Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T apptitude test

most importantly check his or her references from past jobs !!!and maybe a background check you would be surprised what you can get from the internet her in new jersey we have magens law where petifies have to registar well i was checking around and i found a guy here that works in assembly who did time 10 years worth for assult on a under age girl ... and then in the nj doc (dept of corections ) i found a guy in engineering who did time for shooting his niebor and they both work here and you cant do nothing about it cant get rid of them after the fact so do your home work....

Just wanted to add smile.gif , we hired this one guy, for running and setup up the vmc. Now this guy is real smart, he's a fast learner, you show him something once, and he'll never forget it.

So we let him work overtime, its not like any of us want to work overtime. smile.gif So one day we come in the morning, and find the Zaxis waycover on one of our vmc's dented, looks like a tool or something hit it.

Anyway my employer later finds out this guy has been taking part time cnc programming courses at a trade school and he's been practising his G-code skills on our cnc machines. He was fired the next day when he tried to pin it on one of us.

ROFLMAO on so many of these. I recently quit my last comfy job so I could go back to setting up machines instead of programming, setting them up and running them. I enjoyed programming and would go back in a hearbeat (just not to my last employer) There aren't many employers that are asking for programmers lately. After I was asked to come work for my current employer, I asked the owner if he worked Saturday's and if so what time does he start? He said they start at 8 am. I told him that I would see him then and that I will work for free for one day. I wanted to see what kind of a shop I was getting into before I quit my other job where I couldnt get fired from, yes I tried. I hated working for people who won't pay for the software and that treated there emplyee's like animals. But besides that I just wanted to let everyone know that it goes both ways. Sucks to go from great job to one where it sucks the life out of you. But at the new job its a short drive as opposed to 2 hours. Besides the bosses are nice guys as opposed to slave hearders who think that there parts are going in orbit in space and that every dimension should be within .002 even if its 150 inches long. LOL rant mode off. wish I could find a place that ran Mastercam and Actually paid for it (Pet peeve) Ok Ok rant mode off again.

BTW Rekd how did you want that block squared up? Just using the vice and a Square or a vice and a dowel behind one face that was previously machined. Wierd but I have seen it both ways and I am sure that there are tons of different ways of squaring up a piece of matl. and that I am just beginning to to learn after being in this field for 15 years 13 of it as a manual machinist making investment cast molds.

quote:

First thing I do is find out if they speak, read, and write English. Lack of communication can and will be a big problem

Here in Israel communication is also very important for us .

The man must know ..... Russian !

Otherwise how will he communicate with coworkers ? headscratch.gif

I do no intend to offend the "native " Israelies

but at all my work places mostly everyone except a boss spoke Russian headscratch.gif .

Speaking seriously I provided many intervies once and I learned one thing - give him a chance to talk and listen ,in most cases that`s enough .

Give him a chance to ask questions -in most cases a question can tell a lot. Give him some simple work and you will see what he worth .

Here is a little world and everyone in the trade know someone who can tell about a guy `s character and this is most important .

I would prefer good person without knowledge to bad charater professional .

Teh Absolut vodka consumer.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

By dirty, I mean not wiped down after the last use, perhaps some coolant residue, fine chips between the gaps in the collets. What I woudl be looking for is to se if the person would take the time to wipe the stuff down or if the person is just going to put it together as-is. I'm looking for a mode of thinking you know?? Personally, I'd hope the guy would wipe the holders down even if they were clean, put a spot of oil in the collet taper and on the collet nut too, which is what/how I would do it.

JM2C

• 2 years later...

quote:

Does anybody have a copy of the test mentioned in this thread?

I just did a quick scan of this topic and didn't see what test you were referring to. Anyway, I put 2 files in the Unspecified Uploads folder on Jay's FTP. They're called milling proficiency test.pdf and turning proficiency test.pdf. I got them from someone here at the forum a few years back.

Thad

quote:

Ask them how they would square a block on a manual mill.

Good one Rekd! I am amazed at how many guys who claim they are a "MACHINIST" that can't even fathom the concept of squaring up all six sides of a block. There is only one guy in our shop who can. The other guys? Showed them several times and they just don't get it! What's a square? eek.gifbonk.gif

That's the first thing we had to do in our Class when we started on the mills. Square the block. Instructor was a little confused when I asked for a 3" long .5" endmill biggrin.gif

Whoa, That's a pretty easy test tongue.gif I didn't even notice the answers until I got there, I think I might borrow that and give it to my teacher.