Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

New Swarf Milling Tool Path

oneyankfan1

I may be doing something wrong, but it seems to me that the new swarf milling under surface/solids in the multi axis doesn't have the customization of the depth cuts and multi pass that the clasic has, im try to swarf a wall/floor combo and want to do rough and finish leaving .030 for each axialy and radialy and cant figure it out. The layer setting on the new swarf wants to will run the multi pass but it wants to run the tool path twice (rough/finish, rough/finish)but it wont leave .030 for an axial finish pass it just does the .125 depth cuts all the way down . i added screen shots for both.

post-46368-0-48927700-1389298544_thumb.png

post-46368-0-90942700-1389298555_thumb.png

That option is on the classic swarf which is the pic on the right and yes that tool path works fine, the pic on the left is the new swarf tool path and the depth cuts and multi pass options are achieved differently, but if you set the depth cuts labeled "Depth Steps" it with cut .25 deep all the way down to the bottom of the cut, also the multipass option is suposed to be controled with "Number Of Layers" under the "Pattern Layers" but if i set that to 2 and put in .030 it generates a tool path that runs twice, it will run a rough pass then run a finish pass of .030, but then it will repeat the exact same tool path. Can anyone replicate this? I attached the settings screen shot that i am talking about.

post-46368-0-90604600-1389356673_thumb.png

I am running in to the exact same problem. Want to do a rough then a finish pass at each depth (slice). It is duplicating the toolpath twice just like oneyankfan1 said. The walls I am machining are fairly thin and I would like to be able to rough and finish each depth as I go down the wall. Does anyone have any ideas because there really is no documentation on how to use this new toolpath that I could find. I guess for now I will go back to the good old swarf toolpath but I really wanted to use the new one because it has the ability to round internal corners.

I like the new Multi-axis paths for some things but there is still a the end of the day reasons to use the Classic paths

Same with the Surfacing paths, there's some nice new functionality but it does not have the flexibility of the older paths at times

I simply use what works for my situation and hope the functionality that is missing will eventually get added

From my end, i think the new milling Swarf is very impressive. well for twisted blades new swarf rocks, where the classic failed to follow the twisted surfaces correctly. i will post some pictures done on the new swarf milling, i like it a lot, mastercam promise to add trochoidal 5axis in next release.

I almost never use the classic stuff anymore

The Advanced module will do just about anything you want short of fetching a cup of coffee.

Its just a matter of figuring out how.

I did a big casting for the Navy late last year.

The first side I did old school and it took me about 3 weeks to program it.

On the second side, I figured out how to use some Advanced 5X toolpaths on a 4X horizontal boring mill.

I got the second side done in a week... it ran much fast and looked a lot better too.

It can be frustrating learning to use those toolpaths, but they are well worth the effort.

I almost never use the classic stuff anymore

The Advanced module will do just about anything you want short of fetching a cup of coffee.

Its just a matter of figuring out how.

I like to do a down and dirty simple ramp contour for cboring. Make a pass at Bottom.

Still trying to figure out how to do it with dynamic contour. I know you guys are talking multiaxis here but I thought it was relevant "classic paths vs new paths"

Seems to me like the Sorting, Sequence, By Slice is broken.

I tried more than a few different scenarios and it just won't work the way one would expect it to.

Weird thing is the program will repeat depending on the number of layers entered into the Pattern Layers field.

So, if you have say 10 layers and Sorting set to "Sequence, By slice" you'll get a program that repeats 10 times.

Only thing that seems to make sense if you were to use this only for 1 depth step at a time.

Hey guys,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention (and thanks to Matt for emailing QC to bring this thread & the problem to our attention on Friday afternoon). It's definitely a bug, and we've got it logged as bug #D-09273. The team will be looking at it shortly.

Cheers,

Thank You Aaron for getting right on this. I think this new toolpath will be a great addition to our tool set once it gets tweaked in. Is there any sample files with this toolpath applied to it? It would be nice to see for reference. I haven't seen any real documentation on this yet.

Hey guys,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention (and thanks to Matt for emailing QC to bring this thread & the problem to our attention on Friday afternoon). It's definitely a bug, and we've got it logged as bug #D-09273. The team will be looking at it shortly.

Cheers,

Couldnt agree morre with cam man and you guys have hit a home run with X7.

CamMan - It doesn't have the filtering options of the old toolpaths, but I'd be happy to take a crack at your file and see if I can point you in the right direction.

Once I am finished programming this part I will see if I can send you a file. I doubt I can send the whole part with it being from a military defense contractor. I will see what I can do. I just know that driving the same geometry with the new swarf milling generates a lot more code than the swarf 5 axis. One other thing may I ask is how do you get the corner rounding to work properly in the new swarf toolpath. I could only get it to generate simulated arcs in certain areas even though all corner radii were the same. well anyhow I will see if I can send you something. Thanks.