Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Transform Offset ?

ujmujm

Okay something that's been annoying me since version 2017 when I create a solid then try to offset the wire frame geometry even though I have the move radio button checked Mastercam copies the geometry and leaves the original geometry  is there something in the config. I need to change?

7 minutes ago, ujmujm said:

Okay something that's been annoying me since version 2017 when I create a solid then try to offset the wire frame geometry even though I have the move radio button checked Mastercam copies the geometry and leaves the original geometry  is there something in the config. I need to change?

if you move geometry that defines a solid and don't move the solid, the solid will be destroyed. Mastercam is leaving a copy behind to keep the solid defined

I realize Mastercam is leaving the geometry because it defines a solid but in previous versions it would move the wire frame and then you would regenerate your solid and bingo your 4" diameter is now a 5" diameter now I have to delete the old wire frame and reselect the new wire frame and regenerate the solid so I must be doing something wrong in the newer versions.

What you are doing wrong is thinking that you need the wireframe. That is old-school. That is the same thing as leaving construction lines on a print. Remove the solid history and keep just the solid. If you want the history, just in case, export a copy to a backup file. Simply your life and start thinking newer and better. 

I think you misunderstood my post I created the solid in Mastercam you need wire frame to create a solid in Mastercam if someone knows how to create a solid in Mastercam without wire frame I guess I better take a class! In versions prior to 2017 you could create for example a 4" diameter circle (wire frame) and extrude a solid then if you wanted to change it to a 5" diameter you could X-form offset .500 now your wire frame is 5" diameter and if you regenerate your solid your solid updates.

No, I do not misunderstand. Once you have created your solid, get rid of the wireframe. You no longer need it. Make your solid independent. Think of it like this. If you import a solid from a step file, there is no wireframe. Yeah, it's gone. No more burden. Once I create a solid, I remove the history (wireframe) and work just off of the independent solid features.

• Like 1

Yep I clicked copy and then back to move and it worked, that is "funky" thanks again sir, another little trick I will have to remember as far as getting rid of the wireframe you must have Mastercam with Solidworks the standard version of Mastercam you don't have the ability to do that.

13 minutes ago, Mark VIII said:

No, I do not misunderstand. Once you have created your solid, get rid of the wireframe. You no longer need it. Make your solid independent. Think of it like this. If you import a solid from a step file, there is no wireframe. Yeah, it's gone. No more burden. Once I create a solid, I remove the history (wireframe) and work just off of the independent solid features.

I do the same thing, no reason to have wireframe cluttering up the screen and directly linked to the paths.

27 minutes ago, ujmujm said:

I think you misunderstood my post I created the solid in Mastercam you need wire frame to create a solid in Mastercam if someone knows how to create a solid in Mastercam without wire frame I guess I better take a class! In versions prior to 2017 you could create for example a 4" diameter circle (wire frame) and extrude a solid then if you wanted to change it to a 5" diameter you could X-form offset .500 now your wire frame is 5" diameter and if you regenerate your solid your solid updates.

The use of push/pull accomplishes the same thing much faster, without the need for wireframe.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, ujmujm said:

s the standard version of Mastercam you don't have the ability to do that.

Model Prep >> Remove History

Click on solid if there are more than one on the screen

Edited by Guest
2 hours ago, ujmujm said:

In versions prior to 2017 you could create for example a 4" diameter circle (wire frame) and extrude a solid then if you wanted to change it to a 5" diameter you could X-form offset .500 now your wire frame is 5" diameter and if you regenerate your solid your solid updates.

One alternative here is to analyze the entity properties. Many of the entity's parameters (including dis./rad. for circles) can be edited here. Edit the field and hit enter and you will see the entity change size. Arc center stays put. Regen. the solid.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, nickbe10 said:

One alternative here is to analyze the entity properties. Many of the entity's parameters (including dis./rad. for circles) can be edited here. Edit the field and hit enter and you will see the entity change size. Arc center stays put. Regen. the solid.

I prefer this method as well. Just change the diameter from 4. to 5. and then regenerate the Solid on the Solids window.

11 hours ago, ujmujm said:

I do this all the time.  The best way is not to offset it, use F4 or Analyze Entity and just type "+.5" next to the dia and green check it.

If were to create my solids and then make them into chunks of uneditable stuff,  I would loose the control of my work.  What I do is after a mold assembly is created , I  blank all the 

wireframe . If I need to move a hole or change it's diameter I bring the One arc back to the work space , modify it and send it back "upstate" ..... Mastercam's Model Prep  has still a long way to go before it is on par with KeyCreator .....

Gracjan