Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

PRO/E VERSE SOLID WORKS or other Software

M_CODE1

We are in the process of looking for a higher end

design software than we currently use, which is Mastercam. Still plan on using Mastercam to program our laths and mills. What I am looking to do is design fixtures in solids/surfaces models then make 2D prints to make the fixture, and what ever other job comes up. Was wanting to know what everyone on emastercam would recommend for design software. I was looking into Pro/E a few months ago because one of our customs used that software and would like us to have it also. The price of the basic package was about 5K with out the maintance and training. Does anyone know about what Solid Works would cost? Any advice you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated

I would go with SolidWorks also. I took a ProE

class a few years ago and found SW to be much

easier to learn.

Anothe factor is Mastercam in SolidWorks , a new product coming out this year. Realistically, it

will probably be a while before you can build

fixtures with it. The first release will contain the 3D high speed toolpaths and drilling , but at some point you will be able to design and machine your tooling all in one interface.

If properly put together, SolidWorks design power

and Mastercam toolpaths with make a very

powerful Cad/Cam package.

A few years ago I would have said run from Pro-e. But wildfire is not bad at all. I have only played with it with someone there to ask questions but the software really seemed pretty easy to use compared to the pre-wildfire days. I have used solidworks and prefer it, but I would certainly look at both, especially if your main customer has it.

JM2C

Does any do any importing of native Pro/E files into Solid Works? Do they translate smoothly?

I see that my local reseller of Solid Works has hands on Seminars at there office for you to

"test drive" the software". Looks like something I should invesagate. The Pro/E rep never had any thing like that, probally could talk him into coming here to give me a demo.

quote:

Does any do any importing of native Pro/E files into Solid Works? Do they translate smoothly

At a previous job we got a lot of very complex

ProE solid models from Rayteon. They sent them to us as step files and IGES. I was surprised at how well IGES (aka I Guess) came in, but steps came perfectly.

Take a look at the support out there. There are so many SW users (here alone) that training, technical support, questions, etc. are much more available. Most community colleges have sw training, i've only seen a few with pro/e.

When people compare initial entry into various cam software, i always tell them about the support. Just about any mastercam question you have can be answered in around 5 minutes. Usually by John Paris. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...Take a look at the support out there. There are so many SW users (here alone) that training, technical support, questions, etc. are much more available. Most community colleges have sw training, i've only seen a few with pro/e...

+1

quote:

...Just about any mastercam question you have can be answered in around 5 minutes. Usually by John Paris...

+14,531 biggrin.gif

I have used both SW and PRo-E. For simple stuff I prefer SW, but Pro-E seems to be better at complicated assemblies and customizable with the relations feature. We have one standard product line that is driven with Pro-E Family tables and it works really well, not to mention the years behind getting there. Pro-E in my opinion harder to pick up than SW.

Greg.

A friend of mine owns a engineering/design company

in Toronto and he has the latest in both.

(He also has Catia for certain clients)expensive!!

His major work is designing concept cars for

major automotive companies

He is a wizard at both and really fast at both

he prefers pro-e because he has many clients who

use pro-e.

to each his own I suppose.