Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5 Axis Spot Facing?

Then I'd have to make a solid in the as-cut condition for the operation, right?  That sounds like more work than 3+2.  I'm making landings for drilling through bone plates at odd angles; the spot faced area will be cut away later leaving an organic surface.  Thanks for the idea though.

How about just making hole axis on all of the screw holes, i select helix entry under roughing... https://www.dropbox.com/sh/102zxdlc6ypoebx/AABV539JRjYfMYjKOOzJs6c6a?dl=0

• Like 1

+1 on helix in 5 axis circle mill, we do exactly the same thing with spot facing at compound angles on curved surfaces for both bone screws on implants and pin holes on surgical instruments and would love to be able to helix them. Currently use the 5 axis circle mill with small depth of cut and a slowed centre plunge rate, but helix would be much faster.

I think with my limited experience 3+2 is best for helix and circle milling. If you have multiple ops (for each hole/feature) it sort of takes away the pain of creating the planes...  :laughing:  Although plane creation is very easy, it does suck if you have to make 30 or 40 of them and name them, sort them, etc etc

• Like 1

I think with my limited experience 3+2 is best for helix and circle milling. If you have multiple ops (for each hole/feature) it sort of takes away the pain of creating the planes...  :laughing:  Although plane creation is very easy, it does suck if you have to make 30 or 40 of them and name them, sort them, etc etc

My last job, I had a 5 axis job with about 200 holes on several different compound angles in a transmission part... uhm, for me, creating planes was out of the question there, Lol

I still think they should add a 5-axis helix option, like the 2D "Helix Bore" under "Circle Paths"... but the helix that justchips showed above, that isn't bad and is definitely better than a straight plunge into the work.