Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

2d contour mill Multipass aircutting

Azoth

9 hours ago, Azoth said:

Basically what I expected. Not that programming isn't easy, just that I didn't know adding geometry to drive certain toolpaths would have to be a thing. I didn't expect mastercam to read my mind, but more naively assumed every facet of every toolpath would be parameterized and accessible in a modern GUI... except the money isn't in making it easier to do simple toolpaths that are already easy to write by hand so it makes sense. Guess learning the quirks of the available CAM software is at the crux of cnc programming.

You think that's bad, wait until you start to get in the weeds on tool axis control geometry on the 5axis simultaneous moves lol

• Haha 1
11 hours ago, Azoth said:

My expectations of modern industrial software just needs calibrating.

Not necessarily. There *is* modern software out there that doesn't require you to create a bunch of wireframe to get it to do what you want. You have to re-calibrate your expectations of Mastercam.  You can get it to do what you want, it just takes a little more work and/or a little more tinkering.  :D  I assume that this is the software that you're stuck with?  If that's the case, you'll just have to suck it up and learn to work with what you have. 

This is a great place to get information but  as you're probably noticing, an abrasive attitude probably isn't the best approach.

30 minutes ago, neurosis said:

You have to re-calibrate your expectations of Mastercam

I'm not going to waste anymore of my time helping this guy.

He's not here for help, he's here to demonstrate his astounding genius to the dimwitted masses.

However, I believe Mr Fish's area mill suggestion can be programmed to do exactly

what El Magnifico is trying to achieve, and it can be done directly from a solid model

without creating a single piece of wireframe. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, gcode said:

I'm not going to waste anymore of my time helping this guy.

He's not here for help, he's here to demonstrate his astounding genius to the dimwitted masses.

However, I believe Mr Fish's area mill suggestion can be programmed to do exactly

what El Magnifico is trying to achieve, and it can be done directly from a solid model

without creating a single piece of wireframe. 

I have a soft spot for people who get frustrated with the software because I've been there.  I'm not defending the attitude, but I do get the frustration.  Having to rely on mounds of construction wireframe was one (not the only) of my biggest peeves although it's not needed nearly as much as it was when I started using the software. 

2d area is an excellent suggestion. Unless you need to use cutter comp for some reason.  

You definitely get more bees with honey than vinegar.  :D 

12 hours ago, Azoth said:

1 weekend of mastercam

I can look at a part and anticipate what it takes to get programmed

Sorry for the late reply, I was LOLing so hard at your replies that I fell over backwards in my chair and hit my head on the floor and had to go get a compress put on it, BUT I'M OK NOW!!

Clearly, you cannot look at a part and anticipate what it takes to get programmed. Read over this thread to understand why.

Seriously, kid... your approach to getting help stinks.

You pretend to know everything, bash, complain, contradict yourself and generally make yourself look, well, incompetent. (No offense, just an observation.)

And the biggest difference between me and you...?

if you want I can probably train you in mastercam if it really took you 6 years.

...I would gladly take any help you could offer me even with one weekend of programming "experience" because I know I don't know everything that can be done with CAM software even though I've got over 35,000 hours of seat time with it between Mastercam and Gibbscam. 

10 hours ago, Azoth said:

every facet of every toolpath would be parameterized and accessible in a modern GUI

Yeah, right. Check out what Thad said below. He's 100% spot-on.

3 hours ago, Thad said:

You're going to have a tough time in this trade. Good luck!

This. ^^^

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Jobnt said:

though I've got over 35,000 hours of seat time with it between Mastercam and Gibbscam. 

YiKES!!!

I just did some quick math....north of 35,000 hours as well, just with Mastercam.....

I'd ask where the hell time has gone but looking at those numbers, it's rather evident where it's all gone.

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, JParis said:

YiKES!!!

I just did some quick math....north of 35,000 hours as well, just with Mastercam.....

I'd ask where the hell time has gone but looking at those numbers, it's rather evident where it's all gone.

I'm well over 35k but did a conservative calculation to get close. I think I'm fairly even between the two, maybe a slight edge to Gibbscam. And yeah, when I look back at my early days in the 80's before dynamic toolpaths and solid models it was a different world.

Can't imagine going back to those days, although I do still love me some V9 SP2! :cheers:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
27 minutes ago, JParis said:

I just did some quick math....north of 35,000 hours as well, just with Mastercam....

I tried to crunch this but there are too many variables for anything more than a wild assed guess.

I'm just counting Mastercam, and there was a decade of Anicam 1.0 thru 3.0 then TekSoft and Procad before Mastercam entered the scene.

(2023-1998) x 52 weeks/year x 40 hrs/week = 52,000 x .8 fudge factor = 41,600

And then there are + fudge factors I didn't count

2007-2014 mandatory 12hour week days and 1/2 day Saturdays

and the current voluntary unlimited OT which has been going on for over a year

50/60 hrs/ week  in the office  and 15 to 20 hours of DT at home on weekends.

I think there have been no more that 3 or 4 days this year when I didn't have any seat time.

and speaking of genius's who learn software in a week, 

I was once told that Boeing  required 10K hours of seat time before they would accept an application for a CATIA programmer.

At 40 hour weeks, that's about 5 years experience before they will even look at your resume. 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Jobnt said:

I'm well over 35k but did a conservative calculation to get close. I think I'm fairly even between the two, maybe a slight edge to Gibbscam. And yeah, when I look back at my early days in the 80's before dynamic toolpaths and solid models it was a different world.

Can't imagine going back to those days, although I do still love me some V9 SP2! :cheers:

I did a quick rough guesstimate and I came out under 3,500 hours.. I have so so so so much to learn, looking forward to it!

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Kyle F said:

I have so so so so much to learn, looking forward to it!

Keep real close track of the time. It will be over before you know it. 

15 minutes ago, gcode said:

Done Done Done Do It ... LOL I still can't get that out of my head 

Hahahah, yup! 

But the fluidity of the V9 menu-driven interface made creating geometry easy (all done from the keyboard, rarely having to use the mouse). Nowadays you cannot get by without a mouse. Good for some things, bad for others. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, neurosis said:

Does anyone remember oneyankfan1?   :whistle:

Never heard of him.

:)

I'd say I'm somewhere over 10k hours of programming cnc parts on company hrs, maybe a lot over, probably twice that including training and practice over the years, i spent a lot of time testing chooks too which im not counting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, byte said:

probably twice that including training and practice over the years, 

I only counted primary jobs at 8 hour shifts. I spent thousands of hours in O/T and at 2nd and 3rd jobs (moonlighting) as well as thousands of hours at home learning on my own. Now I'm really curious how many actual hours I have. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Jobnt said:

I only counted primary jobs at 8 hour shifts. I spent hundreds of hours in O/T, thousands of hours at 2nd and 3rd jobs (moonlighting) and thousands of hours at home learning on my own or doing contract work. Now I'm really curious how many actual hours I have. 

Yup, I only counted working hours based on a 5 day week, 40/hr week....nevermind all of the OT, contract, helping a buddy out, figuring out stuff at home after work on your own.....

At this point it is probably more than can ever be accurately calculated but 35k/hrs is definitely conservative.

• Like 1
Just now, Jobnt said:

I only counted primary jobs at 8 hour shifts. I spent hundreds of hours in O/T, thousands of hours at 2nd and 3rd jobs (moonlighting) and thousands of hours at home learning on my own or doing contract work. Now I'm really curious how many actual hours I have. 

Yeah 10k for me I would say in Mastercam, 99% without errors too at least wish I could say 100%

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, gcode said:

and speaking of genius's who learn software in a week, 

I was once told that Boeing  required 10K hours of seat time before they would accept an application for a CATIA programmer.

At 40 hour weeks, that's about 5 years experience before they will even look at your resume.

All that time is really just to ensure they know how to properly export models to screw the programmers in the especially debilitating way...

• Haha 5