Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

boring head

Surface

I am contemplating purchasing a boring head for my machining center (CAT 40). I have a job with some 1.025 dia holes and a tolerance, which my machine can no longer hold via circular interpolation. I also have an old 3” offset boring head with an R8 shank. I am now faced with the question whether to purchase a straight or CAT 40 shank to make this head work in the machine, or to purchase one of the newer heads available from Iscar, Parlec or similar.

Either way, I know this is going to cost me some hard earned cash. It's just a matter of deciding how much.

My question to the forum is what other shops use for boring and what they may recommend.

Check out Criterions CRI-Bore system. I am not sure what type of tolerance has to be held but Criterion has boring heads that can hold + or - .0001 with a skilled operator and some good bore gages. Again not cheap roughly $1000.00 at J&L supply. With this boring system extensions of different lenghths can be added and still be able to remove a sizable amount of material in a single pass. I have used them myself and like them a lot. If you are holding only + or - .001 than you can purchase a more economical head from them and buy the expensive .0001 set head at later date if needed. The .001 heads are only around $350.00 + extensions + cat40 adapter.

We use the Romocron head. It is very good and easy to use. Pretty pricey though. Also have you tried to use the metric system. You can sometimes cheat with using the metric system and make the part come back into tolerance. Give it a try sometime. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

[ 05-07-2002, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: heeler ]

Hi,

I work at Criterion hence the @criterion,

depending on the tolerance you need to hold

we have twin cutters that would do this size of

bore but setting to tenths NEEDs a presetter. Almost impossible to do without. Also if boring head goes through a tool changer some of the less expensive heads change size. The Cri-Bore system can be bought as a tenth head and we use it in our own shop. It works well in a tool changer

Happy Boring!

Karl

This is a University mechanical workshop. All of our work is prototype, rarely more than ten off. When our 2nd hand 15 Y.O. Mazak arrived with not a lot of tooling we had a couple of BT40 to R8 adapters made as we had a lot of R8 equipment including two Wohlhaupter / Kuroda / Mizoguchi type facing and boring heads. These are great tools just as happy boring 1/4" as 4" in one tool and accurate to 0.0001" without the need for any special setting equipment. Hugh Venables.