Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

left & right

Elad

Hi,

If i have 2 parts that are the same exept 1 is left and the other is right, i program only one of them and then i use mirror to make the other one.

After doing this, i have to reverse the chains in the operations.

Did you notice that if i reverse the chain that compensation direction is changed and i have to change it back.

I also noticed that if i have more then 1 chain in the operation and i reverse them,the compensation direction doesn't chage at all smile.gif

bug?

[ 10-22-2003, 04:27 AM: Message edited by: elad ]

Elad,

I've seen this. What I have noticed is that if you mirror an odd number of chains, you have to go back and reverse comp direction. If you have an even number of chains, they stay the same. It's like each chain mirrors all, which cancels itself if there is an even number of chains.

Using Toolpath-Transform-Mirror (as Plasttav mentioned) should take care of this for you. Although, I've found this method to be buggy.

Thad

I get the same thing in mine as well. I've been avoiding mirror because of this.

When I do use mirror you dont have to go into each operation though. You can click the chain, select reverse, and select change sides. Puts the comp back to the right spot and you dont have to go into your contour parameters page to change the compensation control/compensation computer. Its not all that much faster but it helps smile.gif

PS I use v8.1.1 mill3 so this may be null and void to you

Greg

Never could get the toolpath mirror to work. Every time the bosses have us use it, it takes 5 times as long and messes up alot of parts. No matter how carefull you are somebody (including me) gets confused and messes something up.

With a mirrored parts I've always found having our designers create two seperate files for left and right to work best. All I have to do is import the toolpaths from one file into the other. Less mistakes and less confusion all around.

Bryan smile.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

For lefts and rights I always "physically" mirror the part then go into each individual operation and make sure the direction is going the right way, that it's contouring the correct side of the chain, etc... I have to do this because only about 10% of the time am I able to get Toolpaths, Mirror to work the wayy I want it to. I need my start points in specific locations due to appearance of many of the parts.

JM2C

+1000 to what James said !

Millman !

It will do Ok surface complex work mostly but can and will fall on jobs like pockets and contour !

Mostly in enter-exit and points for pocket and contour entering with 50 % of probability ,if you reverse direction of the toolpath .

And if you have revolved surfaces it can fall in milling them too (will mill from the inside ) sometimes .

I prefare to use the machine mirror command or siply mirror axe X or Y in home parameters machine page .

When milling direction is important I prefare

What james said .

In all other cases backplotting is a must and pay attention to the contour /pocket type toolpates .

Iskander teh lazy

[ 10-23-2003, 02:42 AM: Message edited by: plasttav ]

I haven't checked this on any of the recent releases but toolpath mirroring used to do the following. A simple contour using the ramp option. From the top to say 1 inch deep. Mirror the tool path. The mirrored toolpath would start 1 inch deep and ramp up. WTF?

Like I said, I haven't had time to check this and it's probably been fixed.

Bryan smile.gif

Well Plasttav we are using it for the complex surfaces like surface rough pocket and surface finish scallop and surface finish parelle. I understand the reversing of toolpaths is is doing what you have told it to do. You have ot remember we cut alot of plastices and model board and Aluminum here is that part programed as a mirror will produce the same part but mirrored and not crash the tool then I have to get conv cuts over climb cuts doesnt hurt my feelings guys.

+1000 on what james does when it comes to those paths that require that but again if I can get away with the other and keep a 20 mb toolpath redo down just by mirroring that orignal toolpath then I will do it and feel good about it.

Crazy Millman

I program the left hand and then mirror everything and save it as the right hand part. Yes, I do have to go back through the toolpaths chains and use the "reverse chain" and "change side" function, but doing this can save me days of work. A multiple dash number job I'm working on now takes me about three days to program completely from scratch. By mirroring for the opposite hand I can crank one out in about half a day. The thing that works so good is that I already have the tools, operations, toolpath sequences, and most of all, the same toolpath perameters that worked on the left hand part. i.e., depth of cut, final depth, finish passes etc.

I recommend working on this proficiency until you get it down pat. It's worth it.

John

biggrin.gif