Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How It Works In X

Charles Davis

I don't see the box with the checkmark on it. I found a similar box under the solids menu, solid find features, but that didn't work. I ended up creating surfaces from solids, and that worked fine. I would still like to know how to create edge curves from solid. I can create one edge, and edges on a face without a problem..How about this one..how do you do a parasolid conversion? I use that somewhat frequently and haven't been successfull so far. do you use import/export?

I had a problem merging a file too. It said the file was corrupt when I tried to merge a solid. so many questions, so little time.. smile.gif

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Russell,

The icon you are talking about is the right one, but it won't show up unless you are doing something (i.e creating curves) AND have a solid on the screen that you can actually select.

So (providing nothing is wrong with your system) go to Create, Curve, All Edges. At that point the system is waiting for you to select surfaces. You should have the All and Only buttons, the Activate Solid Selection button (blue box with the checkmark) and the round green Accept button. You should be able to press the solid select button, which activates the face/solid buttons. Just keep in the button with all faces of the box coloured red, which means to select the entire solid.

Let me know how you get on.

The other things you mentioned....

Paraolid Conversion:

You can just do that from File, Open. Go to "files of type" and you can find SolidWorks and Parasolids files in the list. When you select one of those, you will have an "Options" button appear. There you can set the scale, or choose whether to import as surfaces or solids, like in V9.

Arc centre points - on/off:

Go to Screen/configuration/CAD settings. It's a switch near the bottom left corner.

El Scotthead,

There are a couple of ways, but this is what I do:

Press "All" from the General selection ribbon bar. Then press the All Entites button near the top of the window. That highlights all of your visible geometry and closes the window.

Now right-click you mouse over the word "Level" in the status bar at the bottom of the screen. You are then given a Levels dialog, and you can type in the level you want (or Select it from a list, if you are going to a level that already has geometry on it).

I'm usually quite slow, esp on a Friday cheers.gif

Rich,

my mind's not really here today--just bought a house and are moving this weekend, plus still cleaning up the old place from the tornado on Wed. morning...so I'm pretty slow today too. tongue.gif

The method you and John laid out is sweet. I looked in the v9 to X commands pdf and it says to use the Analyze Entity Properties dialog box to change entity levels. That's were I was going wrong.

Charles...great thread, man. cheers.gif

Everyone else...thanks for staying on top of it and giving quick responses. cheers.gif

You guys are sure making the X transition easier smile.gif

PERFECT!! Thanks Rich. And thanks Scott, (even if you were late). As for the parasolid conversion...I was trying to convert the solid out of X. Here's what I would have done in 9. Create my solid, once completed, I would create a parasolid, which would strip out any of the geo used to create the solid. I would then read it in via the parasolid converter..make sense, or am I whacked?!!

How do I headscratch.gif

Stay alive in My toolpath creation headscratch.gif

i.e. In 9 I could pick contour

Then when I went to Chain I could

Hit F8 etc. and "step out" of the contour dialogue

create a line then step back into contour and chain it.

In X I can get out to create the line but once

I accept the line My contour box closes out...

Please Don't tell me I can no longer create Geo on the fly while in Toolpaths confused.gif

The problem I am having with X is a little different than most. In version 9 when machining with a solid, I could machine any quality of solid without any problem. The situation is this: I am working with a parasolid conversion. For some reason the person who made the solid left some sharp corners in the model. When making a surface toolpath, I could ignore the sharp corner. I would get an error but could just click through the prompt and be on my way. In version X I get the error with the same part then it says it can't make the tool path. I made sure in the tool path that I unchecked the "check for sharp corners" and still it wouldn't create the toolpath.

I realize this is the initial release, and maybe this is one of those things that will be fixed on a service pack update. With the amount of time this thing was in beta stage, I am surprised this issue hasn't been fixed. curse.gifcurse.gifcurse.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gifmad.gif

How to trim via Cplanes. You were able to trim a line that didn't intersect with another by changing to a construction plane in which it looked as if two lines/arcs were intersecting. You can do this in version 9 but I cannot get it to work in X. Anyone have any suggestion on how this works in X?

We have several vertical machines with a different max rpm, and a couple that require different tapping cyles amongst other things. If I understand correctly, this should be handled with the control file, however, the only place I have found where I can change the rpm is in the machine definition manager, r.click spindle and change the rpm. I would have to make a new machine definition for each machine that had a different rpm. Right?..I don't even know where I would look to change my tapping cyle code from say a G84 to a G84.1 Is that still done via editing the post with a text editor?