Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MasterCAM crashes . . . . help!

Code_Breaker

I occasionally have th same thing happen to me - same error - the whole works. I also did a clean install and updates. It seems to be random and has happened in a variety of circumstances (no other programs, other programs running, etc.). I have never had two sessions of MC running. The only common factor when it crashes is regenerating a tool path (sometimes a new one, sometimes regenerating one that I modified). I don't have the logs - I will save them next time (I just did a full system rebuild, starting with a low-level format).

I now SAVE very frequently and shortened the auto-save interval - it is annoying when you have done several toolpaths, haven't saved, and .......crash....

Hardmill, take the bet . . . 98% of the time g-code is right, but not this time.

tongue.gif

The file is on the FTP site called CRASH_PAD.ZIP. I left the toolpath (tool #19) in its original state when crashing MC. I had to increase the tolerance from .0001 to .0003 and the step over from .0025 to .003 before I could get it to work. Also, increase toolpath allocations from 180000 to 200000.

HF, I am going home . . . 12-7 is all I can take . . . biggrin.gif

I downloaded the file and sent it on to

Hardmill.

When I regened the troublesome OP, it went all the way through and kicked out the error " Unable to write NCI file". It did not crash, but the MC( file was corruptted.

I uped my tool allocation/database memeory settings to 200K and tried again.

It Regen'd OK the second time.

I'm running V9 MR0904 with 2 gig of ram and a 300 meg disk cache.

The file is on the ftp as crash_pad_OK.zip

[ 12-01-2004, 10:39 PM: Message edited by: gcode ]

Code_Breaker !

I succesfully regened your op .

PC P4 2.4 +1gb Ram

Mastercam was fourth instance

3 Previous instances were :

database allocations 25000

toolpath 100000

This instance 16000

Why so low allocations settings ?

You have solids ,and solids memory is of the other nature ,parasolid kernel allocates memory directly and dynamically ,JMHO .

You must give him place to have it ,I suppose .

Now as you know ,even if you had not selected solid as geometry ,in calculation of teh toolpath solids are seen on screen and it can allocate memory for this .

So do not be afraid in case of solids free memory for parasolid kernel and do not raise toolpath allocations too much

I can send you my file too ,if you need it ,it`s

rather big 40 mb zipped ,so if you need it ,i`ll sent it

HTH

quote:

Code_Breaker !

I succesfully regened your op .

PC P4 2.4 +1gb Ram

Regened fine for me also.

P4 3.2 1gb ram

Current RAM allocation = 496.8

Database allocation = 200000

toolpath allocation = 300000

Brought it in first time without a problem headscratch.gifheadscratch.gif

PEACE biggrin.gif

Code you need at least 256meg of RAM to be 100% on toolpaths with those tolerance settings of .0001. A gig would be even better...

Mastercam will not warn you when you run out of RAM it just crashes....

I got mine set as high as it will allow....

256 on toolpaths and 256 on database....

You really need 2 gig total memory on your pc.If you run multiple copies you prol need 4 gig. if you multitask while running multiple copies...

~~~~~~~~~~

I think Iskander is on the right track.

If you have your memory allocations set too

high, Mastercam and the OpenGl kernal start

fighting over the RAM. The results can get

really wierd.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks ,Gcode .

Thefunny thing is going down in such cases always helps ,raising memory is unpredictable .

I checked it many times too ,and in cases of solids do not be affraid to lower toolpath allocation memory ,you will be surprised