Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X9 issues

johnner

Not sure if this is an issue or something that I don't know how to turn on/off...

I just switched to X9 from X8.

When in X8 and I make a toolpath "active" (green check on toolpath folder) and  the wireframe geom that is used for that toolpath will highlight in yellow.

This doesn't happen in X9 and I can't find where I might be able to turn this handy little feature on...

This is different than the " only display associative geometry " function.

I followed jparis' suggestion on migrating X8 to X9 and it worked pretty darn good !

I just had to make changes to the existing config settings.

Perhaps the reason this is happining is that I missed something...

any thoughts ?

thanks !

Right-Click in the Operations Manager. Choose "Display options". In the dialog box, there are checkboxes to "highlight geometry". You can choose different highlight colors for Wireframe, Drive Surfaces, and Check Surfaces...

That's it !

I have never noticed those options there before... I even glanced over that dialog box.

thanks

I spoke too soon on the changeover...

Everything worked and posted properly until I started a new project and posted toolpaths.

I am now getting comments and "N" numbers that i didn't have before today... Tool staging not happening either.

weird

That's it !

I have never noticed those options there before... I even glanced over that dialog box.

thanks

I spoke too soon on the changeover...

Everything worked and posted properly until I started a new project and posted toolpaths.

I am now getting comments and "N" numbers that i didn't have before today... Tool staging not happening either.

weird

It's a result of your Control Definition file being "updated" to X9. What  happened is your CD went back to the "default" settings, which don't match the way you setup your CD for X8.

Go to Settings > Machine Definition Manager. This will open your Machine Definition in your active Mastercam file. Then press the "Edit Control Definition" button. This opens the CD.

With the CD open, if you look through each page, you'll notice the settings don't match how you had it setup in X8.

Take the time to set it up in X9 with the settings you like. Then you can set the "Default settings for control type", and save yourself the hassle of the settings changing every time you upgrade Mastercam.

I've written about how to do this (save the CD defaults) in many different threads here on Emastercam. Try doing a search for "Control Definition default settings".

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

First of all This is not a rant, These are facts.

All these have been sent and confirmed with prism tech support.

Yes there are problems with X7 to X9. I am still using X6 because of these problems. I have contacted prism tech support and they agree these are current problems and some were supposed to be fixed with the first update that came out. they were not. Some of what I program are  large sheets on a router and when trying to use verify its doesn't show up properly.  I have is settings for stock remain in verify compare that keep changing.

The quality of the graphics are poor I am told that I have to use accurate zoom for it to show a clear picture.

This has been a problem since X7 and they know it. Another problem is with chaining in X9. when picking one chain of a slot for example choosing identical or shape match in settings, it picks the opposite side of the chain of original slot and only a partial part of the other entities. This prism also know as a Problem. Nesting is now included in the X9 release. It is also a huge disappointment. after importing parts you cant chain them. you have to run a chook find overlap and even then picking the entities explained earlier it wont find duplicates so I would have to pick these individually. the nest I just programmed had 50 slots.

I don't see the effort to correct the software problems and haven't heard from anyone on when or if they will be corrected. We have been a customer with mastercam for over 8 years.

Conclusion, the releases are not usable for us. I cant accurate zoom a 5' x 10' sheet a piece at a time, and I cant chain 50 slots one at a time. I think the nesting problem speaks for itself.

What is the solution from mastercam software developers. I read that other users are happy with the updated versions. it doesn't apply to what we do here at our company.

Guest MTB Technical Services

No matter how much memory you buy for a Fanuc, it is never enough. It is Fanuc that is archaic technology. Everyone else is blowing them away.

Pure ignorance.

You don't have a clue about it but keep pretending you do.

No matter how much memory you buy for a Fanuc, it is never enough. It is Fanuc that is archaic technology. Everyone else is blowing them away.

:rofl:

So, serious question, just how much memory do you think you can get on say a FANUC 30i Series control (includes the 30i, 31i, and 32i)? Yes this is a test.

It is FANUC that is ROBUST technology that is not susceptible to things like say STUXNET. :rofl: Everyone else is playing 2nd fiddle to FANUC marketshare-wise, there's nobody even in the same galaxy. :yes:

So, say what you want about FANUC being archaic, but more than likely it is the MTB's choice to have the control configured a certain way. If you knew anything about CNC Controls, you would know that. :yes:

Are there faster controls? Sure. Are their more inexpensive controls? Absolutely. Are there more feature rich controls? Without a doubt. Are there more reliable controls? No, not on your life. When my control of choice measures it's MTBF in the MILLIONS of hours, that's saying something and NOBODY comes even remotely close to that. :yes:

CNCControlMarketShare1.jpg

Not to diminish the rest of the mfr's...

CNCControlLongTail.jpg

Bandit at 9%? Seriously?

Have any new bandits been made since 1980?

RIght?

But to give credence to that number, I was recently in a shop where they had a bank (a dozen or more) of retrofitted Lagun (Bridgeport type) with Bandits. I was thinking :crazy: ... So they are out there. And in higher numbers than one would think. But that 9% is only among those others listed so it's not as many as it looks. Mark Twain said it best, "... lies, damn lies, and statistics.". :yes:

8MB Before you go to a 2GB data server?

This test was for keytar. :yes:

But yes, you are correct. No matter which way you slice it, 2GB is a HELL of a lot of storage space for part programs. Of course, in my limited 20+ years of experience in manufacturing, the largest program I've ever seen was somewhere in the vicinity of 500MB. It was a large multi-cavity mold with 5-Axis finishing. So, they could fit 4 of those programs in the FANUC. So they could fit the core and cavity with room to spare.

I'd be interested in trying a 4GB Card in a Dataserver just to see if it would work. Good chance it might.

2GB is more than enough. But 2MB should be standard, not a freaking option. Amongst other things....

What people either don't realize or don't understand is that FANUC sells controls strictly on an a'la cart basis. It is PURELY up to the machine builder to properly configure their machines for that task(s) at hand.

Some builders ( :cough: Mori :cough: ) nefariously option their machines so they can claim they are less expensive than the competition. It's up to the customer to spot it and call them on their :bs:

I hear you, but at some point the minimum needs to increase. No CNC control should have 100kB in 2015.

Not necessarily, remember, FANUC does SO much more than CNC controls. It's probably less than 50% of their overall business. I can think of several instances where 100kb would be the equivalent of putting in 1TB of RAM in your laptop. While no doubt that would be seriously cool, so few of us would actually put that to use it would be incredibly wasteful and cost ineffective.  

I get you though, FANUC should have a base package but, it's not their CNC Control Business model. Should that change? I think that is a valid discussion and I could certainly make a few arguments in favor of that, but by the same token, being the staunch capitalist I am, I believe the market should determine that. If I were to have my own machine shop, there are several builders that I would not ever even consider (market determination) because they improperly option their equipment. THere's only 3 that I would SERIOUSLY plunk my greenback down for Yasda hands down the #1 (also expensive as hell) then next would be mostly a tie between Makino and Matsuura.

2 axis lathe, sure 100kB probably could store the last 10 years of programs that we have run on ours.  

Since the whole Methods-Matsuura fallout, I know a few of shops going Yasada over Matsuura. One shop in particular with around 10 4/5 axis Mats jumping ship to Yasada. (East Coast)

2 axis lathe, sure 100kB probably could store the last 10 years of programs that we have run on ours.  

Since the whole Methods-Matsuura fallout, I know a few of shops going Yasada over Matsuura. One shop in particular with around 10 4/5 axis Mats jumping ship to Yasada. (East Coast)

Support is probably a large part of that. Matsuura has had to build up a dealer network from scratch for the most part. I believe there's only a few dealers that stayed with Matsuura. Support on 5-Axis is a REAL biggie. I know I've gone into a few shops where Mori was not providing support for 5-Axis and now they are Matsuura houses. :yes:

But, Yasda... you're probably not going to find a finer machine on the planet if you're being honest. Expensive as hell, but still an damn fine machine.