Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

The level Manager is making me woosey!

The level manager is one on my big grips with X

I like to have empty rows in my level manager

and you can't do that with X.

I use a empty rows to organize stuff into blocks

on the Level Manager.

In X you have to name and number levels

to make them show up. That negatates the origanizational effect of empty lines. A minor gripe, but I'm getting used to it.

also

I was working on an old V9 file that used 150 differnt levels.

Scroll to the bottom, make 150 the main level

and then hit all off leaving 150 as the only level turned on.

Now scroll all the way to the top and turn on #1

#1 won't come on. The LM will jump all the way back to the bottom and a level on the same page as 150 will come on.

I turned in a bug report on this, but havn't heard back yet.

gcode:

I put blank levels.csv on the ftp in unspecified_uploads. Download it and put it in the mcamx folder.

After opening X got to the level manager, right click in the levels area, pick get named levels, and select blank levels.csv. It will load the first 2000 levels into you level manager. Each level will be named "_". If you want to change it use excel to edit the csv file.

HTH

I created a .csv file to load the first 1,000 levels.

I can pull it into my file by right clicking in the levels manager > Get named levels.

Is there a way to make this file default into my levels manager so I don't have to open it in every file manually?

[ 10-07-2005, 09:16 AM: Message edited by: jmparis ]

quote:

We can't show All of the levels like we did in V-9 because it would probably take hours, if not days to open almost 2 billion levels in the level manager

Why not leave 2 billion levels available and

have a switch in System Config that controlls the number that are active. That way you could still

have the Show All command.

A simpler solution would be to provide a way to load a default CSV file like Marc made.

I guess my bug report on the Level Manager is still in the stack. Glad to hear its fixed.

quote:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------

We can't show All of the levels like we did in V-9 because it would probably take hours, if not days to open almost 2 billion levels in the level manager

--------------------------------------------------

Why not leave 2 billion levels available

Having 2 billion levels available is way overkill methinks. I'm all for progress and am real happy to have more than 255, but an upper limit of several thousand and an option to display them all seems much more sensible to me than having way more than anyone could possibly use and reducing functionality because of it.

For anyone who wants to have it. I placed a file on the FTP in the unspecified folder called

jmparis_levels.csv

It names 1,000 levels "."

so they are active.

It looks similiar to the V9 levels manager.

It does not change the color scheme.

You do need to bring it into each file manually though, so be aware of that.

If you want it and can't get on the FTP email me and I'll get it to you.

The file blank levels.csv is in the folder I mentioned.

One reason you might not want to load to many levels is it increases the file size. Just adding the 2000 levels from my file will add about 500k to the file size. I havent tested the 2 billion levels but I think it might add a bit more to the size.

quote:

Having 2 billion levels available is way overkill methinks. I'm all for progress and am real happy to have more than 255, but an upper limit of several thousand and an option to display them all seems much more sensible to me than having way more than anyone could possibly use and reducing functionality because of it.

+100!

quote:

Come on guys what's the most levels anyone here has EVER used??

Our dies (not designed in MC) are designed with a detail per level. Det 1 is on level 1, and so on. That way, if I have to make Det 37, I turn all levels off but 37. There's my part. I then save it out to it's own folder for toolpathing.

We've made dies with over 600 details.

+1 to Zero's +100. biggrin.gif

Thad

quote:

We've made dies with over 600 details.

I agree that 256 levels is not enough, but 2 billion is way way overkill. Nobody will ever live long enough to use 2 billion levels and if you did, your computer would take another lifetime just to open the file eek.gif

I think the user should be able to set max # of levels and then we could have "Show All Levels"

back

For fun I was trying some *.csv files a while a go and if my memory serves me right a file with 10000 named levels and no geometry was like 20 mb, at this rate to have 2 billion named levels the file wouldn't even fit on you harddrive.I think I tried to load a *.csv file with 50000 named levels and it wouldn't even work.

I do like having the option of numbers up to 2 billion for reasons like Roger says.

For the most part my files will only have 100 to 150 levels.