Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Install Master Cam 9 for windows 10

Okoshi

Hi everyone,

Today, I got an issue with installing Mastercam9 for windows 10.  When  I run file setup file, everything is ok until the final step, I got issue : Alladin driver win32 ( something like that), then I install the driver Sentinel_LDK_20180412 => all drivers are ok. However when I insert the dongle usb and open hasp utility => it informs : hasp not found ( picture 1).

Then, I try to download hasp x and then run it (picture 2) => this hasp software can detect the info -> I tried to copy this source to C:\Mcam9  and open Mil => hasp not found.

I also tried run software with compatibility windows xpsp3 -> not found.

so, I find an windows XP machine and install it, => everything is ok, can work

=> I still want to install it in windows 10, so everyone, if you used to deal with this issue, please help me some ideas.

Please feel free to ask me more information.

Thank you so much,

Khang

1.PNG

2.PNG

On 11/23/2019 at 7:54 PM, JParis said:

The HASP licensing will not work....the only way we've seen to get V9 running on a newer computer system is if the end user has a Nethasp...

Actually, the dongle license I have is HASP, so do you have another idea?

However, When I install mastercam9 in windows 10 x64, there is Nethasp, and please check pictures to see the error.

image.png

image.png

6 hours ago, Okoshi said:

Thank for your info, let me try and confirm to you.

I installed a fresh windows 10 x86 for a computer, install basic drivers and net framework 3.5 for it, then I install mastercam9 and I got too many errors, BSOD, crc failed, driver failed,.. even more than windows 10 x64. 😂😂

5 hours ago, Okoshi said:

I installed a fresh windows 10 x86 for a computer, install basic drivers and net framework 3.5 for it, then I install mastercam9 and I got too many errors, BSOD, crc failed, driver failed,.. even more than windows 10 x64. 😂😂

Your trying to install over 20 year old software on a modern system. Need to get a hold of your dealer and get Mastercam 2020. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • 3 years later...
15 hours ago, HeathS said:

Okoshi, did you ever resolve this problem, I have exactly the same issue except I am told Mastercam9 used to work on this hard drive, the PC failed and I installed the hard drive into a different PC and suffer the same issue as you!

that person joined in 2019 and has not been back here since so your not gonna hear from him i don't think. A better question is why would someone want to run V9 when they have 20+ years of improvements, and I know not everyone thinks each release is an improvement over the previous but as a whole everything has been improved from V9, i would likely be asking my shop why we have not been updating or staying on maintenance if i was in your shoes, a lot changes over 20 years and staying competitive today can be very difficult competing with shops that stay up to date with technology. 

Your best option if you really want to go down this road which i dont suggest and suggest updating to a modern version would be to get a pc that has windows xp operating system on it, like maybe a Used pc from ebay or something.

those are my opinions 

20 years ago high speed tooling was prominent, imagine if we never upgraded tooling over that much time and still used 20+ year old tooling technology on how far behind the times you would be, same goes for software 

16 hours ago, HeathS said:

the PC failed and I installed the hard drive into a different PC and suffer the same issue as you!

We have MasterCam X on a CD w/hasp. It's the only version we have for lathe, and it serves its purpose when needed. The simplest solution for us is to run a 32 bit Windows XP virtual machine on our Win10 programming rig. There is a bit of setup involved, but once it's done, opens up like any other program. I can't guarantee personally, but likely V9 will work. Big bonus: this method allows older versions to run at 2560x1440 or even 4k, on modern GPUs + CPUs that were mere fever dreams in the '00s.

If all you have is an older cut (for whatever reason), maybe this can help you get by.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, JoshC said:

why would someone want to run V9 when they have 20+ years of improvements,

The keyboard driven process flow in v9 is vastly more fluid than the pointer driven requirements of today's interface. IMO of course. 

Not to mention they didn't have those embarrassingly implemented ActiveReports in v9. Man, what a mess that turned out to be. :lol:

On 5/17/2023 at 3:55 AM, JoshC said:

A better question is why would someone want to run V9 when they have 20+ years of improvements, and I know not everyone thinks each release is an improvement over the previous but as a whole everything has been improved from V9, i would likely be asking my shop why we have not been updating or staying on maintenance if i was in your shoes

Very valid questions and I agree with your sentiments in general.

The answer is in this case that we are a small shop, limited funds, this particular license is a legacy thing the boss thought would be useful if it 'just worked' given our usage for this particular license is intermittent at best. I can see the management view - it used to work, why not just put it back in service for "zero" investment. I am now pushing the hidden cost of maintaining and training on 20 year old software with little to no support (aside from this amazing forum) certainly nothing official from MC reseller which is understandable.

Thanks to all who took the time to reply!!!

• Like 1
15 hours ago, HeathS said:

a small shop, limited funds

Totally get that. I know a guy that had a 4-machine shop that ran v6 I think it was (the one where you couldn't change a toolpath and regenerate it, you had to recreate it). 

He did a couple 2 and 3 axis programs a week for very simple, prismatic parts. There's no way he could justify spending five figures for software. It would literally take decades to pay for itself.

But CNC Software is a for-profit company. They don't care about the shops that will not buy their software so there will be zero effort from them to make things backwards compatible. Understandably so. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/16/2023 at 5:56 AM, Jobnt said:

I still have an XP box that runs Mastercam v9.1sp2. Maybe try and downgrade the hardware AND software.

This is what I did this week.

I have old v7 legacy files that I have to open to pull out whatever design I can for 25+ year old jobs that we're revising and needed v9 to open and save up to today's version.

I contacted our reseller to get a v9.1mr0105 cd, dug an old XP Pro box and associated hardware out of the boneyard, and installed on that with one of our extra sims. It actually works pretty good for an old system. It's funny listening to the hard drive making those winding sounds from the old days.

It's old but it serves its singular purpose.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, john316 said:

It's funny listening to the hard drive making those winding sounds from the old days.

My XP box that runs 9 does that when I leave the graphics window open with no dialog boxes. WHHHHRRRRRRRRRR

Back in the day one of my co workers did a huge file for a 5X gantry mill  in V9

The initial release took about 6 months, but he worked on it off and on for couple of years.

It was over 600 meg in file size and contained 700+ operations

His PC took about 40 minutes to open it in the morning and saves to the network usually failed.

He kept the file on his PC and backed it up to a CD every night. The PC's hard drive had to be replaced every 4 to 6 months.

I've often wondered how that file would perform in X23 or X24 on a modern PC

• Like 1
2 hours ago, gcode said:

Back in the day one of my co workers did a huge file for a 5X gantry mill  in V9

The initial release took about 6 months, but he worked on it off and on for couple of years.

It was over 600 meg in file size and contained 700+ operations

His PC took about 40 minutes to open it in the morning and saves to the network usually failed.

He kept the file on his PC and backed it up to a CD every night. The PC's hard drive had to be replaced every 4 to 6 months.

I've often wondered how that file would perform in X23 or X24 on a modern PC

I think I know what job you're talking about.

With today's 5X toolpathing options I don't think the file would take nearly as much space or time with a good pc.

Maybe

13 minutes ago, john316 said:

I think I know what job you're talking about.

With today's 5X toolpathing options I don't think the file would take nearly as much space or time with a good pc.

Maybe

Agreed .. that old V9 file was all legacy 5X and a lot of 3+2 Project to Surface toolpaths  using thousands of hand drawn chains

It would be fun to open an old copy of that file in X23 just to see what happens

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, gcode said:

Agreed .. that old V9 file was all legacy 5X and a lot of 3+2 Project to Surface toolpaths  using thousands of hand drawn chains

It would be fun to open an old copy of that file in X23 just to see what happens

I have those files. 20yr old v9 files. For kicks I opened the 2nd side with the 5x path. it is 39meg with a few hundred paths. The box with access has 2019 installed and crashed when I tried to regen the toolpath so I decided to get back to what I'm trying to finish tonight. Maybe I'll try again later.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
On 6/23/2023 at 6:17 PM, john316 said:

I have those files. 20yr old v9 files. For kicks I opened the 2nd side with the 5x path. it is 39meg with a few hundred paths. The box with access has 2019 installed and crashed when I tried to regen the toolpath so I decided to get back to what I'm trying to finish tonight. Maybe I'll try again later.

Next time you try that file set the chaining tolerance to .008"

That was his default tolerance. 

Default chaining tolerance is .0001" and toolpath and solid chains are failing.