Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Haas 50taper trouble

Aaron AKA. Zippy

Power source, or Driver issue? It seems like if they are dying so quickly it isn't the spindle it would be something else. Are they just replacing the Motor or the entire spindle each time? Is the spindle cooling working? Plugged line etc.

We don't have a 50taper here but our HAAS machines have been the Standard for reliability.

Good Luck

TG

quote:

Is it the same tech replacing it each time? Maybe he's doing something wrong.

Yeah he is. He's not replacing the machine with something better.

The HAAS tech should come and replace the problem with a brand new better make and model.

Sadly, it likely wouldn't be American made.

That's ridiculous! Totally unacceptable both in the number of spindles and the service approach.

Ben Frankin once said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. After that second spindle went Monktons should have called in someone from the factory to do an intensive evaluation. Haas makes a lot of spindles. The probability that 4 separate units would die with less than 80 hours average run time is near zero (unless they were all produced from the same lot and without a functioning quality control system). Four spindles to the same customer in such a short time should throw up a big red quality flag at Haas.

Don't let the guy swap the spindle, put all the sheet metal back and then split. Don't let that guy go anywhere. Leave the sheet metal off and run the hell out of it. Listen to the thing, check it's temperature. Whatever is causing a spindle to die in less than 10 hours should be pretty severe.

If you are still getting the run around do some research on Colorado's lemon laws, it could be time to get out the big stick. If they can't see it your way then their next service ought to be prepping the machine for transport.

We had 3 spindles in a 40 taper haas in about 3 months. they took the machine back, and last I heard the new owner is on his 2nd spindle already (yes they re-sold a LEMON to another poor guy!). 3+2=5 spindles. when we had it it was treated very well, never crashed or overloaded. ahhhh haas. tell them if they want to put ANOTHER spindle in it, take it away and do it in their facility. Then give you a new machine and be done with it. you've probably lost enough time already.

YES we had the same problem with our spindle we went through 4 also most of the problem was with haas they sent a damaged spindle and they put another in, and it went out withing 12hrs. When all the smoke finally cleared, we ended up having a total of 5 spindles.

We have a VF5 50 taper.

Don't let them give you the run around they ended up paying for the whole thing.

thanks Jeff

I agree with LT... I'd be standing on top of the guys from Monkton. Doubt Haas is giving you the run around, it's Monkton. With barely over 300hrs and 4 spindles, they'd be picking up the pieces from the front door....

Went through the same thing with them on a Makino A55. 1/2 dozen spindles in 14 months... until factory came out...

cheers.gifcheers.gif

Been there done that on some SS machines. The problem I was seeing was the thru the spindle hole in the shaft not being done rigth. Thus the shafts were weak and out of balance. I got the same run around for 5 months and 7 motors on 2 machines. That is all they are replacing is motors not spindles. Hire a lawyer they are liable for lost production after the 2nd time.

HTH

Your spindle too? Hmm, maybe I need to remove my assumption of a functioning qualtity control system. Psycho, 6 spindles in a Makino?

Warning:

The surgeon general has determined that blown spindles have been determined to cause aneurysms.

All this trouble with spindles kind of baffles me. How long has industry been building these things? For standard speed range spindles one would think the engineering would have be pretty well mastered at least a couple decades ago. It all comes down to costs I suppose.

In defence of Monktons they've already had a factory guy there for a few days. James, good idea on the upgrade spindle. When our time comes I will be I pushing for one of those.

Note to myself:

"Not to let in a hass sales guy..."

That's a lot of bull... kind of quality control and customer service imho.

Don't want to rub it in more but when we got our 50taper mori the spindle developed some kind of noise after a month or so. Mori sent in a brand new just in case, and it's been sitting here on a shelf ever since. Seven years later and the original spindle is still going strong.

cheers.gif

quote:

Psycho, 6 spindles in a Makino?

Yep... Every machine builders puts out a "lemon" now and then... including the "World Class" builders. Just some builders put out more than others... wink.gif

The Makino thing was interesting. I believed the machine just simply didn't like spindles. Went through all kinds of stuff with Monktons. When the factory came out though, he noticed a few "odd things" about the previous installs. I'll leave it at that.

IMO though, if factory has been out and you're still having problems, then they should be replacing the machine period. Or, they can just cart the damn thing away, refund the money spent, and move on to a different builder. Then, they (Haas and Monktons) can hope that you don't go after lost revenue as well....

Had a Haas with a 40 cat spindle about 10 years ago. Three spindles in less than 6 months. Traded it in for a Mazak/Mori/Okuma.

On the other hand I have had to be that service guy replacing spindle bearings multiple times for one customer (not a Haas). Three spindles before the operator showed me how they were rapiding the Z-axis down to press bearings into a part they machined! Then we charged him for all three service calls and parts.