Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Methods RoboDrill Plus-K

They have plenty of power. They have a lot of rigidity, but as Leon says trochoidal paths and smaller tools will be your friend.

My main issue with my Robos was swarf getting onto the tool taper, because the tools aren't "that protected" in the changer.

There is the Fanuc preferred option of a tool taper wash (coolant wash) but we went with a PLC hack where we had the machine head pause on toolchange, at a definable height, so the spindle airblast cleaned the taper for longer. This added 1x second to a toolchange and removed virtually all of our issues, so was well worth it.

Fanuc (UK) frowned at our solution because slowing the toolchange went against one of Fanucs main selling points (the fast toolchange). But good products were my priority and on a batch of 25>50 (sometimes 100) parts, I wasn't worried about the additional 1x seconds.

Edit:- for clarity, we were producing 98% aluminium parts on these machines. So using a 40mm facemill, and 14mm and 12mm roughing tools at 10k RPM and 5metre (200 inch) feed rates, so chips were bouncing everywhere inside.

• Like 2

These things are built by Fanuc, using Fanuc Drives and Motors. They are not good; they are fantastic!

Make sure you get the options for "flushing" of the zero-point connection, and ask Methods about adding "spindle cleaning/flush" options, to make sure the no chips get caught in the spindle taper.

Make sure you get the Big-Plus option on the spindle, and buy "real" Big-Plus holders. The BT30 Taper, with Big-Plus, is comparable in rigidity to a non-big plus CAT40 holder.

I did Turnkey job from 17-4 Stainless on  a regular short-bed Robodrill (not plus-k), and I was drilling 5xD and 7xD, small holes (.125 and 6mm diameter), with no issues. (I did have thru-spindle coolant, which is a must for productive deep-hole drilling. Not that 5xD or 7xD is extreme, but the first time I tried this on a non-thru coolant spindle, we had issues with drill breakage due to work-hardening of the material when attempting to peck. Raising the retract height helped, but with Thru-Coolant, we successfully machined hundreds of holes without pecking. I opted to thread mill, rather than tapping.

This wasn't from a PlusK but I can attest to Robodrills being solid.

6 axis Robot arm loading 1/2" thick alum bar into a robodrill. 

16,000 RPM at 200ipm plunge and 150ipm contour feed.

Robot misloaded and the part was hanging off the end where it plunges. Made it through the part in Z then tried to side cut.

Made one hell of a noise. Hit the side then flew out the front door.

We fixed the side panel. 😆 🤣 😂 

Screenshot_20230508-074914_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230508-074923_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230508-074855_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230508-074934_Gallery.jpg

• Haha 7

Are you talking about the Plus-K automation system or the Big-Plus spindle?

I can't speak about the automation system but the machines are solid. Short gage length tools are your friend with these small machines. 3/8 tools are our go-to tool for roughing.

• Like 1
On 5/8/2023 at 3:47 PM, Colin Gilchrist said:

Make sure you get the Big-Plus option on the spindle, and buy "real" Big-Plus holders. The BT30 Taper, with Big-Plus, is comparable in rigidity to a non-big plus CAT40 holder.

IMHO....with 2x E model 10k RPM Robos sat side by side, one a BBT and the other a standard, and a Chevalier (non BBT) 10k RPM #40 VMC sat next to that....I'd say the face and taper increases rigidity by 30% over the non (Robo 2 Robo).

But a BBT #30 Robo is not as rigid as a BT40, like - for like. I'd say it's close (ish) but maximum -20%.