxes on cigs it would be another Boston tea party. As a smoker myself I do respect others wishes but they too as non-smokers must respect mine. Don't walk into an empty bar while I am smoking and sit down right next to me, damn near in my lap and ask me to put my smoke out. Thats rude also. Its really a no win situation that people and the government have brought on themselves.