Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Curious: MasterCAM vs. WorkNC

stanektool

In a different thread I had started a conversation about why we use WorkNC over MasterCAM and I had gotten some input about MasterCAM being just as good if not better then WorkNC. I just found out that we are spending over $8k a year on Maintenance for WorkNC and would be delighted if that could go away.

So let me ask.

My WorkNC programmer sat me down and showed me something that he said would have to be a necessity if we were to make the switch. He brought up the part in 3D and ran the tool path on it. The screen showed the 3D part and yellow lines over the 3D part which represented the center of the cutters path. He then, in the 3D view drew a box over the yellow tool path and it automatically remove those paths within the box and recalculated. He was also able to select a single path by clicking on it and select a generic shape. All of these automatically removed the tool paths in that area and recalculated. Can masterCAM do this or anything close to this?

I know this is an ease of use issue, but if it saves them 30 minutes a day of clicking around the screen, that saves the company money. Although I am not sure if that is close to the $8k we are spending a year on maint. But if it means the difference between getting a job out on time or not it just will not do.

Secondly, what level of MasterCAM do we need to do 3D tool paths/cutter paths?

Thirdly are there any good "non-technical" books which will teach 3D tool pathing in MasterCAM?

Thanks guys.

-Craig

Mastercam has some cool editing features... (meta-cut... etc) Where are you at? I'm sure your local re-seller can show you some stuff to suit your shop. cheers.gif

quote:

Secondly, what level of MasterCAM do we need to do 3D tool paths/cutter paths?

You could probably get away with level 2. I would recomend level 3. Your re-seller could give you details. If you ever ran into any problems with anything, rtfaq.gif Here is the place you want to be! biggrin.gif

Trimming toolpaths in Mastercam does have limitations...if you trim out your lead in/lead out moves...no more cutter comp.

quote:

I would rather get the opinion of people that use the software who have nothing to do with making money from the sale of the software.

Good idea...but be warned. this forum is full of mastercam fans...

Well what you just gave as an exmaple of editing to me is just a waste of time in programming. Why would you program a path to have to remove part of it. I do 3d and have done 3d for a while now and I make all type of boundaries, limiting surfaces, and other things while makiing the toolpaths that keep me from getting cuts in places I do not want. I almost 99% of the time make a toolpah post it, send it to the machine hit the green button and walk away on 3d parts. If you are having to edit out moves and this that then to me wasting more time than saving if you have certain editing tools that Mastercma does not. Maybe you need those editing tools becuase you are so limited on the toolpaths.

Level 3 all the way if doing 3d work Level 2 sucks for complex multisurface 3d machining in my humble opinion.

quote:

Why would you program a path to have to remove part of it.

Absolutly! cheers.gif

If your just machining just a piece of a surface or a 3d contour... Mastercam does a pretty good job of letting the programmer have control of the toolpaths. I never have had to edit my .nc.

quote:

Good idea...but be warned. this forum is full of mastercam fans...

biggrin.gif

stanektool,

An interesting comparison between both systems. I personally, would tend to agree Ron Branches response.

“The mans asking a question about purchasing MasterCam.

Go ahead xxxx him off.

Lets try being constructive.”

I disagree; it is not my position to sell this to an obviously informed person – This is for a salesman, specifically one that services the sales area in question. Please be assured that this opinion is very much constructive.

WorkNc and many others drive the competition to what it is today and that is what causes Cnc Software to develop a clear cut and competitive solution. Stanetool stated an obvious benefit that serves his/their needs; I could only wish that other competitors would as well.

WorkNc’s market share appears to be miniscule but that does not necessarily mean the system is not equal to the task. The 8K yearly maintenance seems rather extravagant considering Mastercam and the rest of the cam market in general.

cheers.gif

Regards, Jack

Most of the mold shops around my area use worknc and mastercam both. They really like worknc for calculation time and use mastercam for trim rines runners ect. But they have been making the same type of molds with mc for years. Woorknc is suposed to be (according to them) more automatic in its program creation. I have never got to see it run agnainst mc so i don;t no for sure. On a last note the same guys tell me if your going to only have one cam system use mc because it will do any job they get thru the door.

I have used both - we chose mastercam for its 5axis abilities and strong 2d machining. But it depends on your needs. If you need that rapid editing ability - mastercam can't do it. It can do a hell of a lot more than Worknc in other areas. But if that rapid editing is what you need mastercam can't do it. But it can do better in other ways - more of a change in how you program - set it up right first not fix it after. It took us a little while to get over that but now we dont think about it. You don't miss it.

That's my two cents worth - oh - remember mastercam now has an annual maint. fee too - not 8k but its there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

If you need that rapid editing ability - mastercam can't do it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You simply do not need it !

I worked on Cad-Cam `s with strong ability to do it ,mostly because it was not able to do what MC can .

It can do so much that with a bit of knowledge and creativity you can do literally everything .

Now using Operation libraries ,level names ,tool libraries ,entyty manager and good defaults specific to your task you can work very ,VERY Fast !

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know this is an ease of use issue, but if it saves them 30 minutes a day of clicking around the screen, that saves the company money. Although I am not sure if that is close to the $8k we are spending a year on maint. But if it means the difference between getting a job out on time or not it just will not do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

tHAT`s a good point .

MHO is with MC you can do your work fast and I do .

And I do molds ,BTW .

And never scrapped anything

Wish you good luck no matter on what program you`ll program your molds ,fellows mold-makers !

Look here for some examples of MC might

http://www.emastercam.com/cgi-bin/ultimate...=1;t=007505;p=1

I worked with WorkNC about 9 years ago in combination with Pro-E for design. WorkNC, at the time, was a CAM-only package, which meant a lot of strategy on the Pro-E side. One of the remarkable things in WorkNC, which I have only seen in a Japanese package called Camtool, was its ability to keep track of stock which had already been cut. That meant subsequent tools only cut what had been left over without crashing into remaining areas. Another remarkable thing about WorkNC was that it had a couple of really snazzy toolpaths that created awesome finishes for molds.

I don't know how WorkNC has evolved over the years. Nine years ago it had a lot of limitations as far as setting boundaries along parting lines, cutting in 2-D, etc.. I woulnd't mind taking it for a drive again. As far as Mastercam goes: I have the flexibility I like that I did not have with the Pro-E/WorkNC combo.

But as some one said a few posts back: one has to be creative with whatever one is using. And that is what makes this work so interesting. The cad and cam packages are just the tools in the hands of the artisan.

Hi Craig

We have WorkNc and Mastercam V9.12 Mill level3 both at our shop. And peraonaly I would rather you take my toolbox away than make me use WorkNc over Mastercam everyday. First of all Go ahead and try to make Work Coordinate Systems in WorkNC as easy as you can in MC. Oh and then try to make I don't know lets say a surface or I know drill a hole in WorkNC. Oh wait youe can't. Tell your WorkNC programmer to get a life and start using some real programming software not just something only he can use.