Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

TAMBOY 3d CAM sfotware?

chipman

We have an old customer wanting us to remake some pricey parts.

All of the surface geometry is in TAMBOY, this is a system that this company purchased back in the 80's early 90's.

We have the computers sitting here, but nobody knows how to run it. 

The guy that did, died of a massive heart attack a few years back.

It is a Japanese software, no one was ever trained on it. the ones that did know how to run it are all retired/dead

Really looking to see if anyone out there could give us a hand? I know it is a long shot.....

for a real wild shot, I'd try making copies on the files

remaining them with a .igs  or .iges file extension  and try to open them

It is highly unlikely that this will work, but it would only take a minute to try

Did iges even exist in the late 80's???

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, gcode said:

It is highly unlikely that this will work, but it would only take a minute to try

According to Wikipedia: IGES is "an ANSI standard since 1980"

28 minutes ago, gcode said:

Yes I used it in the late 80's.

31 minutes ago, gcode said:

In my google search, a Japanese CNC forum came up

The google translation was pretty rough, but there are still people in Japan

using the software ...  maybe you could look for help there???

Yeah, I found a few companies in Japan that seem to still run it.

I sent out an email asking for any info, with no response yet

We got into the system, and I see plenty of various file pertaining to this job, but it almost seems that TAMBOY is not installed as I searched in the start menu and throughout all the drives for an .exe with no luck. There are native .tam files, nc files, and .geo files. 
I will try to open some of them and see what comes up.

For the most part on recreating these parts, I can use the 2d .nc files to reverse engineer but I have never done it with 3d shapes as it is nearly impossible.

We have discussed using the old toolpaths, they do work but run very primitive, the finishes are inferior and there was tons of benchwork needed. and it is all in incremental, and when I say incremental, each and every tool needs to start at part zero and 1 inch above, as the early programmers here did not know that work offsets existed??

Many here do not want to run the programs as they are quite goofy in so many different ways.

6 minutes ago, chipman said:

Yeah, I found a few companies in Japan that seem to still run it.

I sent out an email asking for any info, with no response yet

We got into the system, and I see plenty of various file pertaining to this job, but it almost seems that TAMBOY is not installed as I searched in the start menu and throughout all the drives for an .exe with no luck. There are native .tam files, nc files, and .geo files. 
I will try to open some of them and see what comes up.

For the most part on recreating these parts, I can use the 2d .nc files to reverse engineer but I have never done it with 3d shapes as it is nearly impossible.

We have discussed using the old toolpaths, they do work but run very primitive, the finishes are inferior and there was tons of benchwork needed. and it is all in incremental, and when I say incremental, each and every tool needs to start at part zero and 1 inch above, as the early programmers here did not know that work offsets existed??

Many here do not want to run the programs as they are quite goofy in so many different ways.

Use a Verification software and use it to carve the part. That will make a stl. From that STL Verisurf reverse might be able to help you make a better model of the part. Sight unseen I am thinking 40-100 hours of work. Got a sample part of anything to use to reverse engineer a model? Plenty of companies offer that as a service today.

We are an OEM, it really is our responsibility to have the surfaces. But things were always run a little different here. They designed the mold in 2d Autocad and then the programmer whipped up surfaces and programmed toolpaths. yes I know....

Up until 12 years ago, they used this TAMBOY and Camax to do all the mold programming, Then we pulled the plug on that and got Mastercam in, also during that time we acquired Solidworks software and they are supplying me with complete models. 

Our customer is in the former Soviet Union, they have an existing mold that they would like to replace, they do not want to stop production. 

4 hours ago, DanielGingras said:

When a 15 hour thread in a (presumably) competitor's forums is the top search result for your product, it might be time to invest a little in your marketing department.

The more we all google it, the higher up the google pole it goes...

Free advertising!

:D