Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Things I took for granted, thread gages

jlw™

At a former employer, our budget pretty much allowed anything I wanted. To the point I never even knew how much some things costed. Here's an example of one:

Leitech Thread Depth Gages

http://www.leitech.com/combi.htm

I passed them out like candy before. Sheesh, just priced a few of these...

Any one know of an alternative that is affordable?

Eyeball? Unless you need to be extremely precise for some reason. Measure your bolt or thread gage, thread it into the part, measure from the top of bolt or thread gage, subtract that measurement from the OAL and that is the thread depth. You'll be within .005 no problem. There aren't any eyeballs involved except for reading the caliper.

Those thread depth gages are fancy, and they look nice, but I have never been able to justify their cost when you already have the thread gage and calipers. I saw some in the Emuge catalog a couple years ago and got a quote and said nevermind on that.

And if the rationale is the operators can't figure that out I would probably head to greener pastures, just sayin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You having a bad day or just need to feel smarter? You completely missed the point. Thanks for condescendingly teaching me how to check threads tho, as if it's some black art that only you've figured out. Point was I took stuff for granted as its easy to do. We often don't consider the cost of things if we don't see the price tag.

Maybe Shars will make them some day, as I'll not be buying any at that price. I'll use the newly uncovered bolt/caliper method Harry Potter just taught me until I can find some on budget. Some times it's just nice to have the easiest to use tool for a job.

• Like 1

Meh thinks that guy has a bit of an attitude leaning towards looking at me and how great I am. I went to the site and even though I been doing it by the ever so special caliper method so depth gauges looked awsome. Especaiily if your doing production work and need consitstancy in your thread depth and also want to save time by checking form at the same time.

• Like 1

Follow the link. Sometimes you need slightly better than the eyeball method.

Jlw,

There´s another thing you took for granted here: That Brian and everyone knew that you master Hogwarts stuff. With the second post, quoted above, I think that you lead some of us to understand you were looking for a way to measure it.

Sorry if I missed it too, but I don´t seen how Brian offended you. In the other hand, I kind of got how you deal with people asking / sharing "stupid" questions / opinions around you. I learned a lot asking / sharing "stupid" questions / opinions. Go to work everyday with a bag of them.

By the way: No link so far.

Don't know what happened to the link, it was there.

I wasn't offended, slightly perturbed maybe. I was stating I took it for granted, not looking for a way to measure threads. I'd like to find the same thing in a less expensive brand. To be honest, I rarely have to measure aby more any way but I'd like to order some for the guys who run my parts.

Here's something else I took for granted and never realized how expensive they are until I priced some:

http://www.starrett.com/metrology/metrology-products/precision-measuring-tools/bore-gages/Mechanical-Bore-Micrometers#currentPage=1&displayMode=grid&itemsPerPage=24&sortBy=wp/asc

I had a full set of Starrett from 2mm to 300mm. I will spot check features with tight tolerances occasionally just to keep people honest. My manager at the time told me to take them that no one even knew how to read them. Stupid conscience, I couldn't do it.

At a former employer, our budget pretty much allowed anything I wanted. To the point I never even knew how much some things costed. Here's an example of one:

Leitech Thread Depth Gages

I passed them out like candy before. Sheesh, just priced a few of these...

Any one know of an alternative that is affordable?

A shame they are not digital. Our machinists can't read standard mics.