Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Hasp for my X5 seems to have died ? Told by supplier there is no replacement available ?

1 hour ago, Ulstermanone said:

Had X3 then was upgraded to X4 and then X5

Worked ok for yrs on a couple of computers and on this one about two yrs

Now the Hasp is not lighting up or the computer reconiseing it is even there

Any ideas ?

With the age of the Hasp, it's possible it's dead... I'd check the drivers out first and there is or was anyway,  a little app that could tell you for certain if it is dead..

Assuming it is dead for a moment,  you possibly could have an issue getting another Hasp. I'm pretty sure they've gone software licenses only...I could be wrong on that but thought during a conversation with my reseller was told Hasps were a thing of the past.

Considering the version,  it is LONG outdated and no longer supported.

I have a Hasp that will run 2019 but at this point it's no longer upgradeable.

You might be in a spot

• Like 1
1 hour ago, cncappsjames said:

My understanding is the same as JP's... USB Hasp is a thing of the past. Relics of a bygone era. 

I haven't had one for quite some time. 

I'm still running a USB hasp.

When I bought V7 it came with a white hasp that plugged into a printer port.

I don't remember when I had to swap it out for a USB hasp. I'm thinking X or X2.

It still works and CNC still supports it, but should it break or get lost, it will be replaced

with a software license.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, gcode said:

but should it break or get lost, it will be replaced

with a software license.

Yes, tell the dealer and they will take care of it...but it will cost a lot of money, which means you still have to upgrade.
The dealer said at the time that Hasp was obsolete and could not replace USB, and that it would cost money to upgrade the software license.
(You cannot replace the old X5 Hasp with the X5 software license)
The dealer said that it must be upgraded to the current release version, so the company updated everything
The days of Hasp are over

I've kept my license current for 26 years now.

If you're current, going from a dead hasp to a software license is a small fee.

If you're not current, you will have to get current which will cost a lot of $$$

If you are more than 3 releases behind, it will probably be cheaper to buy a new seat than renew an old

expired one.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money to upgrade to the latest version
You can go to the dealer and try to ask them to ask their customers if they have an old version of HASP (no longer in use)
Then buy it with cheaper money....this is one way

As far as I know, the only legal way to acquire and old hasp is to buy a business that owns the license.

Of course 2 people doing a deal on a 10 year old hasp could care less what CNC Software thinks

as there is no support for a 10 year old license, no matter who owns it.

Thank for the Replys

If it worked for last two yrs on this computer there is no conflict issue

It was bought outright at the time so permanant lience stand alone

I think some maybe right that its now dead and that will be the end of it as i had it almost from the release of X3 -------Used X19 and stuff on network but not interested upgrading to that system so if i cant get new Hasp will just call it a day -----So many in the UK now using other Cam software and i am begining to understand why

• Haha 3
12 minutes ago, Ulstermanone said:

Have you tried an uninstall/reinstall, your hasp drivers may have gotten corrupted somehow.

I have worked on machines 30 plus years old that they still work no issue and dont suddenly stop working because an ancient hasp long since paid for is still needed -----Its a stupid idea in 2024 to be honest ----------------I dont need one third of the new stuff found on some of these softwares to be honest as they dont work in real life and way to slow ---------Other than complicated curves i really dont have time to use it anymore as Macros would have it done in 10 percent of the time -I have saw this type of stuff with Allen Bradley now over last few yrs and obsoliting stuff long since bought -------its just sad i have no access to files and stuff used becuase of a 5 dollar Hasp burning out ---------Install and reinstall and do the magic three times around the computer and it still does not work

• Haha 1
  • Huh? 1
15 hours ago, Ulstermanone said:

-----Its a stupid idea in 2024 to be honest --------

You're right, and that's why they haven't used them for quite a few years now.  

In all honesty, it sounds like your mind was made up from the beginning anyways.  I'm curious though, what is this "new stuff" that's way too slow and doesn't work in "real life"??

• Like 2
1 hour ago, JB7280 said:

I'm curious though, what is this "new stuff" that's way too slow and doesn't work in "real life"??

Maybe a servo-modded knee mill with a 4k spindle and DRO can't handle 2D dynamic ruffing? Dunno. Wouldn't be surprised if it was that kind of issue though... Buddy came in pretty hot, not really asking for assistance. I don't know if it comes from a place of technological ignorance, or wanting/needed something to work just as it has for a few years.

EVERYTHING wears out eventually, gotta have a plan in place for when the failures materialize!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, SuperHoneyBadger said:

Maybe a servo-modded knee mill with a 4k spindle and DRO can't handle 2D dynamic ruffing? Dunno. Wouldn't be surprised if it was that kind of issue though... Buddy came in pretty hot, not really asking for assistance. I don't know if it comes from a place of technological ignorance, or wanting/needed something to work just as it has for a few years.

EVERYTHING wears out eventually, gotta have a plan in place for when the failures materialize!

And even when you plan for everything correctly, you can end up with a supply issue of out-of-production parts... That's why you end up bidding against NASA on Ebay if you need 2 or 386 processors nowadays...

To answer the original question, maybe if you get lucky Mastercam still has a replacement of one they can sell you directly?  Have you talked to the main office in Tolland CT?  860.875.5006

But yeah, if I remember correctly (and it was a long while ago?), I believe that Sentinel was discontinuing the HASPs that were being used.  At that time, it looked like USB-A was going to be a fading format anyway, which it largely has been sunsetted except on workstation-class machines nowadays.  

1 minute ago, Aaron Eberhard said:

That's why you end up bidding against NASA on Ebay if you need 2 or 386 processors nowadays...

Oh man, I gotta check the grandparent's basement now.

Also makes me wish I had bought an IBM XT with a board instead of a bare chassis a few years ago, it's destined for a modern gaming rig so it only had the PSU inside. Never thought about reselling the innards at the time.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Ulstermanone said:

Thank for the Replys

It was bought outright at the time so permanant lience stand alone

I think some maybe right that its now dead and that will be the end of it as i had it almost from the release of X3 -------Used X19 and stuff on network but not interested upgrading to that system so if i cant get new Hasp will just call it a day -----So many in the UK now using other Cam software and i am begining to understand why

Dang - nice burn for the UKerrrrs!

Granted I had to leave, but I'd like to think I could, possibly, return, IF i wanted to....:whistle:

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, SuperHoneyBadger said:

Oh man, I gotta check the grandparent's basement now.

Also makes me wish I had bought an IBM XT with a board instead of a bare chassis a few years ago, it's destined for a modern gaming rig so it only had the PSU inside. Never thought about reselling the innards at the time.

Ya never know!   You could have been sitting on a gold mine!  Well, a $86.25 after shipping gold mine, but still :)

I love when people mod the old cases.   I should find a Tandy 1000HX to drop an i9 into....

1 hour ago, SuperHoneyBadger said:

I have I nice vid of X4 dynamic pocketing a big ally block on a Prototrak 2axis SMX1500 mill running flat out at 4k rpm and 2000mm/min feedrate.

But this was 2009/2010 and I am soooo last Wednesday.... :lol:

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, Newbeeee™ said:

I have I nice vid of X4 dynamic pocketing a big ally block on a Prototrak 2axis SMX1500 mill running flat out at 4k rpm and 2000mm/min feedrate.

But this was 2009/2010 and I am soooo last Wednesday.... :lol:

ProtoTrak DPM SX5 was the first NC machine I ever ran, ~2013,  fond memories. Would be a messy job running HSM toolpaths on an open machine! We had to get out the cardboard box panel to deflect the facemill chips back then, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1