Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mouse vs Trackball

DTHOMSON

I used a trackball way back in the V8/V9 days, mainly because my workspace was so tiny there was no room to move a mouse 

around. Eventually I started having pain in my thumb and had to switch to a mouse

I've thought about trying one again, but I'm not sure how that would work running 3 big monitors.

• Like 1
On 8/11/2023 at 12:54 PM, nperry said:

I also have a Logitech Ergo trackball and also love it

Just ordered one of these. Never used a trackball before but I'm always looking for ways to program more efficiently. Plus, amazon has a free return policy, so I figured if I hate it I'll just send it back.

I like the looks of that CADMouse as well, might have to order one of those and try it out for a couple weeks too. 

I tried using a 3D connexion Space Explorer for a while. I hated moving my hand back and forth between the number keys and the mouse, so I ditched it and got used to the standard mouse camera controls. I currently run a dell MS116 (aka not fancy or special at all).

43 minutes ago, Jake L said:

I hated moving my hand back and forth between the number keys and the mouse,

#MeToo

In the 90's when I started using computers I realized I used the 10key a lot so moved my mouse to my left hand. Makes it much easier that way.

40 minutes ago, SuperHoneyBadger said:

You just decided to go lefty out of utility? You're a wildman, and I respect the hell out of you for that.

Thanks! :) 

I figured since I had just started using a mouse that was the ideal time to do it. 

1 hour ago, Jobnt said:

I realized I used the 10key a lot so moved my mouse to my left hand. Makes it much easier that way.

are you using a left handed mouse??

We have a left handed guy here who was using a right hand mouse

After a few years his wrist started hurting so much he was going to leave the trade.

I talked him into buying an ergonomic left hand mouse.

That was 10 years ago and he's still going strong.

Personally, my left hand runs the Space Mouse, and my right runs a Logitech G502 LightSpeed

I cannot imagine trying to run a mouse with my left hand

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, gcode said:

Personally, my left hand runs the Space Mouse, and my right runs a Logitech G502 LightSpeed

No, I'm using a Microsoft 2 button mouse. Small and ergo for me. Don't have a solid enough work flow to use a mouse with more than a couple of buttons. Might end up with one. Especially as I spend more and more time in solidworks. 

My left hand runs the mouse and my right is on the keyboard or space pilot.

50 minutes ago, Jake L said:

Saw this one recommended a couple times while looking into best mice for CAD / CAM. How long you been using it? Any complaints? 

It's a great mouse

Really good left and right click buttons, enough customizable buttons for my needs and fitt s my hand well

My only complaint is it takes about 30 seconds to reach full speed when starting the computer

if you care connect via the LightSpeed wireless dongle.

Once it's dialed up though it runs perfectly.

My main customization is Left and Right click in the wheel

Left  = trim

right = extend

• Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, gcode said:

It's a great mouse

Really good left and right click buttons, enough customizable buttons for my needs and fitt s my hand well

My only complaint is it takes about 30 seconds to reach full speed when starting the computer

if you care connect via the LightSpeed wireless dongle.

Once it's dialed up though it runs perfectly.

My main customization is Left and Right click in the wheel

Left  = trim

right = extend

after my collegue bought a mouse with a hyper-fast scroll wheel i used it, had to buy one for myself and i would never go back to any other mouse if it didnt have an awesome fast scroll wheel, this specific one here is my fav https://www.logitech.com/en-us/products/mice/mx-master-3s-business-wireless-mouse.910-006581.html , logitech makes a few types with a "hyper-scroll wheel" and for zooming in and out in mastercam nothing beats it in my opinion, its like on a bearing so i can barely spin the wheel and it seems like it will spin for hours, so instead of spinning the middle mouse wheel like a mad man to zoom in and out of various things its super smooth and fast with this type of middle mouse wheel. I never would have even considered the importance of a smooth middle mouse wheel until using one of these and now owning one.  just my opinion on what i found as my all time favorite mouse for mastercam, its also nice for just web page browsing though cuz of that scroll wheel just scrolling throuhg pages and stuff is faster for me as well 

2 minutes ago, JoshC said:

Am I seeing this right? A scroll wheel on top and one for your thumb???

Can you use both at the same size to maximize scroll speed? 

I think my list of different mice I want to try is getting too long lol

Just now, Jake L said:

Am I seeing this right? A scroll wheel on top and one for your thumb???

Can you use both at the same size to maximize scroll speed? 

I think my list of different mice I want to try is getting too long lol

oh the scroll wheel for your thumb i dont ever use personally, so idk what the intent behind that second scroll wheel is, i just mean the main middle mouse scroll wheel is nice, personally that extra thumb wheel i never even use but by default it seems like it just scrolls through my browser tabs so doesnt do me much but it can be mapped to other things im sure 

Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet but track balls don't seem popular overall.

I use an Elecom EX-G Pro and love it.  Switched several years ago and have never looked back.  All the extra buttons are programmed to my most used hot keys and I can easily put my pointer right where I want it (and quickly) with the ball being controlled by my thumb.  I have a SpaceMouse on the left of my keyboard and I used to run an auxiliary numberpad on the left as well.  

2 hours ago, JoshC said:

after my collegue bought a mouse with a hyper-fast scroll wheel i used it, had to buy one for myself and i would never go back to any other mouse if it didnt have an awesome fast scroll wheel, this specific one here is my fav https://www.logitech.com/en-us/products/mice/mx-master-3s-business-wireless-mouse.910-006581.html , logitech makes a few types with a "hyper-scroll wheel" and for zooming in and out in mastercam nothing beats it in my opinion, its like on a bearing so i can barely spin the wheel and it seems like it will spin for hours, so instead of spinning the middle mouse wheel like a mad man to zoom in and out of various things its super smooth and fast with this type of middle mouse wheel. I never would have even considered the importance of a smooth middle mouse wheel until using one of these and now owning one.  just my opinion on what i found as my all time favorite mouse for mastercam, its also nice for just web page browsing though cuz of that scroll wheel just scrolling throuhg pages and stuff is faster for me as well 

This is a very high quality mouse

I bought one but had to send it back.

It was too big for my hands.

The mouse itself was really nice but I could not reach the customizable buttons 

without shifting my grip on the mouse,,,, which totally disrupts workflow.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, SuperHoneyBadger said:

You just decided to go lefty out of utility? You're a wildman, and I respect the hell out of you for that.

He'd then count back to 10, then change hands back again.... :hrhr:

5 hours ago, Jobnt said:

No, I'm using a Microsoft 2 button mouse. Small and ergo for me. Don't have a solid enough work flow to use a mouse with more than a couple of buttons. Might end up with one. Especially as I spend more and more time in solidworks. 

My left hand runs the mouse and my right is on the keyboard or space pilot.

Maybe worth trying a logitech mx master. FWIW, It's the best I've used....

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, gcode said:

We have a left handed guy here who was using a right hand mouse

I'm left handed and can't use a mouse with my left hand. When I used my first computer as a kid everyone had the mouse on the right side, so it only felt natural this way😅 I'm glad it worked out this way, it would be really annoying to be dependant on a left handed or symmmetrical mouse.

On 8/14/2023 at 4:02 PM, JHyder2 said:

Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet but track balls don't seem popular overall.

I use an Elecom EX-G Pro and love it.  Switched several years ago and have never looked back.  All the extra buttons are programmed to my most used hot keys and I can easily put my pointer right where I want it (and quickly) with the ball being controlled by my thumb.  I have a SpaceMouse on the left of my keyboard and I used to run an auxiliary numberpad on the left as well.  

I started having wrist pain from a standard mouse, and the Elecom changed my thoughts on trackballs.  Now I switch back and forth every 3-6 months just to prolong the carpal tunnel 😂

https://www.amazon.com/ELECOM-M-XPT1MRXBK-Trackball-Bluetooth-High-Performance/dp/B07DMF2DNW?ref_=ast_sto_dp

• Haha 1

one thing everyone can agree on im sure is that you don't use a Touchpad for CAD/CAM unless you would like to handicap yourself. Had a few people over the years reach for that Touchpad on a laptop instead of the mouse and had to give them a punch :)

• Haha 5
2 hours ago, JoshC said:

one thing everyone can agree on im sure is that you don't use a Touchpad for CAD/CAM unless you would like to handicap yourself. Had a few people over the years reach for that Touchpad on a laptop instead of the mouse and had to give them a punch :)

I don't believe that for a second, Josh. You would never hit anyone, you don't have a mean bone in your body. You, most likely, showed them a better way and why.

• Like 1
On 8/14/2023 at 4:27 PM, Newbeeee™ said:

Maybe worth trying a logitech mx master. FWIW, It's the best I've used....

That's the mouse I use... in conjunction with a 3D Connexion SpaceNavigator. Best wireless mouse hands down. I'd love to get a wired 3D Connexion mouse because they are SO light, but they are too small. I've got big paws and a regular sized mouse is just way too small. My hands cramp up using those things for any real amount of time.

• Like 1

I run a Logitech G602 and a G604 (new version of the G602). The G604 you can switch between clicky center scroll or free wheel. I find I like the clicky scroll. The programmable buttons on the side are amazing for me and the work I do.

Of course, the left hand runs the SpaceMouse Pro.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-LIGHTSPEED-programmable-connectivity-hyper-fast/dp/B07QN369XX?th=1

• Like 1

I've been using a new Logitech Ergo trackball since Monday. Initially, I'm not totally in love with it, but that might come with a little more time using it. 

I wish it had a button to adjust the trackball sensitivity on the fly. When I'm trying to click a small button I find myself miss clicking once or twice before I get it. But I also don't want to have to scroll and scroll to get from one side of my dual monitor screens to the other. My sensitivity is currently at 60, maybe that's just too high, or maybe I'm just not used to the trackball quite yet.

I do like not moving my arm around on my desk, and the ergonomic feel.

I'm also curious what you guys have the extra mouse buttons mapped to? I initially mapped to copy / paste, but my left hand is always on the keyboard so it's more natural to do "cmd + c" and "cmd + v" like I've always done.