Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

slot depth cuts

FTI2007

I have done this before but cannot remember how I did it.  I have .395 wide slots that I want to rough with a .375 emill buy dropping in a pre drilled hole on on end and going straight to a pre drilled hole in the other end of the slot , then drop down to the next depth cut and come back to the starting point etc until the desired depth is reached. thanks

I tried but couldnt get what I want.  I dont want to ramp at an angle. For example .  If I want to do .500" depth cuts. So I want to drop in to .500 deep . cut to the end of the slot, then drop to 1.00 deep and come back  without any retracts or extra moves.  Which setting am I missing. when I do it it cuts only 1 direction and retracts back to the start and then goes to the next depth cut.     I am only picking 1 straight line down the center of the slot.

another way to mill a slot provided you're driving the tool back and forth down the middle of the slot and not contouring it, is to use ruled in wireframe toolpaths. ruled works very well for plunge roughing slots too. 

caveat - USE CAUTION when using wireframe toolpaths in anything but the system top WCS. 

Why?

when using wireframe toolpaths in a non system top WCS, play close attention to rapid movements. i've randomly ran into the feed motion being correct in the proper planes while the rapid movements were relative to the system top plane. first time it happened to me i had a machine try to rapid to a position under a vise in the table after a ruled toolpath was finished. also watch out for exploding arcs though they are much more obvious than errant rapid moves. i've submitted bug reports to qc@ about these things and though they've been acknowledged and are in the database, apparently there is no intention of ever fixing them because creating an all new interface is several orders of magnitude more important than fixing bugs which have been around for more than a decade.

thanks for asking. :cheers:

• Like 2

several years ago they sent out a survey asking if people still used the legacy toolpaths

they were trying to decide if they got enough use to warrant upgrading them to the new tree interface

or if they could kill them altogether

They didn't get upgraded, and the didn't get killed either

several years ago they sent out a survey asking if people still used the legacy toolpaths

they were trying to decide if they got enough use to warrant upgrading them to the new tree interface

or if they could kill them altogether

They didn't get upgraded, and the didn't get killed either

I hope they never git rid of the wireframe toolpaths, they may be outdated but I still use them.  Sometimes when you want a simple profile machined they are a lot quicker to program, and more tidy than the surface toolpaths

I hope they never git rid of the wireframe toolpaths, they may be outdated but I still use them.  Sometimes when you want a simple profile machined they are a lot quicker to program, and more tidy than the surface toolpai use tre

I use revolved daily