Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How to smoothen this surface?

Metals and materials

55 minutes ago, #Rekd™ said:

Try equal scallop if you haven’t already.

52 minutes ago, Aaron Eberhard said:

Exactly.   Waterline will do a constant Z step down.  Where it's shallow, that'll lead to a large step over.   Equal Scallop will give a much better finish.

It Looks much better now. Thank you!!!

One last question....

please refer the picture below.   At the end of the very thin tiny wall, at the bottom, there is sharp like edge. THe radii is 0.045" around those walls. Apparently, the curve 5 axis was giving good finish. Pencil or other from 3axis were not working good. So question is how can I remove that sharp edge like thing. 

corneredge.PNG

15 minutes ago, Metals and materials said:

One last question....

please refer the picture below.   At the end of the very thin tiny wall, at the bottom, there is sharp like edge. THe radii is 0.045" around those walls. Apparently, the curve 5 axis was giving good finish. Pencil or other from 3axis were not working good. So question is how can I remove that sharp edge like thing. 

corneredge.PNG

Need to point out what you are referring to I cannot see it.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Metals and materials said:

One last question....

corneredge.PNG

Pencil can be a great toolpath

this is how i typically get a pencil toolpath to work well if it gives me any trouble with a task. 

if your having trouble try the following

leave the bitangency angle at about 165 degrees to start as mastercam defaults, thats a pretty decent number to begin with

set overthickness to .01" , see if the toolpath generates, if the toolpath fails to generate just keep increasing this overthickness in small increments, like (.01, .02, .05, .1, .2, .4) and eventually when the overthickness becomes large enough mastercam should be able to target that radii.

If your dealing with surfaces that meet up at very shallow angles above 165 degrees, then you can increase the bitangency angle but in most cases this is not needed. typically the bitangency angle wont need to go much below 165 degrees ever. 

another note is typically i dont need a containment boundary with pencil, but if your overthickness is too large and mastercams targeting too many radiis then a containment boundary can be helpful, but dont restrict yourself too much initially with a boundary or steep shallow as your testing the overthickness values

with that type of processing i never have any trouble with pencil personally, perhaps someones found an even more efficient method but typically i can get it working great pretty quickly. 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2
20 hours ago, Aaron Eberhard said:

Exactly.   Waterline will do a constant Z step down.  Where it's shallow, that'll lead to a large step over.   Equal Scallop will give a much better finish.

I have only used Hybrid very rarely so don't have a ton of experience with this process, but it seems to work well in this kind of situation.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

Need to point out what you are referring to I cannot see it.

inside red circle. I am trying to remove that bump and blending the floor and the radius at bottom of the wall. 

20 hours ago, #Rekd™ said:

Look at the In-House free training tutorials "Worm Gear Review" and see how they use a "Scallop" tool path to create a blend on a sharp feature.

THank you, I will take a look right away.

15 hours ago, JoshC said:

Pencil can be a great toolpath

I never touched overthickness. I will try to increase overthickness. See how it yields. 

12 hours ago, David Colin said:

A powerful way to precisely locate machining areas for finishing is to use 'fake' stock models.

Thank you David, this was really good. 

1 hour ago, cruzila said:

I have only used Hybrid very rarely so don't have a ton of experience with this process, but it seems to work well in this kind of situation.

Hybrid is taking sooooooo looong to finish. Equal Scallop is half the hybrid time and (here) giving good finish at floor. 

pointed.PNG

• Like 1