Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Building new laptop for MC 2017

Gordon Dawson

I always buy my laptops from the business division of the Dell Outlet Store

They come with Quadro video cards and you can get some killer deal with a little patience

If you're not in a hurry, sign up for their outlet mailing list.

You will get coupons for 20, 30 even 40% off

My current laptop, a five year old Dell M4600, listed for $3600

I got it for $1100 and free shipping.

I don't use it much anymore, but it's still going strong.

Isn't that a little out of date? (10 years ago).

Not saying it wouldn't be viable,but Shirley there are better Quadro cards for the same price today?

On a laptop?

The 1500M is still the only 8GB card I'm aware of.

Haven't jumped to a laptop for Mastercam yet, I like multiple monitors. How do you guys handle that... a dock and another monitor or just live with one screen? I primarily use one screen anyway but I have e-mail and forums and McMaster carr orders going on the second one...

My bad... K5100M

:rofl:

It is an older generation card though. It was the top of the heap before this new generation. It's still a VERY good card. My next laptop will have the K5500M. Probably due for new in January. This one will be 3 years old then.

Still kicks @$$ though.

I can (and DO) run 3 external monitors and the laptop's display with it. I have a docking station that I can do it with. Undocked I can run 3 just as easily. I have a VGA, HDMI, and DVI ( think).

I was using a laptop (Zbook w/ i7-4810MQ, Quadro K2100M, 64GB DDR4) with a docking station and two monitors (HP Z23i) for a total of three displays, until I built my workstation with an i7-6400K and got a third monitor (HP Z27s)  Once you go to three displays you really won't want to go back.

• Like 1