Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Need to justify faster computer

Sandybar

The Benchmark thread has open my eyes with workstations that are much faster than the HP workstation xw 6200 we are currently using here. I spend a great deal of time processing toolpaths for patterns, molds, and rapid prototype parts. When doing patterns and molds the tolerance is tighten up and processing time is often into the hours.

With what appears to be more than 50% processing time savings, using the benchmark thread as a guide, I could in reality proecess toolplaths much faster.

I need to convience "upper management" with more than processing time savings. How do I put a number for machine idle time while the machine is waiting for code. Or would dual sessions help out that much more. I'm often processing toolpaths for 2 different jobs.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

It mostly depends on how much the powers that be, know about programming. A lot of people have no idea how much power you need to process large patterns and molds. Heck, I used to work for a place that would spend 5000 dollars to justify a 3000 dollar computer. Then they would tell you there was no money left in the budget. Good luck, hopefully your boss can understand what makes him money and what costs him money.

Sandybar,

I'm do for a new one myself. I had to do some 3D work today and my computer lags during verify. There pretty good about keeping up to date where I work so a new computer should't be a problem. I just need to find the time to pick something out. I hate to make a rush decsion when buying a computer. My advice is keep doing the research like you are, decide what you want, find it for a good deal, then run it by them. The bottom line is that a fast computer can really make a big difference in how fast the work gets done so in the long run it will save them money.