Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

TOOLCHANGER HELP!

ARP

We have a Dahlih Vert. CNC with a Fanuc O-M control.

The toolnumbers are out of sync with the machine. When I call T13 the carousel goes to T12 and thinks this is the correct tool. I tried reading the manual but it asks me for an address in the paremeters page and I don't know what the heck it wants. I'm really stuck, so any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ARP

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...The toolnumbers are out of sync with the machine. When I call T13 the carousel goes to T12 and thinks this is the correct tool...

If the tools are set up to be "random", then all is fine. It just means you have to load the tools from the spindle to ensure the correct tool goes to the correct pocket. Random just means that the spindle tool, when it gets changed goes into the waiting tool pot.

In a nutshel it wants you to load the tools ferom the spindle. If you want to start out fresh, Try the Custom Page, there should be a tool table available and you can reset it and put in the tools to match the pockets, then put the tools into the magazine.

HTH

If it is a side mounted tool changer then all is fine as James says.

I have one machine with an umbrella tool changer and it has a sensor for tool #1. Everytime I turn the machine on, the tool changer makes one complete revolution until it hits the sensor and knows that is pocket #1. I suppose it's possible if there was some dirt on the sensor then it could get triggered at a tool pocket other than #1.

I have Vertical Dahlih's that the tool #'s don't match the carousel.

It doesn't matter what the # is on the carousel,as long as the right tool comes out when calling it out in the program.

This is usually established by calling the tool up in say MDI and manually loading them in.

One machine that I have used that 'what comes out does go in' was a Matsuura 1000.

It had the extra arm on it.

If you want to set the tool number to match all you have to do is make sure the z axis is below zero return position and in mdi call a tool change for the position it is curently at and hit cycle start.Then check and the numbers should match.That is how they get out of position in the first place,usualy someone tries a tool change when the z axis is not at home position and the control thinks that it did a tool change.That is what I do on the dahlih's to fix this problem.The other option is to remove the tool changer motor mounting screws lift up the motor to clear the geneva wheel and manualy move the toolchanger to were the control thinks it is.

HTH Noel

quote:

When I call T13 the carousel goes to T12 and thinks this is the correct tool

If it is not a "random" setup as James suggested than you need to change parameters. I've seen it happen quite a few times before on machines with fixed tool pocked position (the ones where you can load tool directly into carusel).

Call a tool, see which pocked machine picked from and change parameter of a current tool to match this pocked #.

You should be good to go.

cheers.gif

Regards, Mark

quote:

load the tools from the spindle

Not to hijack a thread or anything but how many of you would prefer to load a tool directly into a magazine (instead of into a spindle) and let a machine take over from there ???

The reason I'm asking is that it gets old with several setups a day and 50 taper tools...

I kind of miss the carusel style changer where you could flip open a little side door and load up a magazine.

I'm 35 and already after a hernia surgery... and I thought it was reserved for guys my dad's age... biggrin.gif

Regards, Mark

Noel, you were right on the mark. I have a carousel on the machine and the tool should/has to go back to the correct pocket otherwise the sequence will be wrong. I didn't realize though, about tool changing when z is not at home - thanks for this tip. I ended up removing the motor like you mentioned becasue I couldn't figure out how to get the computer reset to fix the problem electronically. I was back and running in less than 20 minutes.

Thanks to all

I have a Fanuc 18M that gets out of sync from time to time. I make my changes in [system]-[pcmprm]- [counter]. From there it is a matter of changing the preset and current values. I prefer loading my tools in the changer when I am swapping out a "big package" of tools. When I am doing 1 or 2 I will do it in the spindle. Do you use a presetter for your height offsets? Maybe that would decide where you would load your tools.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

Not to hijack a thread or anything but how many of you would prefer to load a tool directly into a magazine (instead of into a spindle) and let a machine take over from there ???

I DESPISE loading tools into the spindle. I set my tool height outside of the machine anyway so no biggie. I've got CAT50 tools also and they get heavy.

JM2C

quote:

I agree with matthew. If you load 20 tools set some then go to lunch you might miss 1 when you come back.

Yep...that exact thing happened to me once. I was setting my tools and someone asked me to help them with something else. When I came back I didn't realize I missed one and ended up plowing a 1/4" end mill into the jaw of my spiffy new Kurt II vise! I now have a nice little hole there to remind me to set the tool length offset! Now I put the tool in the spindle, set the height offset, then load it into the carousel. That way, I KNOW if it's in the carousel the lenght offset is OK. I think we need little routines like that just to keep our sanity!

bonk.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

How about Zeroing out all the offsets then you KNOW which ones are set and which ones are not, which is SOP for me, Fixture offsets too. biggrin.gif This is the ONLY way I've found that if I get distracted in the middle of something I still know exactly where I'm at when I get back to it. Distractions are a regular occurrence for me where I work.

James teh kill 'em all let the setup guy sort it all out.

• 12 years later...