Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam in Solidworks vs. Standalone Mastercam (original)

Mark H

As you may have heard CNC software has announced that they will have a version of Mastercam that will run in Solidworks.

I was curious to see how many would switch from Mastercam (the original stand alone program) to Mastercam running in Solidworks. At this time pricing is unknown and usually frowned upon wink.gif So I will have a couple of questions to handle that... Also for the sake of argument, lets just say that all toolpath features available in the current version of Mastercam would be implemented in the new Solidworks version.

Not sure why you did the poll.

This new product is NOT designed to replace Mastercam it is a new product that now allows the to get in the integrated market that they have previously not been able to even break into.

A decade from now SolidMaster will be CNC's

premier product and the debate will be whether

to put Mastercam out to pasture or not.

It will take a while to mautre, but eventually

it will be top dog.

I just built a setup in SolidWorks.

2 knees, riser blocks, 4 clamps, all from

shop sketches, then mated the stock and part. Start to finish 35 minutes.

I'm ready to export to MC and start toolpathing.

In SolidMaster ,when the machinist comes in and wants me to move the clamps, I can change 1 number in a mate, move the clamps and all associated toolpaths in 5 seconds.

Even the blazing fast old school V9 hotkey guys

can't come close to that.

As SolidMaster matures and gets new features

it will leave Mastercam in the dust.

Pricing is going to be a difficult issue.

To use SolidMaster you must buy and maintain

SolidWorks too. That makes pricing tricky

cause you've got some heavy overhead before you even think about buying SolidMaster

Lucky for me, I'm going for Solidworks training the 1st week of Feb. I know enough now to struggle through some stuff now, after this class, looks like a lot of personal time to get good at it if this is the way it's going. All looks good to me.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

As an AE I get certain "benefits" but I'm not sure that SolidWorks would extend those same "benefits" that Mastercam has extended to me. I guess what I'm saying is that if I have to pay for SolidWorks AND SolidWorks maintenance, I don't know that I would be interested in doing that due to the nature of my job and since I would be doing THEM a favor by using it. biggrin.gif

See how I am? biggrin.giftongue.gif

quote:

the first release of Mastercam for Solidworks will only have 3D toolpaths

that will limit its usefulness for a lot of people

I don't think I've ever done a part that I could machine compltete using only high speed toolpaths.

Mold guys might be able to do that, but not me.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...James, you could always become a part time distributer for them...

No thanks, been down that sales route before and it just ain't me. There's a saying out there, not really sure who it originated from, I believe it was a Football coach though... "... you are who you are...". biggrin.gif I are not a salesman! biggrin.gif

The "integrated" style of cam systems ('ala Camworks etc) gives me the runs. Admittedly, I haven't seen much of it lately, but my past experiences weren't good.

We use a mixture of Solidworks, Unigraphics, and Autocad (mainly Solidworks) for design here. We take any of those files, and bring them straight into Mastercam.

There was talk a while back (driven by some of the design guys) of getting an "integrated with Solidworks" kind of cam system, so that the guys in the design office could take control of the toolpaths, and do everything there... (Bear in mind, these guys have never programmed before)

Yeah... right...

Give me the standalone version of Mastercam any day.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...so that the guys in the design office could take control of the toolpaths, and do everything there... (Bear in mind, these guys have never programmed before)...

eek.gif

All I have to say is it's only going to take a few $30k service calls before that gets nipped in the butt. The one GREAT thing about this is when these cartoonists (and I'm being GENEROUS) fall on their arses we get to be heroes and perhaps even gain a shred of respect from the management folks.

I have been using a Solidworks / Griffo Bros. software combo to generate 2D programs for my Mazak machining centers for a couple years now and I can't say enough about the gains we have seen in productivity through our new streamlined, paperless manufacturing process. I have been waiting patiently for Mastercam to develop a similar solution so that I am not forced to leave the Solidworks enviroment. With a marriage between Mastercam and Solidworks I will be able to Design a piece part, Design the mold, pull trodes, create tool paths for all the components in the tool and generate set-up information seamlessly. Now I have got to get my hands on a BETA version of this SolidMaster I've heard mentioned. I'd like to know if the Solidmaster will run in the Solidworks Assy format.

The work your company does will either or not, justify it.

If you do a lot of engineering, design and assemblies, then Solidworks is something to consider. If you are in need of a true CAD system, SW's is something to consider. If part update, parametric drawings and revisions, creating prints easily are important, SW's is something to be considered.

If you are a job shop creating models to machine and basic sketches, while SW's would obviously be a nice addition it "might" be considered some what of an unneeded luxury.

That's is not my opinion but what I know many small shops think.

If it's my choice and I have the money in the budget to do it, I likely make the investment.