Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Capto rules

I can't show you the part but

I had to do some 4-40 x 3/8" deep threads in the bottom of a 2" deep pocket

wall clearance was .2" max

Material was titanium

It took a 16" gage length tool to reach the top of the pocket and the tool was 2.5" out of holder

This is an HSK-125 C8 tool holder with Capto C8 adapters stacked 16" long

The cutting tool is a Carmex thread hob 4" overall on a 6mm shank.

Stock, the tool had a DOC of .31" and we had to have it ground back to .400.

The grinder butchered the job and ground them back .500"

Here is the part that's was hard to believe...

total runout of the 6mm shank was .0002" and the butchered tool actually worked

Capto_1.jpg

• Like 7

We run capto on our lathes, including the Multus, which has a C6 spindle. We also run capto on our MU500 for the same reason as gcode. Excellent "stackability" enabling us to have modular tool length.

The new Multus U3000 has a C6 upper spindle, and the lower turret will be Capto as well. I love the stuff :)

Very impressive to say the least! With that much mass sticking out there and spinning...how would one calculate what is actually doable with respect to length, rpm and feedrate? Are there other variables that come into play? Is there a magic formula or software that you guys are using to calculate this for you? Does it matter or is it safer if the tool is running vertical vs. horizontally? Sorry for the questions but I am fascinated by this and not sure why I never thought about having to reach that far to get a job done. :clap:  :unworthy:  

I agree... I have had very good success with these in large 50 taper machines.

I tried to get the owner to buy the dampening extension with the solid carbide rod in it... but the price was a bit high. I heard that works really well to eliminate chatter on long reaches as well.

I've seen some major Capto failures, but to be fair they have either been way too optimistic with extension, or a workpiece, fixture, or machine tool component has brought the tool to a sudden stop. ie, it was on its way to a target point and something was blocking its path :)

I've seen some major Capto failures, but to be fair they have either been way too optimistic with extension, or a workpiece, fixture, or machine tool component has brought the tool to a sudden stop. ie, it was on its way to a target point and something was blocking its path :)

All the failures I've seen in Capto involved an interfenece. Never tried to spin too fast. Capto is way better than shïtsabore or DeAndre by far in my opinion.

Regarding that disk mill in the link, I'd try to find a solid holder for that cause it'd be bad enough on a stubby holder.

...to quote 'way too optimistic' lol!!!

Seeing most of these photos here I'd have put in that category :D

btw - Psycomill hasn't been around in ages. He used to drop here for a bit but used to always be on Practical Machinist. Anyone know or heard from him?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...