Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

3-D programs... $/hr.

Fish

Ooops, I've got a real basic question to throw out there, looking for some opinions. A friend of mine needs some 3-d programing done, how much is a basic programing rate per hour. I'm not sure how to charge him!! Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

This site is great isn't it!!

There is an engineering firm here that charges $75.00 an hour for complex programming. I think for a friend I would charge half that at least. Depends who's software you are using too I guess. If your using his system at his place I guess maybe $25.00 is fare.

Fish, this can be really hard to answer. It depends upon your & your friends exact situation.

Are you a self employed contract programmer, or are you planning to do this on the side at your regular paid job with or without the knowledge of your employer? Our company charges $65 an hour for programming. We have even been known to write programs gratis for other companies. People always remember a favor. Personally, I would never take in programming work without the knowledge of my employer. (I'm not saying that this is what you are doing, BTW) So, that being said, I agree with Paul. Personally, I wouldn't charge a friend for something like this because my employer would most likely let me do it anyway & if he was a good friend I wouldn't feel right charging him to begin with. However, if the job is really complex & is going to require everal operations, I would probably work up a quote for programming & machining. This way I could let my buddy know what exactly it was that he was asking for. If your friend is not in the manufacturing field, he may not realize how expensive it is going to be to not only have a part programmed, but to have it machined. I have been in the situation more that once where friends want to copy a product and assume that because I work in a machine shop that I can copy anything & it won't cost a thing. OK, I am off my soap box. Somebody hand me a towel.

quote:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...

“Wow! What a ride!"

Hey, I just used that one 2 quotes ago. biggrin.gif

Thad

What to charge and do you charge is a hard question to ask in my book as stated by others. Me I went for months to my new place helping showing and giving tips without every getting paid one dime for it. I helped them develope better posts and help show things to help the times I was over there. I was not thinking of going to work there I was just being me. I have helped alot of people over the years and do alot for people and never got any money for it. I help alot of people on this forum outside of it and it is never known by the people on the forum. I do not do it to recieve money I do it to be the person I am. Do you need the money, do you need to get paid the get your bills caught up or help your fmaily and your friend knows this and is helping by all means collect what you can but be fair and it will all work to your favor. Are you going to be doing 3 hours of work or 300 hours of work makes a big difference if you should get paid.

My point is this we are all different and alot of people have called me crazy to do alot of what I do and have done without getting paid for it with money but you know what I get paid everyday for what I have done and do for others by the life I get to live everyday. I have a good job that I like to do, I have a great wife and family that loves and cares for me right back and I have more than I could every thought possible in this life that is my pay back that is why I feel good doing what I do and if can do it and get something out of it with experience, trust, and possibly a different direction or furture in your life then you got soemthing more than money will every give you!!!!!!

Ok like said before off the box I go.

Peace out.

quote:

A friend of mine needs some 3-d programing done, how much is a basic programing rate per hour. I'm not sure how to charge him!!

Simple, first time is free, especially for a friend. If he likes the toolpaths and comes back for more then an overtime rate sounds fair.

If the job is interesting and I might learn something from it I'd still do it for free. smile.gif

cheers.gif

Regards, Mark

They are going good Don having to fix a brain fart tonight but such is life is the big city. Thing are very busy here looks like everyone is going to 12 hours a day for the next couple months. With 2 shift gives us the ability to cover 24 hours a day which is what it looks like we might need for a while. We might be getting a 80 X 30 Fadal so will help unload the one big machine we got. Just plugging awya trying to make it all work the bets I can. Kids and wife are happy in the house been about 6 months now so that makes them feel better.

How about you been doing good. I still have your email just been keeping prttye busy is all.

Best Regards, Ron

$100 per hour - even if only 2D work.

It separates the BS from the real need. Lot’s of customers might balk at the cost but in my opinion it is a fair price. I might suggest not programming as a favor to close friends but to recommend somebody else since you are too close to the source and might only gain grief in the future.

Two easy steps to take are to never sell yourself short and avoid the conflict of friends using friends – please do not take this as friends needing friends. The truest method as to what to charge a customer is your ability to sense the need and how you carry yourself.

cheers.gif

Regards, Jack

If you are using your own software, at least $75 per hour.

If you are using the customer's software, $35-$50 per hour.

Avoid a "fixed price" quote, and make it clear to the customer that you will bill for any changes; even small ones.

Make sure you consult with the customer in advance so you know what tooling they have available, and agree to an overall process plan.

I prefer to program on-site in most cases.

This is a tough way to make a living, but a nice way to make a few extra $$$ on the side.

Jack makes some valid points, however I respectfully disagree even though I often regret getting involved with projects, which may be more than I bargained for. I am always willing to help a friend. As the saying goes, "A friend in need is a friend indeed."

That said, Jack is correct in not selling yourself short. If you are programming as a friend, than some frosties and a handshake should suffice, however if this is a business proposition, it does not benefit you or your customer to underbid a potentially profitable venture. Any business that performs work for satisfaction, pride, friendship.... whatever.... besides profit, is destined to failure in a capitalist society. One cannot sustain a business on friendship and when either party can no longer exist without profit, it will hurt everyone involved in that relationship and the entire venture will fail.

quote:

If you are using your own software, at least $75 per hour.

If you are using the customer's software, $35-$50 per hour.

I am leaning toward this cheers.gif

Friends aside, unless your building a bracket for a buddies racecar. Someone is gonna benefit from your hard work! Someone's machine is gonna pump out thousands of parts or a mold, die etc. Why not make some extra beer money? cheers.gif