Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Operating System

Bullines

I use NT4.0 service pack 6a,I feel nt is a lousy opsys,I have never experienced as many problems as we have.Our whole network is NT we have plans for 2000 pro,Both my computers here have acceleratd g-cards,and alot of ram,I feel this even makes nt worse.It dosent support this.

I've had some crashes with WIN 2000 Pro with large solid files (18 to 25 Meg) program stops responding and also get a parasolid kernal error quite often. It shows up when MC closes on my desktop sometimes it takes 4 to 8 clicks on the OK button to clear. The error reads as follows:

Error creating list

Parasolid® kernel Interface Error

K1 Error code 931-STAMOD must be first call to K1

I am running MC level 3 Ver 8.1.1 on win2000 Pro

also have Solidworks 2001 and donot get any errors even with the same files exported from MC into Solidworks.

Any Ideas ???

thanks

Hi Eric,

Do you get message when you import your solidworks files?

I imported the same size files from solidworks 2001 SP14 to Mastercam without that message.

Only I got untrimmed surface message but not a critical error.

However I most often import my solidworks files as surfaces not solid in V8.11 because of better control in drive/check surface.But this changes in V9 and hope I'll import them as solid in V9.

I think Win2K pro is the best especially when it comes to old systems and old graphics card even better than XP Pro.I worked in MC ans SW with an old system 450III S3 Savage4 (ouch) 256MB without errors, except that it was slow.

[ 02-26-2002, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: kwolf ]

I think you got that question wrong,the reason people use win 9x is because:

a) they dont know any better

B) the box came with it installed

c) they dont have the ability to change it

d) they have software that wont run in NT and dont know about XP.

Now XP has been launched there is absolutely NO good reason for using win 9X products, after 7 years of trying to impress us with how great they were, Microsoft have finally admitted that win 9x never worked and junked the entire kernel in favour for the NT4 kernel which practically worked straight out of the box, and has remained practically unchanged throughout 2000 and XP

Actually I find it quite heartening that less than the percentage of win9x users is as low as it is, but thats more than likely down to this forum and probably means your results are going to be extreamly scewed.

As a matter of fact it was on the release of MCAM 8 that I found a pretty fundamental bug in the 2D contour lead in/outs that apparantly was only evident in NT4. I was told that it was not found earlier because most of the beta testers used Win 9X, so either things have changed a lot in the last 18 months or your results are extreamly scewed.

I use it on 2 systems, my home computer is XP and it works good so far, but my work horse system is 98 second edition and mastercam always awsome 99 percent of the time. Solid modeling will tax my system a bit but it is a PII 266 with 300sdram and a 4 gig hard drive so some unexpectid shut downs do occur

quote:

Actually I find it quite heartening that less than the percentage of win9x users is as low as it is, but thats more than likely down to this forum and probably means your results are going to be extreamly scewed.

I had an ulterior motive in posing this question. There are many times that threads are started concerning performance, video problems, crashing etc... Most of the time, the folks starting these types of threads are running a Windows 9x/ME OS. I knew that the majority of people who are educated about OS choice are at least running Windows 2000 because they are aware of the benefits of the NT kernel. They may not know the nitty gritty as to why it's better, but at least they know that the 9x kernel is not best for business use (no more Chevette reference, folks, I promise...for now wink.gif ). Therefore, those people running a 9x OS who may happen to read this thread would hopefully think "Wow, most people here use Win2k. Maybe I should too. There must be a good reason". Sneaky, I know rolleyes.gif

kwolf:

I got this parasolid error even with geometry generated inside of MasterCam. Before I even had Solidworks. I dont like it... It does not seem to hurt anything other than slowing down save & exits but I can not tell if this error is also causing the freeze ups. If i work on a file that only has lines/arcs/surfaces/ect. (no solids) it does not come up with the error I stated above nor does it freeze up.

?????????

I've been running Win2K for about a year now.

The other day I was over a a friend's shop (Win98) and he was cursing at a Blue Screen of Death. For a second it caught me off guard.

It had been so long since I've seen a BSofD

that I'd forgotten what it was. smile.gif

My current job is running NT4.0 and I haven't had any trouble with it. I've got XP Home on my wife's machine, but I can't see any reason at all

to switch my Mastercam box to XP.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I just voted, I forgot to reply.

I'm unashamedly(sp?) using Win2k Pro. I'll probably continue to use it until there's someting I can't live without in XP. Which will probably take a year or so. In the mean time, I'll be reading up on XP so I'll be prepared when I migrate.

The kids computer is running Windows 98 SE. It plays games better than 2k Pro. I probably won't do anything with it until 98 is essentially dead. It's unstable as heck, could it be that S3 card in it? Hmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!! Soon I'm going to bump up to the Matrox G550 then the G450 will reside in the kiddies box.

Bullines, do you have a technical paper on the merits of say Windows 2000 vs Win9x? If so could you e-mail it to me? I've been looking for one for a friend. He's "not sold on the hype of Win2k or XP". Beats me why he wants a technical paper, stability alone would drive me away from Win9x.

Out!

NT 4. We lease our Dell PCs on 2 year deal IIRC. We will be upgraded with new PCs and Win 2000 Pro in October. I will be very happy when we do because my box is 500 mhz / 128k ram / 6g hard drive. A little out of date, wouldn't you say? I do have good video, I don't know what card or memory, but the 21" monitor is nice.

--

Buzz

Win 98 SE for me. It's been the most stable box in our shop. It's more important than speed since I'm also the source system for all math data going out to the shop floor ( 5 MC mill seats). I'm also the gateway for our network to the Internet. In my 11 years on MC, stability is the most important factor. Our other design system is Cadkey on a NT box, and he has at least a crash a day, loosing entire files sometimes. I found that kernel errors can be avioded by simply rebooting once a day. I also find that there are many programs that I use that aren't available for NT or 2000.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

propeller-head persuasion

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

That would be me! Bullines, you can get as technical as you want, just don't stick your finger in your propeller over it. wink.gif

My kid's Win 98 Box has 768 or 1GB RAM - can't remember it's been a while since I cracked open the box. The only reason it has that much is because it is my old server and was a Dually (Dual CPU's for our technically challenged friends in here). Win 98 only uses 256MB of it though, and unfortunately me Dell can only accept up to 512MB RAM or else I'd have a GB in in too.

The reason I like so much RAM is because I often have many applications running and working at once. They are not all CPU(read computationally) intensive like Mastercam but they all use a fair amount of RAM when running simultaneously.

JM2C