Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

DAMN X BUGS!!!!

TKDBB

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I put "test_point_level.mac" on the ftp under mcx. You guys can download it and play it back by settings-macro manager. It will chg points to new level.

Pete

I have been experimenting with the macros as a tech tool. one prob is when selecting all ents it does not go thru to mac.any future plans to revamp macros? Also maybe make them man readable?

Prolly was to fast when I hit the unselect button. I have had problems with surfaces staying "grouped" and/or untrimming after a few transforms. (Most of which I'm still chalking up to something I'm doin wrong.)

How'd the mac play back? Was it useful? REason I ask is cause I think I could use it for some support issues along with camtasia. The difference camtasia can show you how, macro will give you the results. If I could add pauses and input to macros I could do some really cool stuff.

quote:

I'd be most interested in your opinion of UG.

I've had a saleman bending my ear

Gcode,

I have UG NX3.0. I prefer MasterCAM over UG for several reasons:

1) UG is not "user-friendly"

2) Dialog boxes are buried.

3) Type of tool path are limited

4) Cost--once you buy the "main" pasckage, the are two or three add-ons the you MUST have to generate tool paths. Price is in excess of $85,000.00 cuckoo.gif

Good point--if you make a "family" of parts, then use can use "expression" to update changes or go from one part to the next. I did the Reebox DMX this way. I change ONE expression and update. Then to clean up the small stuff that were not affected by the expression took up to 30 minutes. I was able to design and machine seven complete molds using this procedure in the time that it took to do two . cool.gif

HTH

RandleXX shows his true colors, only here to frustrate people not share information and assist........maybe it's time for him to say goodby.

UG. We recieved a gift from UG to the University. Lots of press and I presume many tax breaks. So far we in mechanical eng. have not been able to use UG for a number of reasons. Licenses not available even though they were supposed to be there, lack of training and some "hard copy" reference material to learn iin "off hours". Cause the software is on the server and also the documentaion. no way to set it up and learn at home. Seems like a complicated design and manufacturing package for entry level students to learn on their own..... we don't have instructional class for any of our design software but have Solidworks, Solidedge, ProE, Autocadd/Autodesk products, and UG for the shortlist. I think UG might shine in its declaired area "PLM - Product Lifetime Management" but not sure it is the best choice for day to day design and manufacturing that supports ever changing part families. Just my opinion, which could change with appropiate training and information....don't see that happening so I stand by my opinion.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

The reason Machine Tool Builder AE's (MTBAE's)prefer UG is because they are getting the software for free, the training for free, the support for free and finally they don't actually have to make parts for a living day in and day out. Oh, and one more thing, they get to put "UG Geek" on their resume. biggrin.gif

Don't always put a lot of stock in what some MTBAE's say. They have their biases just like the rest of us. Generally speaking though MTBAE's are well informed and sometimes actually take the time to do comparisons between X, Y and Z so they can give an informed opinion. I knew several among the AE's I knew that did that.

Interesting thread,

I am no master software writer but I do know that the more features that are in a program the more chance there is for things to go wrong!

Generally when I find a problem (Bug) I post a work around for the issue.

As for recomending a product, It is a little like a scientific report: You need to know where the funding comes from first!

Larry CAST is a good starting point

I never did understand why Mastercam did not have a Family of parts process. SmartCam had a great system back in the early 90's. I had about a dozen lath paths setup and all my programs came out looking exactly alike and programmed in minutes.

If i had a system like that now I could let the operator program parts.

A=OD B=ID C=Stock OD D=Stock ID E= Cornor rad OD F= Corner rad ID,,,, Post Hmmm,,, Where is my old Smartcam???

Oh consider this thread Jacked

Seems to me other than a few small issues, which one should expect with new software, the biggest thing wrong with McamX is the people trying to use it. I myself have had some problems with X, but I am chocking it up to my on inexperience with it. X has only been out for a little while now and by no means has there been enough time for anyone to have enough seat time to make some of the broad comments about X being bad enough to "go smartcam". If ya dont like it then dont use it. Go buy something else. Or at a minimum dont come in here and be a jackass. We dont want to here it. I dont say a whole lot in here, you want to know why, cause I'm to busy reading. I'm learning from the issues everyone else has. I using the one tool the people in here have been so generous to provide. INFORMATION!!!! I for one hope they keep providing it in lieu of people like the one that started this thread.

THANKS to all you guys for the information that you do provide. I have learned a great deal from just reading more so than I could have from "RUNNING MY MOUTH".

quote:

It seems to me people like TKDBB ,RandleXX and DragonZ only come here to try an illicit a reply such as he got. Maybe they are all related. Or go to the same group therapy sessions.

I believe in other forums they call these guys "trolls" 'cause they just post so they can stir up s**t. If you ignore their posts they usually settle down and/or go away. The more fuel you add to the fire the more it burns.