Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Dual Monitor Set up ?

paulfell

I have read a fair bit on using dual monitors (or more) - this sounds very usefull and I am keen to give it a go.

I have an extra monitor, what I am after is a guide into exactly how to get MCX to display correctly on 2 monitors.

I would probably have planes and levels on 1 screen and Main screen on the other (Verify on another eventually?)

Is it easy to setup - do you need software to run 2 monitors- are there settings to change in MCX etc etc

Any advice would be welcome 

• Like 1

Every "CAD" computer or laptop I've had was capable when I got it. For me its always been as simple as plug in the second monitor and drag a window over to the new screen. The hard part, if there is one, may be setting your primary. I always use the left one. If your computer is not ready you probably don't have a good enough graphics card any way, time for a new one.

I will have to sort another lead out - looking at back of pc - there is only one port for the lead i would normally use (VGA) - do i need a USB adaptor or a VGA splitter?

You will need a new video card, Ideally a Quadro Caad/Cam card or high end Nvidia gaming card

ATI cards can work, but there can be problems

It best to just stick with Nvida and be done with it

The current generation of video cards uses a Display Port connection, which looks sort of like a large network cable

Many cards have a DVI port and a Display port. Adapters are available if needed

I used to run dual monitors but not any more.  Now I run triple!  Email or part print on the left, Mcam graphics window on center (bigger, higher resolution screen), Ops manager, level manager, system monitor and Mastercam forum on the right.

likewise here

3 Dell 24" ultrasharps at work

Its got me spoiled though..  my desk at home is not big enough for three monitors

and now I feel shortchanged when I'm working at home

Time for a new desk!!!

• Like 1

Linux from long ago supports virtual desktops

every main Linux windows manager like KDE,Gnome,MATE or XFCE.

Now Windows 10 supports them too

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-use-multiple-desktops-in-windows-10/

You can use it with any decent graphic card

Not dual displays but still worth a try

JMHO

OK - It seems i need i need a nvidia card - the one i have been recommended  nvidia geforce 8400gs 256mb dual screen graphics card- so lets assume i get this and fit it - does this replace my other port (and use a splitter) does it work with my other VGA port - i.e. plug one in each, are there other options to try first (splitter or usb adaptor),

I cant see a HDMI port on pc. Any more advice welcome before i start trying things  

Just read the spec on Graphics card in PC (radeon 8570) - it says it supports upto 2 monitors which will do for now - so is there anyone using dual monitors with just one VGA port ? - if so, how do you do it?. There is definitely no HDMI ports - but there are spare USB's

Thanks - I am going to try an easy way first - there is a DVI-D port on PC - I have ordered a DVI-D to VGA Adaptor and will try that first, not overly hopeful - but adaptor was cheap and I have a spare VGA to VGA lead - I think it would be better if port was DVD-I - but adaptor says it will do job (we will see !) 

The 8800 series, codenamed G80, was launched on 8 November 2006 with the release of the GeForce 8800 GTX and GTS for the high-end market. A 320 MB GTS was released on 12 February and the Ultra was released on 2 May 2007.

That card is antique.  Is there a reason you can't use something more modern?  Are you on a really tight budget, or is this going in a really old computer?

Going on 10 years with dual monitors. I have used 3 and it is great, but at home no room for 3 27" monitors. I have 2 24" that I take on job sites when doing on site work, but that is about the extent of it. 

OLD PC is throwing money out the window IMHO. I would drop a safe before I would drop a hint. I showed one company where having their 5 programmers on old computers was costing them $250k in lost programming time. That was just programming time, that was not taking machine sitting or jobs being late or all the over time because they were still using X5 and not X8 at the time. They were finally able to move in HST toolpaths because they had the ability to use the most current software they didn't with the older computers.

Yes 600 sfm and .008 per tooth feed rates are possible in Ti getting 6-8 hours of tool life was the biggest lesson I think learned by that group.

I have 6 monitors, 3 on a bottom row with the outside ones tilted in and 3 on the top. 

Two of the monitors are connected to my Nvidia card and do the heavy lifting CAD/CAM, Vericut, simulations.  The others are using USB adapters and work fine for Email, PDF drawings, tooling catalogs, setup sheets generation etc.

I'm not bragging, just showing that you can mix graphic cards and USB adapters.  (okay, yeah I am bragging a little...)

• Like 2

usb adapters are too slow for heavy graphics. Best bet is to replace stone age video card with something from this century that actually has a dual output. 

I used to run 4 monitors but got tired of going back and forth, now I only use 2 side by side. 

Using a usb adapter would be the cheapest way to go to see if you can deal with the added visual information and to be able to manage it. Some people think that it would be better to have multiple monitors. Once they get them they have a hard time to make the transition. If I were offering advice (which I am) I would advise the cheapest way possible to make sure you will like it...then look around for someone that has a computer that would work for what you need and just steal theirs in the middle of the night, a little spray paint and they will never know.

Thanks to everyone for your input, I am now up and running using dual monitors, in the end i found a monitor with 2 ports (vga & dvi-d) and was able to use the dvi-d port on one monitor and vga on other.

I have tried it now for a few hours and its great- i have MCX main window on 1 monitor, and 3 windows open on other (levels manager, plane manager & Verify ) this works fine - although I would prefer Verify on a 3rd monitor as an ideal, I never considered using a second monitor until i read about it on this site- the advantages are obvious. My pc is old (2009) - but it runs x9 fine with no obvious speed issues - although I am sure there are a lot better systems out there. Whilst fresh in my memory- I thought I would put a few points down I have learnt which maybe useful to someone who was similar to me - oldish PC - fancies using 2 monitors - but thinks it may be a lot of hassle.

1/ Windows 7 supports 2 monitor setup - i watched a youtube video to show setup (very easy)- basically right click on desktop & select scren resolution - very easy from then on

2/ There are different types of dvi ports - mine is a dvi-d (check type before ordering lead)

3/ a cheap dvi-d adaptor will probably not work (requires a more expensive powered adaptor if using 2 VGA monitors)

4/ a VGA splitter will run 2 VGA monitors - but only allow duplicate screens ( not very useful)

5/ My set up seemed very easy to do in the end :-

Monitor 1 VGA male-VGA male lead - connected to vga female port on pc and vga female port on Monitor

Monitor 2  dvi-d male - dvi-d male lead connected to dvi-d female port on pc & dvi-d female port on Monitor

Due for new PC in next year- so will bear a lot of the advice in mind when ordering - thanks