Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Facing cuts air, no matter what

SlaveCam

Realistically, you don't need to create geometry if you use the pocket ops. Just select the solid face (and maybe an entry point) and you are good to go. 

You guys are right. The facing op is simple. I just think it is too simple. Below is a picture of a VERY simple part that MC completely bombs on.

errrr - go to contour and select single chain, and pick one of the curves. Select no comp (ie centre line) and for the lead in/out extend by 51% (for minimum air cut).

I know you're then facing with a one pass contour toolpath and not a face toolpath, but ???

Do you moan that when you have to ream a hole, you use a drilling toolpath because there isn't a toolpath called ream?

How difficult do you want to make things for your self?

I can moan, but geez, you can moan more.

Realistically, you don't need to create geometry if you use the pocket ops. Just select the solid face (and maybe an entry point) and you are good to go. 

You guys are right. The facing op is simple. I just think it is too simple. Below is a picture of a VERY simple part that MC completely bombs on.

Get a bigger face mill and cut it in one pass.

• Like 2

The facing on the 1st pic is going to be a lot faster than the one on the second ic

I don't normally agree with anyone but this is the exact same method I use for a LOT of things. Facing, almost always especially on tons of parts in a production run. The facing path don't stand a chance in most situations if you time it.

I do circles also, draw a circle mid tool and contour with no comp. Ramp path usually did 6 pcs today that way

• Like 2

errrr - go to contour and select single chain, and pick one of the curves. Select no comp (ie centre line) and for the lead in/out extend by 51% (for minimum air cut).

I know you're then facing with a one pass contour toolpath and not a face toolpath, but ???

Do you moan that when you have to ream a hole, you use a drilling toolpath because there isn't a toolpath called ream?

How difficult do you want to make things for your self?

I can moan, but geez, you can moan more.

That's not the point. I know how to contour. The point is the Facing op is next to worthless. Even on simple geometry.

Your opinion. I've never had an issue with it.

Yeah, I remember the first time I used the Dyna Face op. The setup guy came in screaming because his finish facing path took thousands of lines of code. That was filtered at .03". Not just my opinion. Also the OP position as well.

That's not the point. I know how to contour. The point is the Facing op is next to worthless. Even on simple geometry.

Every toolpath has their place and for some person just learning the trade Facing has it prefect place to allow someone just getting started to understand the basics and get up an running. Then as they grow and expand their knowledge they can look for better ways to go about their work. Fully discounting it as worthless is really funny.  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  

• Like 1

I use the crap out of face. Especially for squaring/cubing ops. It definitely has its place. I rarely ever use dynamic face as it always leaves a tït with my inserted tools.

As our stock is usually burnouts or castings I like the extra air. Gives me some fudge room for excess stock in cubing ops. If I need to be more careful with a facing path I'll contour/trim to exactly what I want. However, with my defaults set I can usually do rough facing in about 3 or 4 clicks depending on what machine and cutter we're running.

finish facing path took thousands of lines of code. That was filtered at .03".

I call BS.  if your facing flat geometry, and you've correctly filtered your path You Will get arcs.

If you were facing with a 1/16" endmill, I can see that...