Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

VERICUT 8

Watcher

Morning,

Just wondering how many of you guys use Vericut and is it all it's said to be.

My son is programming at a new shop where they adding a new Okuma B400 Multis and a VTM 2000YB.

I feel like Vericut would be priceless for proving these machines out, any opinions or comments would appreciated so I pass on to him and his management.

Thanks

Russell

I went to a VUE back in March and they said June was the expected timeframe for release.

AS to Vericut for  the Okuma B400 Multis and a VTM 2000YB.

Vericut is expensive to buy and time consuming to get set up for these machine.

I would guess the CG Tech has a dialed in VCM (Vericut  Machine ) for the Multus

It is a popular machine  and I'm sure there are many people using VC with them.

The VTM 2000, .. It's a new model and there are not a lot of them out there

We have it's little brother the VTM 1200 YB and when we bought it 2 years ago it was only

the fourth in the US.

We have a VCM for it, and I've been working to get it dialed in, but it's far from complete.

The bottom line is... with machines this expensive, this complex and this fast, if Vericut

prevents  just one serious crash, it has paid for itself.

Thanks Gcode & Tim,

Great advice, nothing is simple anymore hopefully CG Tech's support is good because I know he'll need help.

I'm out of work right now and semi-retired because of our economy down here, but as soon as things improve somewhat, I'm to go help my son with all this new stuff and looking forward to have fun having problems to solve with him.

Thanks again

Russell

• Like 1

I won't release anything without running it thru vericut first. With multiaxis machines there is just too much going on.

The only think I absolutely hate about vericut is when I upgrade to a newer pc...moving the license server on a corporate computers is an absolute nightmare...I wish it was all simply "dongle" based like mastercam, lol

I really like what VERICUT is able to do for us, and how it saves us from ourselves.

When I joined this company, WFL simulation was not covered even the in the basics properly, let alone the sweet options like U-Axis stuff... Our MoriSeiki NT5400 1800S was not even a set of VERICUT files. We programmed that one in the darkness.

I´ve to be honest, CGTech has developed and enhanced many things upon my request, in all companies I used it.

But like many, I still have some SCRs and enhancement requests to be dialed in and that are being ignored by product management for years. Some are even related to process security like preventing a gun drill to spin at high RPMs without being piloted. This almost costed a life in our shop a year ago. The tempered glasses in the machine´s door saved the man.

Then 7.4 was promising, but very cosmetical. The new tool manager got way slower than the former. But they added drilling tools on this project, and although not essential, created the infra-structure to support requests like my gun drill stuff. Well, if you can develop a product functionality that can save lives, shouldn´t this be a priority?

After 13 months since I joined this company and fixed the existing and added more VMCs, VERICUT changed our reality. We don´t scrap parts like before. Our ability to deliver process that are Ok in the first run increased dramatically. The product is great.

But I have to say that between a ribbon and the ability to mimic tools spinning in the tool manager, or to select and copy multiple models in the tool man, or to populate magazine tool chains via Excel files, or to have performance presets to speed up things up, I prefer all these over a new ribbon. 

I want to side with the winner product. I don´t have that dangerous blindness about software anymore. My fear is CGTech becoming to lead VERICUT to have a nice face instead of making it to offer more functionality. I think no one in their business can afford to forget about their core purposes.

In the technology market, you can´t live from your reputation and name for good. The history is there to prove me right.

Let´s see what V8 is about. I hope that it is more than what I saw in that picture and press release.

• Like 3

Morning,

My son is programming at a new shop where they adding a new Okuma B400 Multis and a VTM 2000YB.

I feel like Vericut would be priceless for proving these machines out, any opinions or comments would appreciated so I pass on to him and his management.

Thanks

Russell

Vericut have a dialled Multus B400W model, available off the shelf. I have also built a B400W simulation model (from Okuma supplied STEP files). As for the VTM2000YB, I do believe they have models for that particular machine, and the relevant control file. If not, they certainly have something very close.

For machines such as these, Vericut would most certainly pay for itself very quickly. The ability to accurate simulate and calculate minimum tool lengths has been a major timesaver, along with the obvious collision and gouge detection. Their support is also extremely good, and they have an Okuma guru there, who I have worked very closely with.

• Like 1

Our biggest pain with VERICUT today is not what it is able to simulate, which is almost everything.

Our main issue is speed when machining large parts with hundreds of operations on mill-turn machines. If they can´t change their graphics engine right now, they should at least try to alleviate the problem with performance presets and other minor optimizations.

• Like 1

Ok... Since CGTech will read this, and I want to make sure they get me right, and that people have informed and clear perceptions about VERICUT capabilities, since I´m not paid to diminish or promote any product and thus I have freedom to speak what´s on my mind, I´ll dial some of our concerns here:

The problem is speed. With large parts (O.D. > 400mm / Length >1000mm) and hundreds of turn milling features/operations, it becomes very slow after sometime.

But we can live with that. What kills me is the waste of time to do things that should be simple:

• Perform long model consistency checks that Polyfix is unable to fix.
  • Constant need to save IP (In Process) files to simulate complex parts with long programs. If we don´t do this we hardly finish a simulation job with a single push of play. A complex Oil&Gas part may take a week of simulation, and IPs are the only way to workaround hangs, crashes (Which are not common BTW). I wish I could push play and see it end-to-end, but this is only possible, and takes hours to do, when all errors are addressed. In the mean time we save these checkpoints and proceed from them after a number of operations, because it takes a long time to reach the previous location from start.
  • They currently handle orientations for flash tools (Mazak Integrex scenario) in control files instead of doing it within the tool manager. Absolutely ridiculous in a software like that. It has been this way for years. #RIDICULOUS.
  • ToolID mapping - The FANUC in our MoriSeiki forces us to use T1 instead of T680423 which is the WinTool ID. (Mori MAPPS don´t allow the extra digits even with the FANUC option). Everytime we need to populate the machine tool list in VERICUT we do it one by one. 80 tools per VcProject. The smart brains at CGTech don´t support Excel files. They think my programmer spending an entire morning to do it is fine.
  • Setup settings that influence performance. It´s a long run along the UI, even with all these consolidations from previous releases because they refuse to see them as a single set of things affecting the speed results.

Instead of making the UI nicer, they should make it faster. For all tasks that can only be done on a one-by-one basis, like populating tool chains or handling flash tools. And these are examples of things that slow down a programmer.

Now think with me: How much per hour a WFL programmer costs? What about the MillTurn itself? Can business afford to have them down because simulation is not completed yet?

This is the math CGTech has to do now. Ribbons are fine, I love them. But I love even more my NC programmers being more productive and pushing their code to the machine earlier.

Edited by Watcher
  • Like 2

Morning,

Thanks

Russell

Vericut is worth several times what I paid for it.  Preventing crashes in only one aspect of what the software does and it has prevented a few crashes here.  Other things it does is flag program syntax (cutter comp activated on an arc, etc...), over travel, and many other details that speed things up.  I am simulating a mold right now and I made a mistake where a cutter was taking a side finishing pass that was longer than the flutes on the tool.  Sure, Mastercam probably could have caught this but my tool library in Vericut is so much more detailed that I rely on it as the final word.  It is not at all uncommon to send a program to the Makino cell after a Vericut simulation, shut off the lights and head out on the program prove out where it will run at 3am.  We have that much faith in the results.  Lights out machining on the first cycle, typically molds...  It will save a ton because you can have operators do other things on the program prove out rather than standing at the machine with a finger on the red button hoping to catch a possible mistake.

• Like 2

I have helped a couple of companies initiate the use of Vericut. First one took about 1 year for complete pay back due to my lack of experience with it. second paid for itself well before the six month mark.

very worth while.

one thing it has done for me is make me a better programmer, there is nothing like catching my own errors right away so I can curb bad habits I may be creating in my approach.

Doug

• Like 3