Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Pro E

millmold

We have tried all the different methods of converting from ProE and we get get slightly different results with each, none of which are particularly good. We have a licence of the ProE converter that we use, but we still get the same junk output that you do. You set your defaults to import only the solid, but you get the solid, untrimmed surfaces, and a bit of wireframe. It also imports on multiple levels. We have just accepted this for what it is and have to clean-up each any every file we import. Tons of wasted time. I have spoken to both sides about this issue and they say that ProE is not capable of producing a proper parasolid, and the Mastercam converter is not up to date with the current level of ProE. Better get used to it.

millmold

Do you have pro e on your pc?

Anyways,

quote:

When importing the designs I get untrimmed surfaces when the file is Iges and when I import step files the components will be save on multiple levels Can Anyone help?

Have the pro e dude export the files as levels with surfaces and wireframe edges.

[ 01-16-2008, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: edmBosto ]

I just uploaded a pdf file called PTC-export.pdf into Text_&_post_files_&_misc on cadcam's FTP site.

Not sure if it will help anyone but it tells various config settings to use in pro-e for exporting in iges to different cad programs.I use iges wireframe and surface and have very few problems at all with iges. HTH

cheers.gif

"...We have a licence of the ProE converter that we use, but we still get the same junk output that you do. You set your defaults to import only the solid, but you get the solid, untrimmed surfaces, and a bit of wireframe..."

Turn off the import of Pro/E Datums in the 'Options' page under File/Open.

Neither "millmold" nor "Prosin Molds" has let us know what version they're running - that also can make a difference.

Pete,

ProE Datums are turned off. Mcam X2 MR2 SP1. If you have any other suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. I have researched this thing to death and have not come up with anything that is seamless or even close. Solidworks to Mastercam is awesome conversion. ProE to Mastercam, not so good.

We use pro e wildfire 2.0 and I don't have to many problems. I import as trimed surfaces. Then do a curve slice I only do lathe work. It has a lot to do with who makes the part in pro e. Some of our guys do it different because a handful of people always have bad pro e parts when i import them.

am not as much of an expert as all of you here but maybe my input could be of help. Files i get are designed with wildfire2.0, 3.0 and catia. I don't have too much trouble and broken lines when i get a step files but if its IGES...it used to be hell. So what i do is I NEVER create curves from the file if its surfaces. it always comes up broken lines and dupes... what i do is create solid from surface and i check to delete original surfaces. That converts the entire into ONE entity unless there are broken arcs which are much easier for me to fix than going through the multi layer. So what i do next is IF there is wireframe lines and such... i give my new SOLID a different color. then i delete all curves 'usually they're all imported in one color'. Now with only the Solid.. i create my curves and lines that i need on it and i never get dupes. This process could sound really dumb but i saved alot of time using it personaly.. oh.. i wouldn't know how this would go with MRX2... i reverted back to MC9.1 for now until i manage to puzzle out this new software. cheers.gif

peace and hope that was of some help.

• 7 months later...

quote:

I just uploaded a pdf file called PTC-export.pdf into Text_&_post_files_&_misc on cadcam's FTP site.

Not sure if it will help anyone but it tells various config settings to use in pro-e for exporting in iges to different cad programs.I use iges wireframe and surface and have very few problems at all with iges. HTH

Does anyone have this file.. It doesnt seem to be on the ftp site anymore.

I use ProE for creating electrodes and Mastercam for milling. we have no problems importing proe parts directly to mcam. I use solidify when creating model in proe and i hide untrimed surfaces to a different layer and then hide it. I import solid model of electrode as trimmed surfaces and wireframe.

Sometimes i get additional surfaces od the layer 1000, thene i hide the layer. the difference is who is designer and HOW it is done!

quote:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone have this file.. It doesnt seem to be on the ftp site anymore.

hmmm, I thought it was there but just checked and it's not will. I'll try to upload again soon. If anyone needs it, shoot me a message.

cheers.gif