Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Bad Spindle

Midwest

Well the spindle just went out on our Hurco VMX 42 again.........Hurco replaced the last one at a reduced price. rolleyes.gif

This is a 10,000 rpm spindle warmed up every morning, was running at 9,000 when it started grinding and smoking.

Any advice on a replacement spindle that will last longer.

I didn't want this machine.......not my choice.

cheers.gif

Are you using balanced tooling? If not, maybe it´s your company fault, not the machine. Any spindle, from any machine builder, running at high speeds without balanced tools will have its lifetime reduced drastically, and will stop working sooner or later.

At these speeds (9000 RPM), depending of the weight and the lenght of the tool set, you can haze your spindle...

I would recommend you to start balancing your tool holders at G6.3 or even G2.5 class.

JM2C

Sometimes our spindles will last 9 months and sometimes they will last 6 weeks. We always warm it up and cool it down. We run our spindle between 14,000-16,000rpm when using diamond coated tooling. With carbide we usually stay around 3,000-12,000 rpm depending on what we are cutting. I agree with Jeff seems like luck of the draw. Sometimes the company that rebuilds our spindles does it under warranty.

quote:

Stone Machinery doing the service work?

Yes

quote:

How old is the machine ??

How long did the first spindle last ??

2003..... the spindle was replaced on 05

We have a Hass 1999 that does 80% of the work. 10,000 rpm

NO problems still original spindle, does all graphite and core and cavity work.

Except this time we just were finishing the core for a mold. It died while it was cutting the gates.

The Hass is always picked for a job over the Hurco by everyone here.

I'll just do easy low rpm work in the Hurco after this..............

cheers.gif

a 10,000 rpm spindle should last a couple years with day and night shift running even with not so unbalanced tools. A chiller and air oil lubrication would be the best bet but I think they are probably just greased spindles. Generally the builder does not build there own spindles they come from places like setco. I would try to find a quality cnc repair place and have them rebuild your spindle.

Does your machine have through the spindle coolant? If so has it ever been turned on without the proper pull stud on the tool in the spindle? If this happens and your coolant isn't filtered to near 10 microns it can back up under pressure and work its way into your spindle bearings and reduce their life.