Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

New to Horizontal Milling

Those long LxD drills get spendy fast! I have been making our tooling supplier happy with all the 20x, 30x, and 40x drills I've bought lately. Makes me nervous seeing the $400 drill vibrating after a tool change but then it drills at 40ipm just fine :D

Iscar Sumocham always wins. You'll run them so long you'll kill them forgetting to change the insert.

We use one in .969" diameter in our old Enshu with a cobbled together coolant inducer holder and looooooooow coolant pressure. It's still a bad mo-fo. 

We have a 24mm we run 965mm deep. It's the sumogun, same thing just long af off the shelf. Btw, it does it at 14.4ipm.

Holy phuk. That's ridiculous. :crazy:

Long inserted drills have not worked out so good for us. I will definately look into that. We often need to do .720" diameter up to 12" deep.

I'm running a .059 Diameter Gun Drill from Guhring in 6061

2.250 deep with 1000 psi Takes about 2 minutes a hole

So far 500 holes on 1 drill and the holes are straight within .002.

I was paying $15 a hole via hole pop edm before :o

Drilling technology~~~

• Like 1

My company allows me to pick any manufacturer I want when it comes to tool selection. My goto manufacturer for high performance solid carbide drills is Walter Titex. Very happy with their selection, stock, and performance. I also love their GPS (Guided Product Search). Very easy to use.

Now in my days of moldbase and mold making we used a ton of CJT Koolcarb drills for deep drilling (waterlines) on our horizontal machines.

We used a lot of hydraulics for work holding. We also used rotary tables to reach 5 sides.

Here is a few shots of some setups when I worked for Omni and Advance Mold.

Basement057.jpg

Basement055.jpg

mits.jpg

I show Walter's GPS to every rep that comes to sell me tooling. My question to all of them is why can't you give me this for your tooling? Iscar's ITA sucks. Seco's catalog is like deciphering hieroglyphics. Guhring's online tool picker-outer doesn't totally suck, but it's not great either.

When I told the rep who runs our tool vending system to find me carbide coolant thru drills, he brought the Walter guy in. We did a test, it was impressive. The vending guy also sells Guhring. We buy a few endmills from them. When the Guhring guy stopped by and saw the huge box of Walter drills on my desk, he was pi$$ed. He showed me their drill picker-outer program and I asked him, are your drills going to significantly out perform Walter's for less money? He said probably not. Then I don't even need to test . GPS makes life easier. A few mouse clicks and type in a diameter and length and I can see every drill that will do the job. They are sorted based on cost per hole. I see the time it will take to drill the hole and the estimated number of holes it's good for. A couple more clicks and they will show up on my desk in a few days.

Now in my days of moldbase and mold making we used a ton of CJT Koolcarb drills for deep drilling (waterlines) on our horizontal machines.
We used a lot of hydraulics for work holding. We also used rotary tables to reach 5 sides.
Here is a few shots of some setups when I worked for Omni and Advance Mold.

I will look up CJT, thanks.

And those were the nicest mold bases I have ever used. :cheers:

• Like 2

I watched one of our guys go through 4  6mm 40xD without even cutting a part!  Turns out the shrink fit extentions gave it 1/4" too much length and they each snapped in the tool changer.  beware

Not that I haven't pulled some bone headed things but that one is as simple as a tape measure.

"And those were the nicest mold bases I have ever used.  :cheers:"

Not sure who makes them now. New owners subbed the work and from what I heard they are nowhere near the quality they used to be.

That's too bad. Wonder what ever happened to Gene. Ran across him card when I was cleaning out my address book.

You can nest them too.

I made a cradle on a fixture one time to hold a 100lb serration tool. No way it was going to fit in the tool changer. Thing was 8" in diameter and 4" wide with a 12" gauge length. I used spring loaded buttons to keep in place while the machine was running the parts. When the machine went to pick up the tool the through the spindle coolant would blow off the CAT50 taper. Then the machine would go pick up the tool and have the tool offset applied to it to then run that tool on the parts. Then it would put it back in the cradle and change the pallet to the next operation, I thought it turned out pretty slick.

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...