Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

post requests

Hi,

I have several questions about acquiring posts...

I would've put this in the other recent topic but it was apparently just closed.

I know I could call and ask my reseller but I believe I will get a more thorough answer here.

What is the (general) charge for a post ?

Are generics available free but then a charge for mods and tweaks ?

Who do you pay ? Reseller ? Or forum members ?

How much will a post writer work with you to get it just right ?

I am just asking this from curiosity as I currently have all the posts I need. (Courtesy of a clever programmer before me.)

In the other recent discussion about posts somebody suggested some restrictions and potential guidelines for sharing posts. That sounds like a great idea. This forum should grab that ball and run with it. There could be a secure forum area that you need a unique identifier to log on to (given only after some kind of verification). In that area, there could be an auction where people can make requests and others would quote a price. You just select the price/service you want, pay the bill and download what you want !

There'll probably be 100 reasons why everybody thinks this is a lousy idea but it makes sense to me.

quote:

What is the (general) charge for a post ?

Usually the reseller gives ONE post free with the copy of Mastercam (though not necessary I guess headscratch.gif ). and discussing that price is also restricted here. The post which come with mastercam installation cd are free for user but if he wants more then there is charge for it.

The cost a post processor programmer will charge changes with region and requirement. And in most cases they do sit with you to give you full and final customized post as per your requirement.

HTH

quote:

They're free. They come with MC.

You can do the tweaks yourself, or get (free) help with doing the tweaks YOURSELF here.

You pay the person providing the service/product.

Depends. If you're paying, you'll prolly get a better post, but not always.

My suggestion... If you need a post to do specific things, ask questions here FIRST. NOT about getting the post free, but getting help in coding YOUR post. You'll likely get EVERYTHING you need this way.

HTH

We don't do anything fancy (rotary table, rotary axis, multiple vise setups, probing, etc) so our post tweaks are mainly personal preference on how we want our post to output the code and the occasional custom drilling cycle. We've made the edits ourselves to the best of our ability, along with help from this forum. There have been a few things that we couldn't figure out or didn't have the time to monkey with, so we sent the request to our reseller. We've been a maintenance customer from the start and we get post mods done free of charge. Of course we may have to get in line, based on priority, but it's never a must have situation for us. The guys at Axsys are great.

The funny thing is that some people think the forum gets a little silly over others asking for a post. After all, IT'S ONLY A POST! The fact of the matter is that any legitimate MC owner should have no reason to even ask for a post. Your reseller should supply you with posts for your machines. If you don't have a post, then chances are you didn't use the proper channels. With rampant software piracy, it doesn't take a genius to figure out why someone would come here, call themselves "Chip Maker," have no info in their profile, hidden email address, and ask for a 5 axis post on their first post to the forum. Then they are never heard from again. headscratch.gif Boy, that's a tough one!

Thad

+1000000 to Thad on the pirating issue. Remember guys and gals a portion of the cost of our beloved product is to fight the illegal propigation of bootlegged copies of Mastercam. If we support illegal software of any kind we are adding to the overall cost of the product. As a Router manufacturer we provide a working post with all our machines for that specific machine for the specific CAD/CAM Package they purchase with the machine. Since Mastercam is not the base of our income and only a Value Added item we can do this. I would fail to believe however that most dealers would not provide some post support to any legit customer. If they did not I would find a new dealer. This does not include super custom posts and new from scratch multi axes posts. I mean basic tweaks of standard posts.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

While I was working for the local reseller, 3 axis "fanuc style" posts were free. Conversational, Mazatrol, Seimans, etc... 4-5 axis were charge items. Even if they were "Library" Posts. Even a "Librabry" post needs tweeks because Jehosaphat likes to see his code this certain way and swears his machine will not run any other way, mean while Allen down the road a ways with the same machine, same config, same control, etc... runs the post just fine and loves it.

Now that I'm on my own Programming and doing Turn-Keys, I charge for them. No charge for the info on what to do though. biggrin.gif Afterall, I am an educator at heart. biggrin.gif

MMITHS

As referenced above, many good post-processors are provided for you as part of the purchase of Mastercam. These posts, for Fanuc, Yasnac, Okuma, etc, typically work pretty well, although they pretty much all have small issues that need to be tweaked a little [except, maybe, the Fanuc posts] but they are very generic and must be tailored to fit your needs / preferences. With a little reading and some specific questions here on the forum you can get pretty much whatever you want by throwing some software switches and adding a # sign here and there.

The most important thing for you, in your new capacity, is to find out who your reseller is [if you don't know; I've been surprised by how many guys I talk to don't] and develop a relationship with them as they are the guys who can help you very quickly when you have questions or run into problems that need to be solved NOW.

C

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...James,I wasn't aware that you were now self-employed.

Congrats and Good Luck!...

Thank you. Many things came together early last month that made is feasable and something worthwhile to pursue. It's something I've always wanted to do anyway.

Mold maker in hot seat,

There is quite a bit of informal post sharing already going on here. I would like to see it more formal. And even with shared posts you still have to do some personalized tweaking. There have been some pretty in depth post questions answered here on the forum also.

Post costs, where to get them etc... I think that the end users have the best posts. I write alot of posts and mostly with very little info to go on. One example of this is the okuma lathe post. There are 4 on the installation cd that can run good code, but ##### M has one that he has tweaked with alot of specific things that you can only know by programming it everyday.

With the new features coming out in X that everyone is going to want in their post it would be a good time to start using an "open source" type post writing amongst ourselves. (I borrowed the term open source) As much as I like writng custom posts, I need to be selling Mastercam instead of writing posts.

I think inhouse has already laid a tremendous amount of groundwork with mpmaster. The users (you guys just need to follow up and take it over.)

quote:

With the new features coming out in X that everyone is going to want in their post it would be a good time to start using an "open source" type post writing amongst ourselves.

Could you please explain "open source" as to how to use it for writing our posts? I've read the term often but don't really understand what it means.

Tim

I thought I borrowed that term from you.

open source really refers to the source code being available, which is prolly not likely gonna happen with mp.

The way we can utilize its theory is by making self contained documented modules that can be pasted into a post with just minor edits to switches or formats.

I think probing would be a good test feature.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...I thought you'd never leave your job. You always spoke so highly of it...

Yeah... I just don't think I'm suited for sticking around one place too long. I don't like to stagnate, and I was feeling like that was happening for a while, also, last year I turned down more work than my salary which I didn't have the numbers for until the end of the year, so it just made sense. Now I can take on even the tough projects, even if there is travel involved and not have to worry about pissing my employer off. Now programming is only a portion of what I do. I interviewed at numerous shops though before making the final determination to go solo. Some generous offers were made too but at the end of the day I was still shimmying at the thought of looking at the same 4 walls for years on end. There was one place though that really appealed to me (that I applied for but recieved no response)... Mastercam is looking for a Post guy. One drawback... I'd have to move my family to Conn... BIG DRWABACK when you have 3 boys that live and breathe Baseball and Football. Can't even entertain the thought of moving there.

quote:

I interviewed at numerous shops though before making the final determination to go solo

Its a good thing you didn't start at my place.

They laided off 17 people Friday. None were

programmers, but things are looking a little bleak

around here.

quote:

Mastercam is looking for a Post guy

I doubt they can afford you tongue.gif