Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

HST and detph of cuts

crazy^millman

The neurons floating around in the grey matter that were given to me by my ancestors usually steer me toward making them even so as to not wear out just the end of the tool.  But I have run into situations where it depends on the part geometry, and on how much more aggressively you can manually bump up the feed rates on the 20% pass to save cycle time, say if part workholding, or tool hangout is the limiting factor.  Theoretically, if you had say two 150% passses and a 20% pass, and your rigidity limit for elevated feeds and speeds is say 40% or 50% doc, and you can run at a 75% higher feed when below that DOC, you could in theory edit the toolpath to increase the feed by 75% for the last pass and end up with a shorter cycle time.  This is because if you split the doc's evenly you would be at roughly 100% DOC per pass.

Just my $.02, hope it makes sense.

4 hours ago, JParis said:

I would push the DOC to get it to 2 passes and decrease the stepover a bit to compensate

When you are hanging a tool out at 6X with only 110% flute length you do what you need to make it work. Then it is really nice when the tool is wore out and the customer only ordered one and you then have to reprogram everything to use what they have. You mean that cost extra????? :whistle::whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

even depth of cut is knee jerk to meh but learned moons ago not good with hard materials. it puts a wear mark in the cutter and or does not use the full potential of flute length. so when hard I stagger depths, when soft fast and dirty even depths without adding depths.