Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Benchmark

Roger Peterson

What about Dust and Dirt??? I have to Vacuum my Desk Top every now and then because it really bugs me.

I have seen the DirtBags online but am hesitant because in the back of my mind it seems that it would cause Overheating, plus the USB Ports would be covered.

So what do you do about Dust and Dirt?? ?action=view&current=bcpuzphp.png

Well, may of us here can plead guilty to everything CAD/CAM related. It isn't a BAD Thing, just how we like to spend our time. Nothing wrong with it IMPO. wink.gif

We get to Build and Create really cool stuff while expanding the mind. Weather it be PC's or Machined Parts, our jobs aren't the same everyday. biggrin.gif

Speaking of laptops- I am having one built like this:

Clevo D901C chassis

17.1" WUXGA screen

Xeon 3370 quad processor 3ghz

4g Kingston Hyper-X ram

80Gb Intel X25M SSD Drive primary

500 Gb Hitachi drive secondary

Quadro FX 1600m graphics card (single)

Dual-boot Vista64 and XP64

Two weeks to deliver.

As for OC'ing- it is possible on this one, but I am going to leave it alone....

With the Xeon CPU and what is currently the fastest SSD drive I could find, it should be pretty close any desktop system in speed for our antiquated Mcam software. If only we could utilize multi-cores, and SLI graphics!

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...$3500...

rolleyes.gif ..... CHUMP Change!!! biggrin.giftongue.gif

That's more then the price of most of the systems here... eek.gif

I like the Power Consumption spec...

quote:

Maximum Power Consumption - 189W

eek.gif

and it is not likely to help Mastercam stuff one iota.

Unless you're displaying complete assemblies of a car, plane or complete DNA chains, it is money wasted.

firebounce.gif

quote:

Maximum Power Consumption - 189W

I can hear it now. "I have a Dell 2400, why won't Mastercam run this card, MCAM s*cks"

and "oh yeah I only have a 450 watt power supply, it s*ucks that Mastercam needs so much power to run"

Boy can hear it already wink.gif

I'm going to build a box and thanks to the great info on here I,ve got a very good start on picking out my components. Here is what I'm looking at so far:

MoBo: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P

Ram: G-Skill 8GB (2X4GB kit) DDR2 PC8500

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz 12MB L2 Cache

Power Supply: Cooler Master UCP RS900

Cooling Fan for Processor: Artic Cooling Freezer7 Pro CPU Coooler

Case: Antec Twelve Hundred

HD: WD VelosiRaptor WD3000GLFS 10,000 Rpm. 300GB

I have a question about the Video card or cards. I have a Quadro FX 3500 now that I could put in the new system, or should I put two new cards like the GeForce 8800GTS 512MB, GeForce GTX 260 896MB in SLI which would work better?

Thank You,Rick

Just use the FX3500 unless it develops a problem. That Quadro FX5800 is just too much. Too much power which will turn into too much heat, and too much RAM.

The OS usually matches it's RAM with the video cards RAM so you lose 4GB of RAM for your OS and apps. just plugging it in. This is why you never see full 4GB RAM in a 32 bit OS machine. The OS has matched the 512MB or 896MB on the video card leaving 3.5 or 3.2GB.

The new home built for just under $1000 = 4min 15sec

Intel E8400 3.0 GHz 6Mb L2 cache

Asus P5Q-Pro motherboard

4 Gb DDR2-800

EVGA e-Geforce 9800 GTX (512 Mb)

Seagate 250 Mb 7200 RPM

Tuniq 120 cpu cooler

Overclocked to 3.6 GHz Bus speed 405/FSB 1620 - 34C under load.

I would spend the extra $200 for the Q9650 chip. It runs significantly cooler and overclocks significantly better. Best I could do with the Q9550 was 4:25 on benchmark test, and it was running hot. With the Q9650 dropped to 3:40 no sweat and idles in low 30's C and mastercam runs in the low to mid 40's. I'm running 2 gigs DDR3 ram with XP Pro, SP3. The overclockers seem to be saying there's a 5-10% hit with Vista and most guys seems to say that XP64 doesn't help much either, at least as regards speed. Cheers.

Thanks for the info guys,I'll install the FX3500 in the new system and I did order the Q9650 chip instead of the Q9550. Even though winter is coming fast and I could use a little extra heat under the desk! I guess I'll have to keep the little space heater under there now.

Thank You, Rick