Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

WCS

mikechvz

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike,

Basically the WCS allow you to bring your zero to where you want it on the part, not the part to the origin.

This allows easy manipulation of the part with out needing to have copied on different levels being able to program in one position without worrying about messing up operations already complete becuase you "moved" the model.

It just simply put makes you life easier, especially if you are working with solids or 3D wireframe

The biggest advantage is on parts with multiple setups...multiple programs.

Define a WCS for each setup and the part stays put instead copying and moving the part around to origin for each program.

Yeah, tons of advantages that go along with having ONE part in your file instead of many.

Another advantage is if you get models from customers out in space, you never have to move them. Create the WCS and get to cutting. Then rev changes etc. become much easier to deal with.

It also allows you to verify all of your ops at one time. You can tell if you are breaking thru in areas your supposed to, and areas where your not supposed to. I haven't machined thru something that I wasn't supposed to since I started using the wcs. It also makes your part file smaller because your not having to copy your main geometry to dif levels.

Mike,

You are on the right track. Think of WCS as orienting your Spindle to the part. So you start with a block in the Top wcs. That is how it is sitting in your machine. With, call it "side A" in top view. You cut a pocket. Now (at the machine) you are going to take the block and rotate it toward the solid jaw so that the Front face "side B" is facing up towards the spindle.

To machine the front face of the part in Mastercam (side B), you would change your WCS, Cplane, and Tplane to "Front".

Now when you go into any system graphics view (Top, Front, Right, Iso, ect), Side B will be facing up towards the spindle in your Iso graphics view.

In effect you have rotated the geometry in Mastercam, without actually moving it. You have just rotated the World Coordinate System (WCS) around your part to a new orientation. Now just create a new Toolpath group in the same operations list and create a new program.

You could use WCS to machine as many setups as you need to actually make the part. I'll program and entire part with 3 or more setups, using WCS, and never have to rotate the geometry at all.

HTH,

WCS is excellent for toolpaths as everybody says.

Don't forget that it can be just as helpful during some design or creation activities.

For example, you could use the WCS to orient the part and make some changes on a face with a compound angle...

And yes, you could have 1 solid in a file and have as many WCS as you like to machine multiple setups on that single part.

quote:

So in your opinion which file should we use or reference the most if we are using X2.

They're both for V9. They won't be very useful if you're using X. If you used the WCS in V9 in the past and you're familiar with the concepts, you should be able to figure it out in X. Once you do it once or twice, it should be smooth sailing.

If you've NEVER used WCS and now you're attempting to in X or X2, I'd say the tutorials will be of little, if any help. What needs to happen is bonehead (Copyright Storkman) needs to make a new one for X. wink.gif

Thad

I would tend to disagree that the v9 tutorial that Hardmill created would not help you in X or X2. I never had more then about 1 month in 9 before X came out and I used that tutorial to learn from.

There is a few things that could use to be updated, or simpler ways maybe to do it, but the tutorial is great and gives you a basic understanding of what WCS and how it works.

I have not read the actual Mastercam View/WCS book and I am sure it is great, but get the tutorial and read that thru first and see if it makes sense or not. I still had lots of questions after I did it, and occasionally still do...but it gives a good base.

I also learned the other day from my reseller that instead of making the 'crosshairs' (or half a crosshair, anyways) you can just click on PLANES and go PLANES BY GEOMETRY and select a circle (so long as the circle is flat) and it will create the WCS for you that way....just a shortened version of the tutorial way. =]