Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Mozilla

Rekd™

Get Mozilla

quote:

...But last Friday, in response to the latest security exploit involving Microsoft products, the usually staid U.S. government's Computer Emergency Readiness Team, or US-CERT, published a warning strongly suggesting that users of Microsoft's Internet Explorer should switch to another Web browser, due to "significant vulnerabilities" in technologies included in IE...

Do I hear an "I told you so" coming? biggrin.gif

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big proponent of Mozilla here. biggrin.gif But when I heard about the CERT warning I just thought "what the F* is Microsoft thinking?" cuckoo.gif I know they're trying to get Longhorn and the SP2 for XP out with only a reasonable set of delays but the security holes and exploits coming off IE are ridiculous. They really need to fix this thing it has become a total joke. (Better yet, just license Mozilla from the Mozilla Foundation and call it good. )

Bryan smile.gif

I really like FireFox. No problems since using it. With my last go-around with IE6, it took me three weeks to finally find the little "reloader" program and rip it out by the roots. I could exterminate all the adware files - but it kept coming back. The most recent update from Norton could find the files, but they were write-protected and Norton couldnt delete em - even in safe mode. I ended up using the threat list from Norton to track down and kill each one, one-by-one. I have now "unloaded" IE6 and MSN explorer (well - to the extent that XP will let you).

quote:

due to "significant vulnerabilities" in technologies included in IE...

I am still using it and those that wish to attack or abuse the most popular browsers will always target them as such.

Basically, I feel powerless unless I change my browser preference, but even then, a crafty programmer has the ability to move with the second choice as well.

I admire those that can make such a change on the fly. Although unrelated, I can remember Veronica, Archie, and Mosiac which was the predecessor to the amazing Netscape which changed the world forever. – My goodness I am getting old anymore.

cheers.gif

Regards, Jack

The FACT is, Jack, that the ActiveX scripting and the fact that it's tied so closely with the OS make it a prime target for hackers to launch, without your knowledge OR consent, programs from your browser.

Mozilla will NOT allow anything like that to run without your consent.

quote:

So Firefox is just navigator side of Mozilla?

Sorta kinda. Firefox is just the browser. But Firefox will eventually replace the current Navigator in the Mozilla suite. Navigator is the current browser and Firefox is the "next generation", so to speak.

I'm with Matt on this. Because IE is so tightly woven into the fabric of Windows (remember the court battles over this?), this has come back to bite Microsoft sqaure in the tookus smile.gif I had a feeling this would happen since IE 4.0 (or the Desktop Integration as it was also known circa 1998). The Mozilla browsers, or any other web browsers for that matter, are simply that...a web browser. It isn't an extention of Explorer (which is Windows' UI, simply put).

The open-source guys will see this as a victory, too, if non-IE browsers reclaim significant ground on IE. Code reviews and check-ins that aren't mandated by a target ship date to make investors happy seems to working so far.

I do remember when Microsoft deliberatly screwed with the source code so that Netscape users were virually crippled into reinstalling the whole nine yards. I did this many times only to get caught up with the whole illegal stance and practice - this is what eventually led me into their browser; frustration and nothing but.

ActiveX or whatever the routine Mircosoft uses tomorrow, I will likely keep up with and suffer the vernability risks as well.

What really burned me in this whole affair is that I bought the stainless mugs, the hats, and the shirts as well - I would have to do some serious scoping to find these articles now. biggrin.gif

Regards, Jack

I myself am a big OPERA fan....(browser, that is). I've played with Mozilla, a little slow though? and looks too much like IE biggrin.gif

Opera advantages:

-wicked fast

-secure

-mouse jesture navigation

-very easy multiple window/session management

-very customizable toolbars and features

-open souce

-free

-wicked fast

Disadvantages that I've found:

-Java is weak (duh), although each release it gets better.

-banner ad at top of screen takes some getting used to.

and THE major disadvantage-

Once you get the hang of the mouse jestures and speed, all other browsers seem like they are running on dial-up. biggrin.gif

Opera facts.

quote:

Opera advantages:

-wicked fast

-secure

-open souce

-free

-wicked fast

Open source? Does Opera know that? wink.gif

Bryan smile.gif

quote:

Opera advantages:

-wicked fast

-secure

-open souce

-free

-wicked fast

As good as Opera is, I have to disagree with a couple of those points; open source and free. Opera is not open-source and it never has been. It is a commercial product that retails for $40 or you can download the free version with an advertisement banner.

Hi guy's,

10 years ago I was all into this computer stuff, download this and download that. What runs with that, and how can I customize this.

Now I have more or less devoted all my time on, trying to educated myself in Mastercam, and perfect my machine skills. Why does my 13 year old throw pizza in another girls face, and why my 19 year old does not have the drive to get a good education, and make more money than me.

So I fell more or less computer iliterat, but dont verly care, as long as I can sit down and do simple stuff, like check my email, and open up this forum.

So if I download Mozilla, do I need to do alot of ****ing around to get it to work, or can I just download it and use it right away??

Thanks

Lars

Yes, you can use it right away, if you're comfortable with installing software. It can be customized easily with downloadable extensions but it is extremely functional "out of the box", if that's what you're concerned about.

The only thing that's left for you to decide is Firefox/Thunderbird VS Mozilla Suite (read this to help you decide).

Question.....lets say most of the PC users switch to Mozilla.

Wouldn't the hackers just find new ways to expliot this system as well?

It has been my experience that nothing is unhackable. Since IE is the widest used browser, it is the one under fire.....lucky for the hackers it is so full of holes....

Murlin