Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Do we need multiple forums?

Webby

A quick poll here.

Do we need to break the existing Forum out into multiple forums? Some potential forum examples: mill, lathe, wire, posts, hardware, C-Hooks, education, solids, levels, functionality requests, bug reports.

This would help to sort the messages under clear functional groups, but may make it more difficult to keep up to date on everything that goes on here.

Please voice your opinions by responding to this thread. Yes or no, and if yes, how would you break things up?

Hi,

I think actual is one forum OK. When you split up the forum in many pices it takes more time to check all forums. Perhaps it is better to extend the topic line and the view methode.

When you put in the Topic the Function: This is a Topic for: 1) Design 2) Mill 3)...

it shows for that it is. Now you can insert the view for topics:

example: show all new topics from the last 5 days who are mark for Mill.

And if you want to see all you can select : show all topics.

Good idea?

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Web'ster -

I think if you have more than a couple of forums, it gets to be too difficult to keep an eye on things.

I think if you broke it up into product category that would be ok. Ex. Lathe Issues, Mill Issues, Wire Issues, and Design Issues. This hepl get people the most relavent info to their question/s.

James Meyette

Applications Engineer

CAD/CAM Consulting Services Inc.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Web-ster,

How possible would it be to have all the topics on one page instead of having to go through the older pages? We're up to 3 pages now.

James Meyette

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Web-ster,

Sure, try it out. I'm on a dial-up connection (which I'm sure most people are too) and I usually connect @ 49.3 - 53.3. The I 'll see how long it takes me to download it. If it takes too long, I'm sure I won't be the only one that has anything to say.

James Meyette

Webmaster,

I think the one forum is good, with the idea of a "drop down topic cell" that the respondent selects when replying.(must select before uploading). This might involve some reassignment on your part if the responses are posted in the wrong topic area.

Perhaps when you set up your preferences you could select the topics you want, mill/ lathe/solids, etc., and/or multiple topics and how many days?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Bruce Gibson (edited 10-17-2000).]

Although the UBB product we are using for the forum is configurable, I can't change the drop down topic menu to list by days and topic categories.

I do appreciate the input though. I have some ideas brewing that should satisfy the suggestions you have brought forward, and work within the structure of the UBB engine.

I've added 'Message Icons' to help address some of the suggestions here.

I'll post a reminder about Message Icons up in the Announcements area - where you see "Why Register?" now - shortly.

I've experimented with 'unlimited topics per forum' and 'unlimited posts per topic page', and we will stick with 40 each. Download times were long. There is a new feature to allow you to jump to any page of a thread. You can see this under the "Please post here if you are new to the Forum" topic.

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 10-17-2000).]

The last modifications you have made to the forum seem pretty good. The icons need to be bigger and even a "pop up" message when your cursor slides over them so you know their meaning would be nice. All in all, the forum works great. It is really nice for me because I can see that the same questions being asked to me on a daily basis in my territory are being asked all around the world. I have posted a link to the forum on my site for my customers. I think it will save me some tech calls.

A last note, TOOLDEV made a good point--if you split the forum, some people will not know exactly where to look for their answers, which would mean that they will be scrolling thru every topic anyway. Leave it the way you have it now.

------------------

Trevor Bailey

[email protected]

(Southern California Dealer - San Diego)

• 20 years later...
6 hours ago, Newbeeee™ said:

I gotz me an eyedear though - how about an Off Topic?

Will it catch on?

No way. The guys will just end up fighting over politics and before you know it, they'll have to shut the whole OT section down. It'll never work!

• Haha 1