Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

304 Stainless Rough and finish Tools

Smit

I've been asked to research roughing tools for high volume metal removal for a whole bunch of 304 stainless parts we're getting prepared to machine.

We are going to rough the parts out leaving .100 of material everywhere, then send them out for grinding, and bring them back for finishing.

I've used Mitsubishi feed mills with good results, but I've also heard Hanita Varimills are excellent tools for 304 stainless.

Any recommendations for other tools that will get the material out fast and last a long time?

We're planning to rough the parts on a 50 taper Deckel Maho w/ 50 HP and finish them on a 40 taper Matsuura w/ 30 HP.

TIA! cheers.gif

• 10 months later...

We have recently tested several endmills for roughing various types of stainless. The two best that we found were the Hanita Varimill and the Niagra Stabelizer. Both outperformed and outlasted any type of carbide roughing endmill we tried. For us the Niagra Stabelizer was the best deal because they were just as good as the Varimill but cost less. We have however had to wait to get them because they were on back order. We have also had good succes with PCT Cobalt roughing endmills. They last forever but the feed and speed is much slower. I'm not sure of the coating on the PCT but I can find out on Monday. The one thing I do like about them is that they help the job run hassel free because the rougher doesn't break and we don't need to change them often.

The Mitsu AJX cutters are great for roughing and the Hanita Vari-Mills to clean up behind. The problem with the Hanita's as noted can be getting them at times.

I have heard much good about the Z_Carbs, just have not had the chance to try them

I prefer the Hanita Varimills for roughing but they're lacking as a finishing end mill. We usually get our Hanitas in the next day here. Has anyone tried the Varimill II yet? I've got some 1/4" end mills in for testing but haven't used them yet. The ramping went down from five to three degrees but that won't hurt me any.

Varimill all the way. 304 might be a little too tough for feed mills me thinks headscratch.gif

If you have problems with varimill performance in tough ss then run it dry. It helps if you got a hmc, as the chip evacuation could be a problem, because chips a heavy and plentiful so air alone might not move them away fast enough wink.gif

Also for finishing they have new 5 flute varimills...

quote:

I'll only get those lines if finish at final depth isn't on. You?

For 304/316 I always use a finishing end mill and yes its on "final" depth.

The Varimill IIs I have are five flute and I'm spose to be able to take a full dia DOC with them. I'll be trying to finish with them also.

according to the brochures for 304 1/4" em;

Varimill -- sfm 230-280 fpt .0007

Varimill II -- sfm 295-370 fpt .0012

That's a nice jump.

There are many little cutter companies out there that provide a cutter that will compete very well with the big guys.

I buy half inch 4 flute variable helix endmills Tialn coated for $34 apiece in quantitys of 20 or so from Carbide Connection. They will ship overnight. they will out cut a Varimill and a Z Carb and last longer doing it. I cut 316 at 200sfm and .004 per tooth. .500 doc and .100 radial.

I just finished doing a thousand 4340 parts where I removed .200 from th perifery on each side, .325deep at 7700 rpm and 110 ipm. Cutters were being changed out at a hundred part intervals. I look all the time for better cutters. I have never seen anything that will out cut them.

We use the Varimill's on sst, and they perform well. We used them in titanium as well, and they performed ok. I just tried a cutter called whisper cut. I think its made by Duramill. Now thos e.m. lasted 3 times longer than the Veramill in titanium. I havn't tried them in sst yet, but I think they would do very well.

Iscar just came out with a "Chatter Free" Mill. It was designed to compete against the varimill. I tested them here and have had great results. We were running in 718 Inconel at 250 SFM on a 3/4 " end mill. The good thing about this was we were able to take full cuts for slotting. (2-1/8" deep) I didnt believe the rep when he told me so I made him bring in a bunch of test tools. Pretty amazing. Now I do not know the details for regrinds, but my tool life was great.

Hope this helps

cool.gif

• 1 month later...

Sorry for taking so long to get back at this. But Yes.... that would be correct. Now that I have ran the part several times with this mill. the tool works great, the tool life lacks a little but at those speeds who cares. THe BAD part is I have sent it to 4 different grind shops to have it reground and NO ONE can regrind it... The mills are getting pretty expensive with out a regrind... But I guess it comes down to time versus tool cost..

I just read this thread for the first time and I saw no mention of YG V-7 endmills. That's what we use with pretty good results. I don't know how they stack up against the others mentioned but I had good luck with 'em. 300-400 SFM .003 FPT. Very good tool life. JM2C