Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Check mastercam quality and funtions before release ??

Life

Every time there's a new version, there are plenty of problems. often the same problems as the last update.

I have programmed the first program in X8.
Holderer come not with the surface finishing operations. Holderer are not included in the simulations, Worked in X7

Shaft problems !!! Holder options. Collisions checking, does not work unless the shaft is designed with holder.

General negative towards new user interface.

Spend lots of time to update and integrate new versions !!!

Tighten up !!!!!!!!!!!!

Greeting Leif

For the icons, right click in the toolbar area (not over an icon) and choose customize from the right click menu.  Then in the dialog window that comes up choose the options tab and check the box that says Large Icons.. makes the icons a much more reasonable size.

As for the pan instead of rotate that is a config setting..  Settings Menu -> Configuration -> Screen page .. then change the setting for Middle mouse button from Pan to Spin.

Sweet .

Thanks for the tips guys. :cheers:

It's been so long since I've configured MC I forgot quite a bit.

I jumped from X6 right to X8 and a new computer, so I was setting it up from scratch.

Got the large icons and the mouse wheel spin going, so I'm all set. B)

(Ugh...now I gotta DO something with it... :wallbash: )

They have tightened up from all I am seeing. the beta testing is better and they paying a lot of attention. I know they do not catch everything but much better then in the past.X8 was a strong release compared to the past. I think we are going to see allot more that on the next releases.

I use it a lot and really hate having to go back to X7 or earlier.

JM2C

I usually don't go back to check if something got fixed. I almost always find a different way of doing something and use that. I've got to get $#!+ done. I don't have the luxury of sitting around blogging about how dreadful something is. :yes:

I'm hoping for one last update to fix the few minor bugs that X7 still has let alone taking a chance of jumping into another mess with X8. for right now the whole shop has to use work a rounds in X7 to get things done but its hard to teach new people the right way when the right way doesn't seem to work. Love the software when its working great but simple things are getting over looked in a hurry to advance to a newer version IMO..

• Like 1

You will not see a update to X7 at this point, but I sure like know what work a rounds your whole shop has to do to get there jobs done.

Give some examples.

the main one that comes to mind that affects everyone often is that if a job is pathed for one machine with said machines tool numbering then at the last minute it is moved to a different machine with different tool numbering we cant just go into the path or the tool tab under the path itself and change the number ( used to be able to do this in X5  & X6 ) Now it will change to the number desired but will post out the original tool number it was pathed with. only work around that works is to change the tool number or reselect the tool out of the machines tool library its being run on and regening the path in order for it to post out the correct tool number in the NC code. there are problems with deleting tool out of the tool library when people try and clean out there tool library's of old tools no longer being used. only way to get around is to save all need tools into a new library then rename it back to the library name you choose.

also it seems like there was an issue with something when importing tool paths ops to use on new geo but that may have gotten addressed with the last update but the two above are just minor things unless you don't look at your code before running it then it can be major if you go to finish with a 1/8 ball endmill in the machine the paths were meant for originally but they get run on a different machine and the tool number gets changed but not updated when posted and you finish the piece with a 2 inch face mill. wouldn't be good on the operators end by any means. but IMO just minor things.

the main one that comes to mind that affects everyone often is that if a job is pathed for one machine with said machines tool numbering then at the last minute it is moved to a different machine with different tool numbering we cant just go into the path or the tool tab under the path itself and change the number ( used to be able to do this in X5  & X6 ) Now it will change to the number desired but will post out the original tool number it was pathed with. only work around that works is to change the tool number or reselect the tool out of the machines tool library its being run on and regening the path in order for it to post out the correct tool number in the NC code. there are problems with deleting tool out of the tool library when people try and clean out there tool library's of old tools no longer being used. only way to get around is to save all need tools into a new library then rename it back to the library name you choose.

also it seems like there was an issue with something when importing tool paths ops to use on new geo but that may have gotten addressed with the last update but the two above are just minor things unless you don't look at your code before running it then it can be major if you go to finish with a 1/8 ball endmill in the machine the paths were meant for originally but they get run on a different machine and the tool number gets changed but not updated when posted and you finish the piece with a 2 inch face mill. wouldn't be good on the operators end by any means. but IMO just minor things.

After changing the tool number you could try regenerating the operation even if it doesnt go dirty. This should update your tool numbers.

Maybe that is why I have never noticed this phenomenon, I regenerate when I change anything out of habit. Sometimes feedrates and coolant settings will not make an op go dirty, I always regen.

Lathe in X8 don't give me a choice. I can import a X6 file and ops don't go dirty. I save it in X8, pick it the next day and all ops are dirty. But I think this is a known issue.

Maybe that is why I have never noticed this phenomenon, I regenerate when I change anything out of habit. Sometimes feedrates and coolant settings will not make an op go dirty, I always regen.

Lathe in X8 don't give me a choice. I can import a X6 file and ops don't go dirty. I save it in X8, pick it the next day and all ops are dirty. But I think this is a known issue.

Yes, that is a known issue that is being tracked down. I have had the same issue, however it's not something I can force to reproduce.

Have you sent an example file to QC?

Also need to see if the lock feedrates is checked in the configuration. If you have different speeds and feeds applied to those tools for a library of tools they will not update like they use to. By popular demand the lock feedrates if the default now. It was never the default and anyone jumping version will have a very hard time with this one as it seems like the software is broken, but it is just acting the way it is defaulted to that is totally backwards to previous version. Again the majority of people love the lock feedrates and all the extra mouse clicks and problems it creates so that process is now the default process. Going from a previous version where you changed a tool from one library to another and it updated going to Versions where that is not the case it seems odd.

Yes seen it a lot. Better with the latest patch. Back into some Triple Turret work this week so I will see how well the new patch works.

The tool number thing has bit me several times. One of the many bugs with imported operations. Its too bad because having a bunch of saved operations can be a real time saver, but I always end up wasting a couple hours trying to figure out all the different bugs when using them. Recently I have just had to give up. CNC software doesn't seem to be overly interested fixing the bugs, the best thing you can do for your sanity is get different software, or accept that the software has lots of bugs and just keep looking for workarounds. Don't waste your time trying to get to the bottom of them, you will drive yourself nuts.

Its a habit to all of the seasoned programmers to regen every operation when not creating it from scratch. The tool numbering issue happens if programs are run on the same MD, CD, & Post but just on a different machine with different tooling and numbering for finishing rather than roughing. it also does this when changing MD,CD, & Posts to be run on completely different machine. The lock feedrates option I have never seen a positive use for this in the shop I work in. Its the first thing everyone disables when setting up a new install of mastercam due to it causing problems in the past versions. I have never sent in a file to QC because when I asked about it months ago I was told by others they are experiencing it as well so I figured there would be a update released to fix this as well as any other bugs that are still in X7.