Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

OT: Endmills smaller than .001 !?!?!

Psychomill

I am programming a part to go in the machine tomorrow that needs a .01 dia ball nose to do some of the finish detail. I had to go to the test lab and use the microscope to check if the endmill was good.

I can't even imagine trying to run a .0004 dia end mill. How do you get the runout out of it? .0002 of runout on a .0004 em sounds like an "endmill killer" to me.

Hadn't heard that story about the drills eh Mark (Where Roberts story is adapted from)....

So, let's see.... They claim to be able to make an endmill with .0002 cutting diameter. Considering that many tool holders spec out at .0004 @ say 4.0" from the nose... If you used an extension in one... HMMMM headscratch.gif

I guess you'd be cutting the part with an "ice cream scoop" effect... or kinda like hogging out a pocket with a treepan...

cheers.gif

quote:

Now engineers are going to start requesting .0005 rads in every corner.

You think you could spin one of those down for me so it'll have .400(10.16mm for you metric guys biggrin.gif )

clearance

No Mark.... I came across it on another forum. Thought it was interesting enough to see if anyone here dealt with these....

My guess, you'd have to at least run a 100,000rpm air spindle,... which BTW only works out to about 5 SFPM (Ø.0002 endmill) eek.gif Then, if you figure on many tools have a FPT ratio of about 1-2% of cutting diameter... gives you a feed of .2-.4 IPM... rolleyes.gif

I sure hope that slot isn't too long... wink.gif

So, let's see....

1000SFPM for aluminum = 19,085,000 rpm (give or take)

I'm picturing my 50 taper machines spinning that right now.... NOT!!

quote:

I need one with a .0001 corner radius.

That would make it a Ball endmill.... biggrin.gif

cheers.gifcheers.gif

Tools this size are in the domain of the wierd. Suppose you had a waterjet pump for your through spindle coolant. It would only require the lightest of touches to keep it in the holder.

60,000 psi on .001" diam endmill = .047 lbs.

I guessed the force was small, but not that small. Even a 1000 psi system would only put 12 lbs of push on the 1/8" shank. It seems like it should be more than that, but it ain't.

I've used drills in alum. down to .016, and the results were pitiful.

We only had 12000 RPM - about 50 sfm, and they loaded, broke, ran out (whipped from 12000 rpm centrifigal force and side coolant pressure), tool holders were tough to balance, etc....

Oh, and don't use an air hose to blow chips off the drill!! eek.gif

I could not imagine trying to side cut with something under .015. The shop I am at now is mainly running 800mm horizontals, 50 taper. Lotsa balls, but not much finesse.