Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

KME Tombstone and Mastercam Help

AlexC

KME website says it has rechargeable batteries inside the tombstone that last 8 hours.

Well I'm surprised! Wonder what happens when they run out in the middle of a cycle? (maybe i should read the website myself, lol).

At least batteries are better than a Hamster wheel.

• 3 months later...

Losing signal, not receiving any signal at all, brake not working, battery dying substantially faster than kme claims, but the big one was the I think the servo driving the C malfunction while drilling a hole on the side of the part, meaning that while the drill was going in the C started oscillating, which of course roasted the drills.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So how is the reliability/rigidity of those so far?

We're looking at them as well. Will it (rotary brakes) handle heavy cuts and tough materials? So far all I've seen is aluminium cuts.

TIA

I can't speak to the rigidity but my understanding is that there are no brakes, this is a harmonic drive (think egg shaped gear inside a ring gear) so the engagement of the gears is where you get your holding power with slight help of the servo. The one we ordered has 800 ftbs of torque, which also translates into 800 ftlbs of holding power. 

Hopefully ours shipped yesterday, and it will be here next week (installed).

I've programmed these in the past with  a 4 axis post and added the 5th rotation in with a misc integer and reals in Mastercam. I put the 5 axis rotations on different layers and controlled them by the misc integer and reals.   I also created a macro B program to rotate the  individual platters  on the machine by the output from the misc integer and reals mastercam.    to avoid all the DPRNT statement in the NC code.

The misc integer output the platter sequence:

Single output:

--------------------------

1 = Rotary platter 1 

2 = Rotary platter 2

3 = Rotary platter 3

4 = Rotary platter 4

Duel output:

5 = Rotary platters 1 & 3

6 = Rotary platters 2 & 4

7 = Rotary platters 1 & 2

8 = Rotary platters 3 & 4

All output:

9 = All Rotary platters 

On the The machine the Output was (G65P9100 R5  C90.0) This would rotate rotary platters 1 & 3 90.0 degrees.

• 2 weeks later...

Our 2nd one is on the way. Two platters, B0 and B180. We use our Makino post and currently punch in the G65 M98 P commands for power on, rotations, confirmation codes, and power off. Turn the power on and off only when it's in the CNC and the battery will last quite a while. haven't gotten around to updating the post but we've been told it shouldn't be a problem.

12 hours ago, Joe6Pack said:

Our 2nd one is on the way. Two platters, B0 and B180. We use our Makino post and currently punch in the G65 M98 P commands for power on, rotations, confirmation codes, and power off. Turn the power on and off only when it's in the CNC and the battery will last quite a while. haven't gotten around to updating the post but we've been told it shouldn't be a problem.

If the power is off and you have a heavy fixture or a part clamped to the rotary, will it still keep it's position?

Power off= no brake, correct? I could see this causing the rotary to slip out of position.

3 hours ago, Mark @ PPG said:

If the power is off and you have a heavy fixture or a part clamped to the rotary, will it still keep it's position?

Power off= no brake, correct? I could see this causing the rotary to slip out of position.

There is no brake at all in these units, they are harmonic drive. Also they have absolute encoders and flash memory for long term storage of zero location even when there is no battery connected.

• Like 1