Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Roughing end mill for steel

Bob W.

I am currently roughing some large steel parts with a 1/2" end mill and 1" depth of cut. The chips are coming off pretty long and they are clogging up the chip conveyor. Is there a good roughing end mill for steel with an interrupted flute to keep the chips smaller so they don't clog things up? I am using 2D HST core roughing toolpaths. This is a production job and I need a roughing solution. Ideally it would be an indexable end mill with a long length of cut that would work well for HST toolpaths. I tried a high feed indexable tool from Sandvic and it didn't work out well at all for my application.

Thanks,

Bob

Technology sure has changed.

The problem here isn't tool life, bad parts or inconsistent results.

The problem is making chips so fast the chip conveyor can't deal with it. LOL

That's a good problem to have.

My experience with chips produced by roughing endmills is that they are difficult to deal with too.

They are very dense like heavy sand and create their own issues

I'm wondering is a hi helix end mill might produce a shorter chip??

• Like 1

Technology sure has changed.

The problem here isn't tool life, bad parts or inconsistent results.

The problem is making chips so fast the chip conveyor can't deal with it. LOL

That's a good problem to have.

My experience with chips produced by roughing endmills is that they are difficult to deal with too.

They are very dense like heavy sand and create their own issues

I'm wondering is a hi helix end mill might produce a shorter chip??

This is on a vertical mill with dual chip augers. The problem is the long chips form a mat over the trough that the auger sits in so they don't get run out of the machine. After every cycle I spend 10 minutes clearing these chips and it is a real pain. When I was running the high feed cutter the chips were much smaller and they were cleared just fine.

Yeah, I was going to mention the Iscar Finishshred endmills.. they are supposed to break the chip.. never tried them myself either though..

I had this same problem on some large forgings where the machine just couldn't get rid of chips fast enough.. I ended up changing strategies to a High Feed Style mill which changed the chip geometry (and threw them farther) and never had to look back.. so yeah I never really solved the problem.. I just punted..

I've had some great luck personally with the Iscar Solidshreds in stainless, but their normal "chatter free" cutters worked great in regular. I know Sandvik has an equivalent, but the shop I was helping out at was an Iscar place, so I haven't tried them, although I'd love to.

Unfortunately, I haven't played too much with a lot of their insert stuff, except by proxy..